Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that we did no recruiting during the season has more to do with losing out on these recruits than the delay process of officially hiring Crews. Theses other schools have had long relationships with these kids and we are entering in late.

The fact that we did no recruiting during the season has more to do with losing out on these recruits than the delay process of officially hiring Crews. Theses other schools have had long relationships with these kids and we are entering in late.

Ugh, where did you see that we did "no" recruiting this season? Hmm? Every 'insider' on this board has said Crews and company have been hitting recruiting hard all year. You also seem to forget we signed Crawford in the middle of the season...

Ugh, where did you see that we did "no" recruiting this season? Hmm? Every 'insider' on this board has said Crews and company have been hitting recruiting hard all year. You also seem to forget we signed Crawford in the middle of the season...

Crews said it himself. He said he wanted to focus on the team this season and that meant not doing much recruiting. He wanted to be there for the players not out recruiting. I get his point but you have to go recruit. Yes, we have been hitting the recruiting trail hard but its late.

Crews said it himself. He said he wanted to focus on the team this season and that meant not doing much recruiting. He wanted to be there for the players not out recruiting. I get his point but you have to go recruit. Yes, we have been hitting the recruiting trail hard but its late.

I can't believe this is the case and if it is he should be let go immediately. Life must go on for all of us after we lose someone. You cannot just let everything around you fall apart. Taking a year off from recruiting is absolutely inexcusable when you are the head coach of a division 1 basketball team.

I just can't help myself--but this is a perfect example of what I was saying yesterday. Here is a post that is an absolute lie--false in every respect but this idiot poster offers it as proven fact. The truth is that this staff has been recruiting hard for many months and Jim Crews was in more gyms this year than RM was in his entire time at SLU. We are talking to many recruits and the fact that some made other choices is never a surprise for any school.

Not sure why you are angry with me, Jim Crews is the one who said it to Frank Cusamano on Channel 5 a few days after the season. You should be mad at him not me. He said he did not recruit during the season to dedicate his attention to the team. He could of been lying but that's what he said

Not sure why you are angry with me, Jim Crews is the one who said it to Frank Cusamano on Channel 5 a few days after the season. You should be mad at him not me. He said he did not recruit during the season to dedicate his attention to the team. He could of been lying but that's what he said

I also heard Crews say it, but I took it to mean that there was a period following RM's death, that he didn't do any recruiting, because he wanted to focus all of his attention on the team and their well-being. I don't think he shut down recruiting all together.

I think it was that same interview where I heard him say that there would be an announcement one way or the other about his status by the end of last week. :blink:

I'm sorry Westy but if you're going to correct Billikan you must be both correct AND use proper English. It should read "He could've been lying." Sorry to have to call you out...... :P

I just can't help myself--but this is a perfect example of what I was saying yesterday. Here is a post that is an absolute lie--false in every respect but this idiot poster offers it as proven fact. The truth is that this staff has been recruiting hard for many months and Jim Crews was in more gyms this year than RM was in his entire time at SLU. We are talking to many recruits and the fact that some made other choices is never a surprise for any school.

-I am glad you are back!!

-site is like crack, isn't it??

I also heard Crews say it, but I took it to mean that there was a period following RM's death, that he didn't do any recruiting, because he wanted to focus all of his attention on the team and their well-being. I don't think he shut down recruiting all together.

I think it was that same interview where I heard him say that there would be an announcement one way or the other about his status by the end of last week. :blink:

Thanks for the clarification, Ace. I knew I wasn't going crazy about what he said. Oh well, lets get this damn contract done and get some recruits committed. Lets go Jimmy Crews.

Billikan, im extremely confident that Jim Crews will bring in some talented players and im also very optimistic about the program going forward.

Thanks for the clarification, Ace. I knew I wasn't going crazy about what he said. Oh well, lets get this damn contract done and get some recruits committed. Lets go Jimmy Crews.

Billikan, im extremely confident that Jim Crews will bring in some talented players and im also very optimistic about the program going forward.

