Coaching movement that might affect SLU

35 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

Nah. The Illinois power brokers would not be okay with Ford. I suspect they will try to make a splash hire if Groce is fired.

From what I've heard they've already made contact with Martin's people

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Just heard Ford on 101.1. After he was off they said they didn't ask him about the Mizzou job because they were requested not to ask him about by SLU and Ford. 

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Why would SLU request he not be asked about it? And why would the hosts add that in? It looks bad on all fronts. Like there is some sort of cover up. 

My guess is this is nothing more than a classic SLU p.r. screw up.  They probably decided that these rumors could hurt recruiting even if there is nothing to them. So they decide to refuse to let anyone talk about them in any way.  It doesn't dawn on anyone at SLU that refusing to talk about it feeds the rumors even more.

5 hours ago, CBFan said:

Oregon must have saw another trend such as 20 wins a season average for Altman at Creighton and gave him a 7 year 18.45 million dollar contract.  It has paid off by Oregon being ranked 5th and 27-4.

They should have.  Altman is a great coach and was a great hire for them.

That doesn't mean the arrow on him at Creighton wasn't pointing down.  The whole Arkansas mess screwed up things for him at Creighton.  The average Pomeroy rating during Altman's last 3 seasons at Creighton was 85.  The 3 seasons before that the average was 38.

2 hours ago, goonaha said:

Coaches don't jump after investing the resources Ford and staff have done this year into recruiting 4 transfers and 4 recruits (and actually exceeding expectations on the court). Non starter. As a dual Indiana/SLU fan, I am fairly confident that Tom Crean will be the next Mizzou head coach.

Agreed.  And he just moved his family here with two kids in high school and one in junior high touring high schools.  He is not uprooting his family again right now.  He has been very outspoken about making SLU Basletball a premier event in Saint Louis.  He would have zero credibility if he screwed SLU and his current and future players after only one year.  

At first I thought they should make some kind of statement, but I like the tact of not even acknowledging it.  I know Mizzou people think that it is a cherry job.  It is a good one and will pay well, but it is not a dream job (unless you are Kim Andrson).  Also the crap surrounding the MU athletic program and school as a whole has not run its course.

1 hour ago, Macallan 18 said:

Agreed.  And he just moved his family here with two kids in high school and one in junior high touring high schools.  He is not uprooting his family again right now.  He has been very outspoken about making SLU Basletball a premier event in Saint Louis.  He would have zero credibility if he screwed SLU and his current and future players after only one year.  

At first I thought they should make some kind of statement, but I like the tact of not even acknowledging it.  I know Mizzou people think that it is a cherry job.  It is a good one and will pay well, but it is not a dream job (unless you are Kim Andrson).  Also the crap surrounding the MU athletic program and school as a whole has not run its course.

Didn't they have a significant drop in enrollment after that huge fiasco? I can see no one from out of state (money makers) wanting to leave where they're from to go there anymore

I have no doubt Ford could and will leave if the right job is offered to him.

I don't believe Mizzou could be that job right now.

I also don't believe Ford's standing in the basketball communtiy would warrant that kind of opportunity right now.  Look at opinions outside of this market and Ford is still mainly seen as a guy who failed badly in the Big 12.  Underwood is already said to be much better than Ford and he hasn't even had anything but an average year this year.

A lot of the local media types simply don't know much other than baseball and football.  Hell, the Blues are the only other pro sport in town and there are still only about three guys in the local media who can intelligently discuss hockey (not counting former or current Blues players/staff).

So when they need to fill airtime and column inches on subjects like basketball, they tend to just include the names they know.  Nevermind if their logic has no connection to reality.

