Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds a bit like Polk.

Polk didnt have a great SLU career but things probably would have been.different if he had not gotten.injured.

Or if he had made any of his first 1,352 three-point attempts.

Or if he had made any of his first 1,352 three-point attempts.

Oddly enough Polk shot better than Marque Perry and only took 19 more 3 point shots than Marque did in his career.

There is plenty of value to be found in spring classes. The spring isn't the same as it was even 4 years ago. A lot more players are transferring. More recruits are waiting until spring to sign hoping for that higher level offer. Quite simply, there is just more talent available in the spring than in the past.

The notion that we should be satisfied with "leftovers" in the spring because of the coaching instability is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago I would feel differently. I expect to sign players of value to the program whether they are juco transfers, juco qualifiers, D1 transfers, commits available from coaches firings, or just true freshman.

edit: Also - for the record - I don't view the guys we are pursuing at this point as leftovers. I like the names I have heard.

We definitely need the 6'10" JUCO- With the pieces in place and him it could be another special year.

If you are referring to Djambo, I could not agree more. We desperately need someone to help Evans on the glass next year. I would love a starting five of Mccall, Jett, Loe, Evans and Djambo. Of course, after that things fall off a cliff but at least our starting five would be respectable

If you are referring to Djambo, I could not agree more. We desperately need someone to help Evans on the glass next year. I would love a starting five of Mccall, Jett, Loe, Evans and Djambo. Of course, after that things fall off a cliff but at least our starting five would be respectable

Our starting five next year would be respectable with or without Djambo.

Also, put me down as somebody who still thinks Manning will be good.

We could still bring in JM, GG, JB, McBroom and Drew off the bench. Certainly not as dynamic as our bench this year, but I'm not yet ready to concede that it would be falling off the cliff.

There is plenty of value to be found in spring classes. The spring isn't the same as it was even 4 years ago. A lot more players are transferring. More recruits are waiting until spring to sign hoping for that higher level offer. Quite simply, there is just more talent available in the spring than in the past.

The notion that we should be satisfied with "leftovers" in the spring because of the coaching instability is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago I would feel differently. I expect to sign players of value to the program whether they are juco transfers, juco qualifiers, D1 transfers, commits available from coaches firings, or just true freshman.

edit: Also - for the record - I don't view the guys we are pursuing at this point as leftovers. I like the names I have heard.

So I'm not an expert and I'm not going to comb through all the records of past seasons, but if I pull up the Scout Top 100, only 6 of those players are still uncommitted at this point. That is 6% for the math impaired.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2013

I'm sure the numbers improve as we move into the 3 star recruits as more players will be available but I'm not buying that there are just tons and tons of top quality highschool players available at this point. I do agree that transfers are more plentiful and some value can be found there (in fact most of my posts on this subject have suggested 1 HS, 1 juco and 1 transfer would be the right spring class).

from Fairfield board:

From Scout -
Roselle Catholic (NJ) point guard Hakim Saintil spoke with BillikenReport.com about his recruitment and how he feels about the Billikens.

When six-foot point guard Hakim Saintil watches Saint Louis University, he sees himself.

“Saint Louis is my style of play,” he told BillikenReport.com. “They have recruited small guards in the past. They know how to develop them. I see some of myself in them.”

Another appealing part of the Billikens is the Atlantic 10 Conference.

“Outside the power conferences, it’s right there,” Saintil said. “It’s one of the best. SLU was probably the most underrated team in the country until people started noticing how good they were.”

Fairfield has come on strong recently, but they came in late to the process. That hasn’t stopped Saintil from taking notice of their program.