Billikan or anybody, can you fill me in on why Soderberg was fired on April 17 and not right after the season? How did that all go down? Clearly there was a period following the 2007 season where they thought Soderberg was coming back. Why the indecision?

Billikan or anybody, can you fill me in on why Soderberg was fired on April 17 and not right after the season? How did that all go down? Clearly there was a period following the 2007 season where they thought Soderberg was coming back. Why the indecision?

What point are you trying to make here, ACE? Seems like you are just flogging a dead horse just to try to get under somebody's skin.

That is exactly what I recall from the interview, including finalizing things by the end of last week.

What point are you trying to make here, ACE? Seems like you are just flogging a dead horse just to try to get under somebody's skin.

You would be wrong. I would like to know from an insider what the deal was? It is highly unusual to make a coaching coach that late, correct? That was an instance where it looked like the powers that be were bumbling around with the process, even though they ultimately got it right. The timing could have been better. If somebody can shed light on what went do, I'm just curious.

As it relates to now, from the outside it again appears like the timing of this decision is being fumbled. It appears like there is a lot of indecision. Again, if somebody can shed light on the situation, I am open to hearing a plausible answer. If the answer is Biondi was out of town, that is a

Sh!tty answer.

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."

There still hasn't been a good answer for why this decision is taking so long. Unless you know May, Biondi, or JC very personally or are a big enough booster that you are in the coaching conversation, I expect the big boosters out there will be told 'everything is peachy and on track' for obvious reasons...

Just saying... if everything was peachy and Biondi has been in town for the past 1-2 weeks, then this would be a done deal last week. Something is up, IMO...

Billikan freaked out worse than Roy when Sodie got the ax.

Anyone know who is Jim Crew's agent? Sometimes (a lot) those guys are really hard to deal with. Maybe he got the inside scoop that Crews is the COY and he wants to hold out thinking that drives up his value. I don't see Crews being that way but it's not a bad way to play it to get paid.

I'd get paid and head straight over to Sauget. You know how far $1.5mil goes at one of those places on a Wednesday at lunch time?

Really how far does it go? I got a scratch off I'm feeling pretty good about and it's either pay the deductible on my roof for hail damage or hit Sauget.

i hesitate to post this as the kanman will go nuts, and i am admitting it is 3rd hand so more than likely some bending of the facts might be involved (not from me, but from the pipeline to me),

but ace i had heard that soderberg had already been given the vote of confidence from levick and was even on a recruiting trip to fianalize the verbal for eberhardt when big shot boosters (how many involved i dont know) twisted biondi's arm to overrule levick and ax soderberg when it became apparent that levick was not going to fire him. thus the late date. if true, the kanman probably was at that $25k and above luncheon when the bigtime billiken backers who are the real fans decided it.

i hesitate to post this as the kanman will go nuts, and i am admitting it is 3rd hand so more than likely some bending of the facts might be involved (not from me, but from the pipeline to me),

but ace i had heard that soderberg had already been given the vote of confidence from levick and was even on a recruiting trip to fianalize the verbal for eberhardt when big shot boosters (how many involved i dont know) twisted biondi's arm to overrule levick and ax soderberg when it became apparent that levick was not going to fire him. thus the late date. if true, the kanman probably was at that $25k and above luncheon when the bigtime billiken backers who are the real fans decided it.

I believe Soderberg was on a recruiting trip in Kentucky recruiting a kid who wound up choosing Western Kentucky. The kid's name escapes me, but he was a real nice player. Like an undersized inside player, a bit like Dwight Evans. His name escaped me, but I watched him play a few times. I think he helped WKU beat Illinois in the Big Dance. Anyway, it seemed like right after we didn't land that kid, Sodie was gone.

I believe Soderberg was on a recruiting trip in Kentucky recruiting a kid who wound up choosing Western Kentucky. The kid's name escapes me, but he was a real nice player. Like an undersized inside player, a bit like Dwight Evans. His name escaped me, but I watched him play a few times. I think he helped WKU beat Illinois in the Big Dance. Anyway, it seemed like right after we didn't land that kid, Sodie was gone.

Pettigrew?