19 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I just read that on CBS sports. Not mentioned in any of the P6 openings. 

I think if the Louisville AD could hire who he wanted to, he would hire Schertz from what I understand.  The good thing for us is their money people said no way in hell Schertz was going to get the job.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, brianstl said:

They can always send out an email saying the announcement has been delayed.  This email just makes sure their enough people available if ISU loses and they can announce next week.

Fair point

29 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Larry Blurred told fans he has 2 more years while ind state fans chanted "one more year" while ISU walked off the court today. 

It's a real good thing this is all wrapped up and we have nothing to worry about. Cause if it wasn't id be real worried about us missing the boat. 

I mean, there's no guarantee we get Avila or any number of players with him. It's likely we'll have some come with him. The only person who has definitively said anything about it is Frank if I'm not mistaken. Who is more often than not, mistaken.

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I mean, there's no guarantee we get Avila or any number of players with him. It's likely we'll have some come with him. The only person who has definitively said anything about it is Frank if I'm not mistaken. Who is more often than not, mistaken.

Supposedly, Schertz has told SLU that he expects the starting five to come with him.

9 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

Supposedly, Schertz has told SLU that he expects the starting five to come with him.

Yes and it was Frank who said that, correct? Color me skeptical but I don't trust Frank, like at all. Could it happen? Sure. But counting on that is putting your faith in 5 men under the age of 21ish to be predictable.

brianstl and LindellWest like this

I think it would be great if the starting 5 came as it jump-starts the Schertz era and there's continuity for these players.  But, if not he's done well in the portal before. 

Wild speculation: he probably got some assurances that he'd get the NIL support he needs to bring his guys. Think about it, if you think you can win at SLU with some of the guys you have, you can just ask.  In this hypothetical conversation you could even talk about how much money they are likely to seek. 

While we are speculating, it could be that Schert has come to an agreement with SLU,  but doesn't want it announced until after the last home game. It makes sense that he wants the last home game without distraction. At the same time, he knows that extending the announcement hurts his new job.

I think that's a good hire by WVU. 

Mack is still not hired somewhere which I find interesting.  If it's Vandy why isn't the deal done?

Who else could he be talking to?  

Who does Drake get? 

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm not sure I understand the animosity sense I get from the billiken.com mbm's for Schertz wanting to finish his season.  

My gosh, any man of character would have made it clear from the first communication about the billiken opening that he wanted to finish his season with the sycamores.

He owes it to Indiana State, the fans and mainly his team to see the season to the end.  Personally, I like Schertz even more for taking this stance.  I am rooting for all the success he can accomplish.    

Yeah I'm with you Plus I get excited watching them execute the offense. That D looked good today (something I hear all the time).

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

WVBilliken there is a vast difference between the two of us. You believe that May announcement will confirm that Shertz will, I on the other hand do not believe him. I prefer to see what happens and if May is correct, good for May he managed to do something correctly. If he is not correct May confirms my belief that he is not capable of handling this hiring.

I think that if Schertz wins the NIT with his ISU team he may well try go elsewhere. Of course, we will find out what happens when it happens. And by the way, as long as they have a viable second choice candidate ready to come in, I will have no problems if Schertz decides to go elsewhere.

Old guy, who are some of your second choices for HC ?

7 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Mack is still not hired somewhere which I find interesting.  If it's Vandy why isn't the deal done?

Who does Drake get? 

Ben McCollum

drkelsey55 likes this

32 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm not sure I understand the animosity sense I get from the billiken.com mbm's for Schertz wanting to finish his season.  

My gosh, any man of character would have made it clear from the first communication about the billiken opening that he wanted to finish his season with the sycamores.

He owes it to Indiana State, the fans and mainly his team to see the season to the end.  Personally, I like Schertz even more for taking this stance.  I am rooting for all the success he can accomplish.    

Great post.

33 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I agree with everything you stated, except I don't think the animosity is toward really anyone but how slowly time passes and past scars. I think most fans want their season to end as soon as possible to make sure this is "facebook official" as we used to say. I don't think anyone blames Schertz for playing this out. Just that we don't have that 100% closure is making Billiken fans, used to life kicking us in the balls, anxious.

gobillsgo, dlarry, slu72 and 1 other like this

59 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Well said B’Roy.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Who does Drake get? 

I’m starting to wonder if Mack is waiting for USF to open up.  Then he doesn’t need to move his young son for a third time and just can stay in Venice.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, David King said:

Old guy, who are some of your second choices for HC ?

As is widely known, my inclination is not sports. I know very little about basketball coaches and would not have the false pretense of having chosen my favorites. All I care for is to have a plan with options in case Schertz does not happen. There are plenty of people that know infinitely more than I do about coaches, I am happy to let them choose. However I do not want to be left behind picking up from the leftovers after all is said and done.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Who does Drake get? 

Maybe the industry knows more about Mack than the general public does.  I'm all for waiting for Schertz.  If that doesn't work out, then so be it. I think it's a risk worth taking, if that's the guy that's the best for the job.

billiken_roy likes this

35 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I’m starting to wonder if Mack is waiting for USF to open up.  Then he doesn’t need to move his young son for a third time and just can stay in Venice.

I thought he was living in Nashville? Would make sense if he was living in Tampa area

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

I thought he was living in Nashville? Would make sense if he was living in Tampa area

It's been my understanding mack lives in florida.   He moved there to be closer to his daughters volleyball games.

TheBand likes this

During his time with the Sycamores, Larry Bird played a college baseball game.(1979)
Bird was often in the training room icing his legs and getting massages when Indiana State baseball coach Bob Warn took a shot at Bird.
-You're a real wuss,'" Warn recalls telling Bird. "'Every night, I see you. You're just here in the
training room icing,'"
The marketing ploy worked. Warn estimated that some 3,000 people flocked to watch Bird, the basketball star, play baseball.He had two injury scares. One was when he collided with the catcher and, for a couple of seconds, did not move at all. The other was in an infield pop-up between first base and home plate. Bird once again collided with the catcher and did not move.
"All the time I'd been playing basketball, I've never been knocked out," Bird once said. "One baseball game and I get it. I was really hurt. So, end of career — one for two, .500 average, two RBI. I figured I couldn't do much better than that."⚾️👌🏽

Bird.jpg.43c3f15fef6dea6ec8c4226bca2e3a58.jpg

billiken_roy likes this

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

It's been my understanding mack lives in florida.   He moved there to be closer to his daughters volleyball games.

The S Florida location is correct. A friend of mine’s wife has run into him on the beach several times on her walks.