“They have two guards graduating, so I see an opportunity,” he said. “The coach is a former point guard as well.”

ps: as for starters next year: GG is a returning starter. I don't think many on here seem to be recognizing the significant upside of GG. Please remember the vast improvement of some recent guys his size here at SLU (i.e. Conklin and Evans).
someone wrote: I would love a starting five of Mccall, Jett, Loe, Evans and Djambo. Of course, after that things fall off a cliff but at least our starting five would be respectable.
that is really missing the point about recent improvements we've witnessed with the upper classmen. I repeat: GG is one of 4 returning starters on a top-20 team. Do people on here really think we've seen the best of GG (or JM)?? guess again ....

i will not debate docB on player potential/development as i remember he was the first to tell us that "Shaft" Evans would be a total stud. many of us incorrectly totally discounted that at the time. a bigtime hit like that earns mega equity points. if docB says so, better let it play out.

from Fairfield board:

From Scout -

Roselle Catholic (NJ) point guard Hakim Saintil spoke with BillikenReport.com about his recruitment and how he feels about the Billikens.

When six-foot point guard Hakim Saintil watches Saint Louis University, he sees himself.

“Saint Louis is my style of play,” he told BillikenReport.com. “They have recruited small guards in the past. They know how to develop them. I see some of myself in them.”

Another appealing part of the Billikens is the Atlantic 10 Conference.

“Outside the power conferences, it’s right there,” Saintil said. “It’s one of the best. SLU was probably the most underrated team in the country until people started noticing how good they were.”

Fairfield has come on strong recently, but they came in late to the process. That hasn’t stopped Saintil from taking notice of their program.

“They have two guards graduating, so I see an opportunity,” he said. “The coach is a former point guard as well.”

ps: as for starters next year: GG is a returning starter. I don't think many on here seem to be recognizing the significant upside of GG. Please remember the vast improvement of some recent guys his size here at SLU (i.e. Conklin and Evans).
someone wrote: I would love a starting five of Mccall, Jett, Loe, Evans and Djambo. Of course, after that things fall off a cliff but at least our starting five would be respectable.
that is really missing the point about recent improvements we've witnessed with the upper classmen. I repeat: GG is one of 3 returning starters on a top-20 team. Do people on here really think we've seen the best of GG (or JM)?? guess again ....

Actually, GG is one of 4 returning starters...

GG was a four-minute-per-half player. This was the case with Oregon, New Mexico State, VCU, Butler and Charlotte as we moved towards the NCAAs. Count me in the camp that believes both he and JM have a L-O-N-G way to go. There will be matchups where GG and even JM may excel. But once-in-a-blue-moon moments have to give way to stronger, more extended, and more consistent contributions.

Book is not closed but there are many more chapters to come ....

I think some people are underestimating McBroom, Drew, and Manning. They have the experience of practicing with the team for one year and Manning for two years with in-game experience. I believe that GG will work especially hard on his game and improve drastically over the summer. He knows on what he needs to work. Our bench may be very good next year. If we get Djambo there is no guarantee he will start over Manning. Crews said that Manning will get a lot of playing time next year.

I think some people are underestimating McBroom, Drew, and Manning. They have the experience of practicing with the team for one year and Manning for two years with in-game experience. I believe that GG will work especially hard on his game and improve drastically over the summer. He knows on what he needs to work. Our bench may be very good next year. If we get Djambo there is no guarantee he will start over Manning. Crews said that Manning will get a lot of playing time next year.

It also seems that JUCOs - at least the ones who have played for SLU over the last few decades - typically don't become fully acclimated to D1 ball until their senior seasons.

I could see GG getting around 16 mpg. He can rebound, play D, provide some toughness, get some steals and loose balls, put-backs and some baskets on the break - he can really run the floor. I would take something around 6/7 ppg and 4/5 rpg.

With Cody gone, we will need to find some more offense from our bigs. There is a real opportunity for Rob to up his production to about 10 ppg. Maybe Manning could provide a little more offense than Remekun.

Actually, GG is one of 4 returning starters...

noted. thanks; I knew it but did not put 2 and 2 together. doh...

and to counter another response: he started for a reason: he has amazing energy and above average athletic ability and he always seems to be in the right place at the right time in scrimmages/ practice. he will not be a 4 min./ half player in the future. could be wrong, but I think the upside is significant with GG.

another correction to earlier posts: Saintil has bee given 3-star rank in some of the ratings systems, not always just 2-star.