• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

These message board posts are canaries in the coal mine.  Denial is a terrible thing.  I have no problem with Schertz being our guy but I worry where this could be heading.

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You got to pay attention to the tea leaves

If things change beside some message board guy and a sportskeeda clickfarm post, I'll change my stance. I hope by God SLU has a backup plan, because that would be dumb as **** if they didn't. Just because Louisville comes calling, is no reason to panic. They'd be dumb to not kick the tires on Schertz.

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

He isn’t going to pick FAU over SLU.  They can’t march SLU on salary, can’t match NIL money, play in a 40 year old glorified 2,900 seat high school gym and don’t have the other facilities SLU has.

ACE likes this

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

He isn’t going to pick FAU over SLU.  They can’t march SLU on salary, can’t match NIL money, play in a 40 year old glorified 2,900 seat high school gym and don’t have the other facilities SLU has.

Hopefully, the reports are true that Schertz loved our facilities.  If that is the case, then we certainly would have a leg up on his alma mater.  Can anyone confirm the reports that he visited campus?  Or was he just aware of our facilities already?  Or are these reports just speculation and cannot be confirmed?

19 minutes ago, ACE said:

The FAU campus is 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean.  The SLU campus is 2 miles from the Mississippi River.  😁

CenHudDude likes this

@Ibruce what Louisville board who's the source?  On 247 sites there are moderators which are sports journalists with AD sources.  So if it's someone connected posting then I'm concerned.  If not, just some MBM that we don't know their posting history, I'm not concerned.

@cheeseman A lot of spots on the carousel still open and SLU's likely candidates are still all where they were 2 weeks ago.

We want a winner, we need a winner. I was thinking 2 wins for ISU is good now they have a very competitive Cincy team. Might not have to wait much longer to know something. But if they win and we're still waiting, the deal is still likely done.

Vacant schools of note 

UofL

Vandy

OSU (aka Okie lite)

Stanford

SMU

Washington

Drake

FAU

SMS

SIUC

Ben McCollum's season ended 6 days ago. Why is he not announced as SMS HC? Maybe waiting on SLU and/or Drake hire.

Mack is a Free Agent why is he not announced at Vandy?   Maybe he's waiting on USF or some other school.

Likely to open schools

USF

App State

Charleston

SLU is not unique in that we haven't made a hire.  It's not time to panic...... yet.

FYI, these are the recruits Schertz signed in the fall. The 6-11 kid sounds intriguing. Looking at his current roster, a rim protector coming off the bench would be a valuable addition.

Merritt Alderink | 6-7 | Forward | Zeeland, Mich. | Zeeland West

Alderink was the 2023 Holland Sentinel Basketball Player of the Year and named as one of the 2023 Division 1 Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan's Best. In the 2023 season, Alderink averaged 19.3 PPG and 7.1 RPG. The forward is in his high school record books, holding the single-game points record with 42.

Coach Schertz spoke about Alderink:

"Merritt is a perfect fit for us both systematically and culturally. He has great size, toughness, physicality, and an extremely high motor that all great competitors possess. He can score the ball in a variety of ways in the halfcourt and brings a toughness and maturity far beyond his years to our program. He's an exceptional student and young man that our fans will love to watch compete."

Robert "Sean" Birmingham | 6-8 | Forward | Njardvik, Iceland | Concord Academy

Birmingham, originally from Iceland, attends Concord Academy out of North Carolina. In 2023 he became a member of the AAU team, Team Curry. In his junior year at Cannon School, the second-ranked prIvate school in the state, Birmingham averaged 14 PPG, 7 RPG, and 2.5 blocks-per-game. He also was named to the CISAA All Conference Team. From 2020-2022, Birmingham was a member of the prestigious basketball academy in Vitoria, Spain – Baskonia.

Coach Schertz spoke about Birmingham:

"Sean is an elite shooter with great size but he's much more than just a shooter. Sean has great feel which allows him to be a playmaker for others, coupled with a high basketball IQ that drives self-awareness allowing him to do what he does best all the time while bringing out the very best in his teammates. Sean is also a fantastic student and as high character and mature a young man as I have recruited. We are thrilled he's a Sycamore!"

Christian Nitu | 6-11 | Forward | Uplay, Canada | Fort Erie International Academy

Nitu comes from our neighbors to the north. Nitu participated in the NBA's Basketball Without Borders Global Camp; the camp has featured current NBA-standouts like
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Joel Embiid. Nitu also competed for Team Canada in the u17 World Cup and was on the Biosteel All-Canadian Team.

