New assistant coach

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to crews' contract negotiation I didn't realize that the video coordinator position was created as a result of his negotiations according to tom tims article on cc. Say what you want about the position its another good sign of the programs commitment

Here's a nice comment from a poster on the Indiana site who goes by Hoosierpapa:

"hoosierpapa Michael Crawleyan hour ago0 upvotes

Good luck to Calbert. Right time Right Job end of story. Real issue is that Saint Louis just became a major player both on and off the court. Team Crews/Cheany will be big time every year quickly. They will challenge us both on the court. They will have great coaches with a lot of NBA experience."

I absolutely love this hire. Calbert has always been known as a glue guy, an absolutely terrific person who keeps everybody gelling. He will be a tremendous role model and mentor for the players and one who have their respect from day one. Love it!

Here's a nice comment from a poster on the Indiana site who goes by Hoosierpapa:

"hoosierpapa Michael Crawleyan hour ago0 upvotes

Good luck to Calbert. Right time Right Job end of story. Real issue is that Saint Louis just became a major player both on and off the court. Team Crews/Cheany will be big time every year quickly. They will challenge us both on the court. They will have great coaches with a lot of NBA experience."

Love. This. :) nice time to find time to get back on the board. Very happy about this. It's almost time again and I'm ecstatic!

If nothing else, with danny brown and wilson, chaney gives us a hell of a practice team.

I definitely like the hire, but the more frequent failure of ex nba players in the college ranks gives me pause to "wait and see" before annoiting chaney as heir to the HC.

A DOB is not even close to an assistant. To see if he can handle the rigors and disappointments of recruiting and trying to teach what came so easy for calbert will be interesting to follow. Will he turn into billy donovan or clyde drexler. We shall see.

Still i appreciate and like the message sent with the hire.

Roy. For what it's worth, I will now go on record to say that I would NOT like to see Calbert Chaney as our next Head Coach - even 6 years from now.

Again, we would need a guy who has shown the ability to preferably be a head coach and do all necessary things required. Knowing the game and being an assistant is only part of the equation. Being able to teach the game, command the respect of the team, handle players by sitting them down for talks, benching them and even letting them go is a skill that only a head coach can truly know. In addition, he must recruit players, recruit a staff, handle media relations, kiss ass to the AAU coaches, school administration and boosters... Our program is already at the level that we should never take the chance on some unproven former college player/NBA guy. Possibly if Chaney were to stay and work his way up over the next 6 years, if he excelled in all aspects given to him, then he should be considered. At the same time, he will never have had prior head coaching experience and he only would be familiar with the inner workings at Indiana (as a player and DBO) and then at SLU. Having that additional job at another place, as top assistant coach of a BCS school or head coach of another school, IMO, is extremely important.

In comparison, Jim Crews has been a head coach prior - on 2 occasions. Same with Majerus, Romar and Spoon.

Great impact hire for many reasons as cited; high potential.

We don't know if he can coach, teach, organize, motivate, lead, all of that... but he could be a very significant contributor. He should be able to help a lot in recruiting with his credentials alone; plus, a strong Indiana connection.

I like it. Good move by Jim Crews. HE is the one that got Chaney here.

But, as broy says, we shall see...

Roy. For what it's worth, I will now go on record to say that I would NOT like to see Calbert Chaney as our next Head Coach - even 6 years from now.

Again, we would need a guy who has shown the ability to preferably be a head coach and do all necessary things required. Knowing the game and being an assistant is only part of the equation. Being able to teach the game, command the respect of the team, handle players by sitting them down for talks, benching them and even letting them go is a skill that only a head coach can truly know. In addition, he must recruit players, recruit a staff, handle media relations, kiss ass to the AAU coaches, school administration and boosters... Our program is already at the level that we should never take the chance on some unproven former college player/NBA guy. Possibly if Chaney were to stay and work his way up over the next 6 years, if he excelled in all aspects given to him, then he should be considered. At the same time, he will never have had prior head coaching experience and he only would be familiar with the inner workings at Indiana (as a player and DBO) and then at SLU. Having that additional job at another place, as top assistant coach of a BCS school or head coach of another school, IMO, is extremely important.

In comparison, Jim Crews has been a head coach prior - on 2 occasions. Same with Majerus, Romar and Spoon.

Are you sh*tten me. Why do you think you become an assistant except to learn how do do all the things you mentioned.

What a crap post, give the man a break! This is the only relevant part of your post in bold.

Congratulations to Father Biondi for this great hire as one of his last acts as president.

Congratulations to Father Biondi for finally getting out of the way, is how I would see it. I am, however, just a MESSAGE BOARD MORON.

I still can't believe Calbert Cheaney is now associated with SLU. I'm almost as excited as I was when the Majerus hire was announced. Billllllliiiieesssss

Why would anyone want to say they do NOT (in capitals) want him as a head coach before he has spent a single day in the job and showed what he could or could not do for the program at SLU? I think these pre emptive crucifixion calls, as traditionally Catholic in imagery as they may be, are unjustified. Let the man do what he will do, let him impress the living ____ out of us, or not, before we take positions in this regard. Clock I think you are out of line here.