22 hours ago, ACE said:

Stop dealing with "mights" on this topic. Since Ford started killing it on the recruiting trail, SPUMAC and Illinois who are bitter about his success, are already floating out the "he won't be around here long" narrative... we don't need our own fans repeating this nonsense. Ford has been on the job for less than a year. Chill out. Is this his dream job? Probably not, but so what. I'm sure it would be Kentucky and he would likely have a few others that he would love to have, but that's not to say Ford can't have a long and successful run here. With the staff he has put together and the recruiting success that he has had in a short period of time, there is no reason he can't string together multiple NCAA runs here. 

At this point most Power 5 programs will view him as a "retread." It will likely be a while before he gets an offer he can't refuse. I think there is enough opportunity/challenge with this job to build a Gonzaga/Xavier type program that it should keep him energized for a while. 

Good points - he really hasn't accomplished anything yet on the bottom line.  Yes he has turned the roster around quickly but do we really know if they will be that good? - we all hope but lots of good recruiting class don't pan out.  I have high hopes but if you are a power 5 school do you really think that Ford has done enough to wash the stink of OKS off yet - probably not.  I agree he will not retire from here but he isn't going anywhere just yet.

I also like the fact that they (SLU and Ford) are not acknowledging the rumors. Of course the media, and I am referring to 101.1, had to say they were specifically asked not to mention this rumor. That is the way to maintain or increase the audience, worry the fans. This is marketing 201 if you wish. 

Lets all agree upon a couple of facts, when the right job comes along the likelihood of a move will increase. I guess we all agree upon this. So, what is the right job? Well that does not depend on what we think the right job is, but on what Ford thinks the right job is. What does he want to do with his career, how much more forward potential does he think he has, how about personal and family issues? Le's all agree that from a financial point of view the right job might be an NBA HC job. Well there is zero chance for him to land an NBA HC job at this time. Wiz can do the math and come up with his story of the Royal Flush in a five card draw or whatever it may be. These jobs are not there for him. Fine, so what could the right job be? Kentucky, Duke, Louisville? Are any of those jobs opening soon? Does Ford have the winning record to get them? The answers are no, and not yet.

To land the right job and move forward Ford has to really achieve great results first, something to make him a good fit for this, presumably much higher, level job. With that thought in mind, what makes Mizzou even marginally a better place to achieve his great results than SLU is? In my opinion absolutely nothing. From a personal and family point of view, which is the better city to live in and go to high school in, St. Louis or Columbia? Is there any doubt in anyone's mind? 

I am not saying he will not go, I am saying he will not go to Mizzou, period. He has nothing to gain and much to lose there, Ford can see this. Also from a personal and family point of view, he also just spent with his family, a bunch of years in that fabulous metropolitan area, Stillwater OK. So now he is in St. Louis which compared to Stillwater OK is like living in a different world. Why should he want to go back to living in a much smaller city with a lot less to offer for his family unless it means getting the right job?

14 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I also like the fact that they (SLU and Ford) are not acknowledging the rumors. Of course the media, and I am referring to 101.1, had to say they were specifically asked not to mention this rumor. That is the way to maintain or increase the audience, worry the fans. This is marketing 201 if you wish. 

Lets all agree upon a couple of facts, when the right job comes along the likelihood of a move will increase. I guess we all agree upon this. So, what is the right job? Well that does not depend on what we think the right job is, but on what Ford thinks the right job is. What does he want to do with his career, how much more forward potential does he think he has, how about personal and family issues? Le's all agree that from a financial point of view the right job might be an NBA HC job. Well there is zero chance for him to land an NBA HC job at this time. Wiz can do the math and come up with his story of the Royal Flush in a five card draw or whatever it may be. These jobs are not there for him. Fine, so what could the right job be? Kentucky, Duke, Louisville? Are any of those jobs opening soon? Does Ford have the winning record to get them? The answers are no, and not yet.

To land the right job and move forward Ford has to really achieve great results first, something to make him a good fit for this, presumably much higher, level job. With that thought in mind, what makes Mizzou even marginally a better place to achieve his great results than SLU is? In my opinion absolutely nothing. From a personal and family point of view, which is the better city to live in and go to high school in, St. Louis or Columbia? Is there any doubt in anyone's mind? 