Coach Schertz spoke about Nitu:

"Christian is one of the most unique players I have ever seen, his combination of size, skill and mobility is incredibly rare. On top of that he's a ferocious competitor who is obsessed with the game of basketball, so he's a perfect for our Indiana State basketball culture. Christian has a level of versatility on both ends of the floor that will provide us with incredible flexibility as we see him as someone who can play with another big or operate as a standalone big himself. He's a special talent with huge ambitions and a work ethic to match, and I can't wait to partner with him to help him reach his ceiling."

wgstl and majerus mojo like this

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The FAU campus is 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean.  The SLU campus is 2 miles from the Mississippi River.  😁

The SLU WBB team played a holiday tournament at FAU in 2018.   Three things I remember are that Dr C was there and was very friendly, my wife accidentally stumbled in to Coach Stone, who then complimented her on her shoes, and that the FAU Basketball facility was pure trash.   About on par with a low D1, decent D 2 arena.   Their baseball facility next door, while miles above ours, is really terrible, considering the amazing history of excellence they have had.    

2 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Oh you are good. Like the old Jesuit in the theology department who would conclude his lectures by saying “class: tomorrow’s lecture on prophecy has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.” 

that's great.

Schertz is locked and loaded. Enjoy ISU's run. It's always fine to have some concern because a coach can always back out at any moment but he will be patrolling the sidelines at Chaifetz in November. Trilly says there is no flight risk when it comes to Schertz. 

I was at SLU this weekend and had an independent source, in a position to know, validated that the next coach was indeed Schertz. 

This independent source also indicated to me that he would prefer to stay at SLU, "if coach wants him."

So they know, but conversations about staying or going haven't happened as of last Friday.

DeSmetBilliken likes this

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I was at SLU this weekend and had an independent source in a position to know validate that the next coach was indeed Schertz. 

This independent source also indicated to me that he would prefer to stay at SLU, "if coach wants him."

So they know but conversations about staying or going haven't happened as of last Friday.

I'm more mad about why you didn't call me this weekend than if UL called Schertz this weekend.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

I'm more mad about why you didn't call me this weekend than if UL called Schertz this weekend.

I posted on the board multiple times that I was coming.  Also posted I was at baseball game. If I knew my flight Sunday was going to be delayed 6 hours I coulda went to WNIT.

I got Sign Guy to autograph his book for me.

3 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I was at SLU this weekend and had an independent source in a position to know validate that the next coach was indeed Schertz. 

So they know but conversations about staying or going haven't happened as of last Friday.

Who are you referring to in the second paragraph? Jimerson?

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I'm a bit paranoid. I just remember Pat Kelsey bailing on UMass about 30 minutes before the presser.

brianstl likes this

26 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

If things change beside some message board guy and a sportskeeda clickfarm post, I'll change my stance. I hope by God SLU has a backup plan, because that would be dumb as **** if they didn't. Just because Louisville comes calling, is no reason to panic. They'd be dumb to not kick the tires on Schertz.

... and he would be dumb not to listen.

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

As for assistants, give me an east coast guy, someone from his current staff, and whoever else he likes for the 3rd spot.

It looks like Antone Gray is going to be following Schertz.  He has the east coast pedigree.  

37 minutes ago, ACE said:

Everyone who's been around a while knows you are a troll who is not a SLU fan, but I'll play along. ISU only lost 6 games this year and four of those were to teams that made the Dance. The only "crap loss" was losing at home to Illinois St. Your argument is a fail, try another one.

The week they were ranked they lost to Illinois state and methdale. The main reason they didn't make the tourney.  And he plays a high octane outscore the other guys game.  That has never worked at SLU. Ford tried it...

19 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Why do some think that Schertz is the only good candidate there is.  I don't think you can put all your eggs in one basket.  The longer we drag this out or stay the course in your words the bigger the chance of us being left out.

You ever think that just maybe a contract is already signed with agreement it starts after the Indiana State season has concluded?  That's my guess.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I certainly hope our decision makers aren't hangin their actions on a message board post on the Louisville board. Especially considering all reports are this is done and dusted.

Hey, it was the guy’s third different prediction for the day.  Obviously he’s an insider and solid on who it will be.

9 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

You ever think that just maybe a contract is already signed with agreement it starts after the Indiana State season has concluded?  That's my guess.

Doubt their is a contract signed at this point.  There is likely a MOU signed agreeing to a contract outline on completion of his buyout at ISU.