Here's a pipe dream to throw out there. Please don't respond that it will never happen, because I already get it. It's just nice to dream.

Roby (LOI) goes to White Station H.S. in Memphis. His teamate and fellow senior at White Station is Leron Black (6'7", 215), a five star recruit on Rivals that is ranked #22 in the country for 2014. Indiana is one of four schools listed on Rivals as being "high interest" for Black. The others are Baylor, Illinois, and Tennessee. Black has a visit scheduled to Indiana on September 20. I have no idea if CC was/is involved in his recruiting, but it would be a nice present to his new employer if CC could get Black to add a visit to SLU.

Here's a pipe dream to throw out there. Please don't respond that it will never happen, because I already get it. It's just nice to dream.

Roby (LOI) goes to White Station H.S. in Memphis. His teamate and fellow senior at White Station is Leron Black (6'7", 215), a five star recruit on Rivals that is ranked #22 in the country for 2014. Indiana is one of four schools listed on Rivals as being "high interest" for Black. The others are Baylor, Illinois, and Tennessee. Black has a visit scheduled to Indiana on September 20. I have no idea if CC was/is involved in his recruiting, but it would be a nice present to his new employer if CC could get Black to add a visit to SLU.

I really like the way you think.

Put me in the camp of people who love this hire! Everything I read says this is a class guy with great credentials as a player and he did an excellent job in a short time at Indiana when they were rebuilding and recruiting at a very high level. the fact that Calbert seems to be willing to work his way up the food chain and learn the ropes from an excellent mentor and experienced head coach who just was awarded several coach of the year awards says a lot about him as a person. This is a statement hire--no way an outstanding well known former player from IU is going to leave there unless he thought he could be part of an excellent team and organization.

Clock, I was interested to see if some of our typical trolls would come out of the woodwork and take shots at this hire but that has not happened. You seem to be the only one who feels it necessary to say negative things before this coach has even stepped on the court in Billiken blue. It is a shame that you have such a negative view. Everyone deserves a full opportunity to learn, develop and advance. I could not be more excited about a coaching hire, particularly this late in the day when most staffs have been in place and solidified for months.

So much wrong with this post. So much wrong...

Only the head coach and assistant coaches can make recruiting contact. Chaney would have zero recruiting contacts at this point

The guy has the job for a day and we're already discussing his qualifications for HC 6 years down the road? Comparisons to all former NBA'ers who've failed? Puhleeeze, gimme a break. He's a rookie AC. Can we give him sometime to learn all the ropes, while at the same time let him coach to his strengths? The guy's been a Naismith/Wooden POY, leading B1G scorer, 13 years in the NBA, multiple NCAA tourneys under a HOF coach, and comes to us from a blue blood program. That's a pretty impressive résumé, but, of course, he now has to live up to it. Given the success he's already had in his young life, and he is still a young man, let's give him a chance to continue it at SLU. He's a high character guy who's probably forgotten more about hoops than all of us combined know. Let's just appreciate the hire for what it is; a promising young man who just got presented a great opportunity to reach his goals. I guess some of you would have been happier had we hired a pharmaceutical rep, like Butler did a few years ago. I wonder what the success rate of Big Pharma reps who became HC's is?

Only the head coach and assistant coaches can make recruiting contact. Chaney would have zero recruiting contacts at this point

Yeah I think there is confusion because someone posted the DBO job description that included a lot of things about scheduling recruiting visits. A DBO scheduling recruiting visits doesn't make them a recruiter just like a legal secretary scheduling client meetings doesn't make them an attorney.

This isn't to say I don't think Calbert will be a good recruiter. I think he will. However, he doesn't really have any experience with it.

The guy has the job for a day and we're already discussing his qualifications for HC 6 years down the road? Comparisons to all former NBA'ers who've failed? Puhleeeze, gimme a break. He's a rookie AC. Can we give him sometime to learn all the ropes, while at the same time let him coach to his strengths? The guy's been a Naismith/Wooden POY, leading B1G scorer, 13 years in the NBA, multiple NCAA tourneys under a HOF coach, and comes to us from a blue blood program. That's a pretty impressive résumé, but, of course, he now has to live up to it. Given the success he's already had in his young life, and he is still a young man, let's give him a chance to continue it at SLU. He's a high character guy who's probably forgotten more about hoops than all of us combined know. Let's just appreciate the hire for what it is; a promising young man who just got presented a great opportunity to reach his goals. I guess some of you would have been happier had we hired a pharmaceutical rep, like Butler did a few years ago. I wonder what the success rate of Big Pharma reps who became HC's is?

Pretty good.

Yeah I think there is confusion because someone posted the DBO job description that included a lot of things about scheduling recruiting visits. A DBO scheduling recruiting visits doesn't make them a recruiter just like a legal secretary scheduling client meetings doesn't make them an attorney.

This isn't to say I don't think Calbert will be a good recruiter. I think he will. However, he doesn't really have any experience with it.

Let him be a state senator first.