I am not saying he will not go, I am saying he will not go to Mizzou, period. He has nothing to gain and much to lose there, Ford can see this. Also from a personal and family point of view, he also just spent with his family, a bunch of years in that fabulous metropolitan area, Stillwater OK. So now he is in St. Louis which compared to Stillwater OK is like living in a different world. Why should he want to go back to living in a much smaller city with a lot less to offer for his family unless it means getting the right job?

I agree with everything you say OG.  But, when you were working, if someone offered to double your salary, would you listen to their sales pitch?  I certainly would, no matter what po-dunk hole they were located in.

59 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Would a better hire be going to NC State rather than Mizzou? ACC>SEC

NC State is on a different level than SPUMAC. Spucmac is a third tier job, bottom of the barrel but P5 conference. NC State is a second tier job. Not elite, but a really attractive P5 job with a history of success. 

Maybe SLU really doesn't know what Ford is thinking? Why you wouldn't come out and at least let people ask questions/answer questions? All they have done is thrown more gas on the fire. Unless, they have no idea what he is doing and just do not know what to say or do. IF Ford left it would set us back even further that the Jim Crews era. I hope he stays.

Billi Ken, the issue about getting involved into a question/answer circus, is that anything you may say and any way you may say it will only raise more questions. Before you know it, you are tied up by the interpretations of countless talking heads that proclaim you actually said things you never intended to say. It is like a company layoff, you do not discuss the motives for the layoff, or the way the layoff will affect those employees laid off. You just state there were layoffs and give a reason and close all further questioning and rationalization about it. Otherwise you never see the end of it. 

Hoosier Pal, there is nothing wrong with kicking tires and checking what you might be offered at a new job. I always did that, but just out of curiosity, not because of any desire to switch. However to say you are kicking tires openly only makes you a "do not call list" member for headhunters when they may be searching to fill a job you may want. It is not a good idea to discuss this kind of stuff with the media.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Billi Ken, the issue about getting involved into a question/answer circus, is that anything you may say and any way you may say it will only raise more questions. Before you know it, you are tied up by the interpretations of countless talking heads that proclaim you actually said things you never intended to say. It is like a company layoff, you do not discuss the motives for the layoff, or the way the layoff will affect those employees laid off. You just state there were layoffs and give a reason and close all further questioning and rationalization about it. Otherwise you never see the end of it. 

The only problem with this is that right now all we are doing is trying to read into what his silence means.  If Ford would have allowed the question and said, "It's always great to have your name associated with another job but right now I have 4 kids who transferred for me to coach them next year, 2 kids signed to play with me next year and I am looking to rebuild SLU with these players," then that would have been the end of it.  You can interpret that if you want but it wouldn't make sense.  He's only been here one year.  

Even worse case could be the typical answering without answering, "Right now my focus is on the game we have coming up and I owe it to my players to be 100% focused on that.  After the season is over, I evaluate all aspects of the program and where I'm at."  Gregg Marshall does that all the time and just did it when asked about the Mizzou job.  SLU having them not ask gives off a trying to hide something vibe, at least to me.  I hope it's just a bad PR move though.  

Bills_06 the answers you suggest would make life much easier for you, Billi Ken and many others, but would it be the best thing for Ford to do? Everyone has the right to look after themselves first and do whatever they think is best for themselves, as long as no laws are broken of course. Ford decided not to talk about it or to  take any media questions about this issue. This is what he feels is best for him. You have no right to question his motives if he does not want to talk about it. The fact that something makes your life easier is no reason at all whatsoever for someone else to do something they do not consider to be in their best interests. 

12 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Seriously, does any program want someone who would leave another after 1 year? Again I will bring up the cheating girlfriend example.

It would make me stop and think but if I truly thought that person was my guy, I would absolutely want him no matter what the circumstances are.