Recruiting - 2013

From the internets:

@AdamZagoria: Roselle Catholic G Hakim Saintil did not commit to Rider and St. Louis remains his top choice, head coach Dave Boff tells @SNYtv

Bweixscout also reported saintil still likes slu

Nice.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the internets:

@AdamZagoria: Roselle Catholic G Hakim Saintil did not commit to Rider and St. Louis remains his top choice, head coach Dave Boff tells @SNYtv

Looks like Saintil retweeted the Zagoria tweet, FWIW.

From the internets:

Is this... good? That we beat out something called Rider? For a two-star recruit?

Is this... good? That we beat out something called Rider? For a two-star recruit?

If he eventually commits to us, then yes it is a good thing. Expectations for this years class need to be realistic and signing kids that our coaching staff likes and think can fit in is as good as its going to get. I'd take him, a JUCO and a transfer and be thrilled at the end of the day.

Flght is correct. It's time to stop putting so much stock in the amount of stars a recruit does or doesn't get as well as who else is recruiting them. We aren't looking for the best player, we are looking for the best player that fits in with the system and is committed to playing defense first basketball.

I mean, this all sounds good, but is it realistic? I'm not ready to completely dismiss the rankings based on two years of moderate success with low-rated recruits. Maybe this kid will turn into another Evans-caliber talent, but it's certainly a little concerning that no one of any consequence seems to be recruiting this guy. Of course, I'll be happy to be proven wrong in a few years.

I mean, this all sounds good, but is it realistic? I'm not ready to completely dismiss the rankings based on two years of moderate success with low-rated recruits. Maybe this kid will turn into another Evans-caliber talent, but it's certainly a little concerning that no one of any consequence seems to be recruiting this guy. Of course, I'll be happy to be proven wrong in a few years.

The simple fact is there aren't any 4 or 5 star recruits available in the spring that SLU would have any shot in hell of getting. The 3 stars are pretty picked over too at this point. So once you come to grips with the fact that the intern coaching situation pretty much doomed this year's recruiting class to being one where we try to find some hidden gems and maybe get lucky with a transfer or two, you'll come to realize that this would be a pretty solid signing. Not every signing needs to be, or can be, a Dwayne Evans type impact player.

We currently have an interim coach (still) and no signs of finalizing a coaching staff. I'll take anyone who is willing to sign on the dotted line.

Players all progress at different paces at different times. Everyone knows a kid who was an absolute stud playing a sport in the Eight grade or sophomore year and then never progresses. Speaking of which, for all of you who think that John Manning is a failure because he's not averaging a double-double as a sophomore, look up Jeff Withey's stats as a freshman and sophomore. This Saintill kid is someone who has been a complimentary player on a great team with 4 and 5 star recruits, and every team needs great complimentary players. Not everyone can be the star.

As to Saintil's rating, I haven't seen the kid play, but here's one thing that sticks out to me. A few weeks back, his high school team beat St. Anthony's for the New Jersey state title. Some of you might know about St. Anthony's. They're one of the most storied high school basketball programs in the country. Every year they send several players to D1 schools, and big names at that. They're coached by Bobby and Dan Hurley's dad. A few years ago, there was an excellent documentary about the school's basketball program.

Anyway, Saintil's team beat them, and from what I read, Saintil was the best player.

Looks like there may have been some issues with Saintil, or maybe he failed to act on early offers? This forum post from Cincy in 2012 indicates that Cincy, SMU and K-State offered Saintil:

http://forums.bearcatnews.com/showthread.php?t=11567

Rivals in 2012 listed his offers as Cincy, SMU, Rhode Island, South Carolina, K-State, Rutgers, Seton Hall and Syracuse.

Was there an injury or other issues?

Some of you, don't kid yourself.

Of course it is better to have a few 4* recruits than 2* recruits. It matters in the long run.

Sure some 2*'s turn out better but overall the 4*'s are superior.

Don't forget, we just had the best streak of pure luck in Billiken history... his name was Rick Majerus. HOF legend.

We will need even better recruits than he got to keep pace with what he achieved and keep us at this level in 2014 and beyond.

Looks like there may have been some issues with Saintil, or maybe he failed to act on early offers? This forum post from Cincy in 2012 indicates that Cincy, SMU and K-State offered Saintil:

http://forums.bearcatnews.com/showthread.php?t=11567

Rivals in 2012 listed his offers as Cincy, SMU, Rhode Island, South Carolina, K-State, Rutgers, Seton Hall and Syracuse.

Was there an injury or other issues?

Sorry. Here's the Rivals link:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Hakim-Saintil-134585

As to Saintil's rating, I haven't seen the kid play, but here's one thing that sticks out to me. A few weeks back, his high school team beat St. Anthony's for the New Jersey state title. Some of you might know about St. Anthony's. They're one of the most storied high school basketball programs in the country. Every year they send several players to D1 schools, and big names at that. They're coached by Bobby and Dan Hurley's dad. A few years ago, there was an excellent documentary about the school's basketball program.

Anyway, Saintil's team beat them, and from what I read, Saintil was the best player.

Here's an article regarding that game. St. Anthony's had been 93-1 since 2010. Says Saintil was the difference in the game--"spunky" 5'11" PG.

http://blog.nj.com/hudsonhssports/2013/03/st_anthony_stunned_by_roselle.html

Seems as though Saintil's HS and AAU teammate Tyler Roberson, a 4-star Syracuse commit, made it known in his recruitment that he'd like to have Saintil on his college team as well. Might account for some of the major D-1 offers Saintilhad prior to Roberson's commitment.

http://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=5526

Being recruited by Coach Savino. Teammate of Tyler Roberson who is quoted in an article, "Four-star recruit Tyler Roberson on if Kansas State's scholarship offer to Hakim Saintil, his high school teammate, would play a role in his impending college choice: "It's not going to be the main factor, but if me and Hakim end up at the same school, it would be nice. We've been playing (AAU) with each other for a long time." (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask.../post/16473437)

Fair amount of info on him at the Fairfield board, including ESPN scouting report:

ESPN scouting report

Strengths:

Saintil is a quick playmaking guard who constantly gets himself into the paint. He's got a quick first step to both sides and is very proficient at turning the corner when coming off of ball screens. He's a very good passer off the dribble, a threat with his pull-up, and a potentially good defender down the road.

Weaknesses:

He's the type of guy who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He's a little undersized, albeit strong in his core, and the type of guy who throws assists but not the pass that leads to the assist. He isn't a great shooter from behind the arc and needs to be in complete rhythm to make shots with any type of consistency.

Bottom Line:

He's a drive-first playmaking style lead guard who is going to create scoring opportunities for himself and others but needs the ball in his hands and a good amount of freedom in order to play his game.

Read more: http://fairfieldstags.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=626#ixzz2PA3g4dqe

When I see 2* I always think that it's the default rating for players at school that don't get much exposure and therefore not many scouts get to see that player. What bothers me is that he plays for a well covered team with a 4* recruit and is still considered a 2*. With that said, we have spots open and I don't see nothing wrong with having competition at that position. It has been said before but most of our players are 2* and we are a top 25 teams.