Mass Exiting?

20 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

regardless, parker was the most exciting player at slu since larry hughes the elder imo.   i was really looking forward to him playing next year hopefully healthy.   good luck to sincere

Hard disagree. Hughes Sr. was good enough to put a team on his back and carry them to the NCAAT in his FRESHMAN YEAR. he was good enough to be an immediate NBA lottery pick. He was so good than Justin Love and other famous Billikens came in here just to be around the guy. I can list players who could outplay Parker, starting with the great Justin Love there.

Parker was not good enough to carry us over St Joes; much less to the NCAAT. He had several games this year where he was not good(maybe influenced by injuries, doesnt really matter since only results matter) .. that's all there is to it. Exciting? yes. Consistent? No.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I'm not as hot on Parker - injury prone this year. Unclear how well he will recover from surgery and so on after the offseason. Lot of unknowns there. Rumor is he was causing grief behind the scenes. He used up one of his years this year with little/no playing time & development... We can move on and find other guys who can score. Scorers are common in today's game, finding rebounding & defense is much harder with how many guys can shoot the 3 now.

Right, guys that average 16 pts/20 min, hit 42.6% from 3pt, and score 30+ pts three games in a row are a dime a dozen.

LOL!

4 minutes ago, David King said:

Right, guys that average 16 pts/20 min, hit 42.6% from 3pt, and score 30+ pts three games in a row are a dime a dozen.

LOL!

On one of the worst teams in the country. They're not a dime a dozen but they are out there.

40% from three isn't the unicorn it used to be.

He also had games like Davidson where he went 3-11 in 22 minutes. He took so many shots that there weren't really opportunities for anyone else to take shots. It's kind of hard for him to not be the leading scorer. It was justified because of how bad everyone else was. Usually.

Also the comparison was to 14-year-NBA-Veteran Larry "The Legend" Hughes ....... you can keep putting words in my mouth if you want.

Not saying Parker isn't a great scorer; just that we overrate him as a player because of how skewed our opinions are watching the garbage we saw this year. We thought Perkins was the greatest player basketball had ever seen until he got hurt and we saw that he wasn't and ended up never making the tournament with him.

I’ll admit that I have absolutely zero consistency in my opinion of Sincere.

At the start of the year, I was pumped to see his scoring ability unleashed. But, he is such a selfish player, that I wasn’t too upset when he got hurt (the first time).

THEN, when I saw how anemic our offense was without him, I badly wanted him to get healthy. He came back, and we still sucked. 🤷‍♂️ 

I thought a dynamic scorer would take defensive pressure away from Jimerson, but Parker isn’t that kind of player. He’s tough to stop, but doesn’t open up opportunities for his teammates in the process. 

43 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I'm not as hot on Parker - injury prone this year. Unclear how well he will recover from surgery and so on after the offseason. Lot of unknowns there. Rumor is he was causing grief behind the scenes. He used up one of his years this year with little/no playing time & development... We can move on and find other guys who can score. Scorers are common in today's game, finding rebounding & defense is much harder with how many guys can shoot the 3 now.

breaking bones and pulling a shoulder out of joint doesnt seem to me to ge "injury prone" type events.  all i know is the guy could score.   he was coming back from the foot injury like nobody i had ever seen before.   i had pretty much wrote him off for the year as a high impact player.  then the shoulder.  sucks.

Zink likes this

37 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

breaking bones and pulling a shoulder out of joint doesnt seem to me to ge "injury prone" type events.  all i know is the guy could score.   he was coming back from the foot injury like nobody i had ever seen before.   i had pretty much wrote him off for the year as a high impact player.  then the shoulder.  sucks.

Agreed. Still take issue with your statement of most exciting since Larry Sr.

You remember the Pyramid, right? #1 team in the country? Huggy Bear?

Me? I'm Just in Love.

15 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Me? I'm Just in Love.

justin love was very good.   but he didnt score like parker was scoring before the dislocation.   had he not had that injury i wouldnt doubt he would had a 40+ pt game by year end.   

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

We still have Gibby. And hopefully a new coach will scheme to get him open looks. 

35 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Me? I'm Just in Love.

I agree with Roy. Just watch the tape of the St. Joe game. 

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We still have Gibby. And hopefully a new coach will scheme to get him open looks. 

You are assuming Gibby will come back. I assume he won't. Hope you are right. 

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We would be okay if we returned zero guys from this roster. I'd like to keep Thames, that's about it. Gibby is fine.

I’ll leave it up to Schertz (assuming he gets the job) to determine which players on the roster he can use in his system. For me, there isn’t a single player on the roster that is a MUST keep.  If he can use Gibby and Ezewiro, I think they’re both A10 quality.  Parker seems too selfish for Schertz’s system. 

3 hours ago, David King said:

LOL!

I agree on the LOL....If you can shoot 42.6% you come in at #101  out of 5522 D1 players. More like a million dollars a dozen.

TheChosenOne likes this

11 minutes ago, TheDude said:

Disappointed, but it totally makes sense. His stock rose as the year went on. Dude showed a lot of promise.  And Cian has no idea who his coach will be next year.

A lot of posters have said that they hope we could bring in a starting point guard, and have Cian come off the bench next year. Why would he want to do that, after starting all year??

TheChosenOne likes this

5 minutes ago, thunderdan said:

Disappointed, but it totally makes sense. His stock rose as the year went on. Dude showed a lot of promise.  And Cian has no idea who his coach will be next year.

A lot of poster have said that they hope we could bring in a starting point guard, and have Cian come off the bench next year. Why would he want to do that, after starting all year??

There's a thick line between playing on a winning team and a losing team. I'm not an elite athlete but it's gotta be easier to get 30% of the minutes at PG when you're winning than it is to play 70% on a losing team. 

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

justin love was very good.   but he didnt score like parker was scoring before the dislocation.   had he not had that injury i wouldnt doubt he would had a 40+ pt game by year end.   

Probably in the A-10 Conference Tournament championship game!

Cian leaving means he’s been contacted by an EC team. Why doesn’t he wait. I think he came on stronger but not a game changer. I think Gibby is here until the new coach is found and he feels comfortable or not. 

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Cian leaving means he’s been contacted by an EC team. Why doesn’t he wait. I think he came on stronger but not a game changer. I think Gibby is here until the new coach is found and he feels comfortable or not. 

Gibby's got deep roots in St Louis. Any coach can make use of a good shooter like Gib.

CenHudDude and slu72 like this

38 minutes ago, Scoop said:

What was Cian's assist to turnover ratio?  It couldn't have been good.

Usually 2.6 or higher is great

2 is good

The top 5 assist people this year  range from about 2.5 to 2.75

Yuri came in at 2.23.

This is not one of my favorite stats...You could be a great passer generating lots of assists  and you could be bad at holding onto the ball which has nothing to do with passing.

Bottom line ...He was doing better all around and had potential to be something in the coming years.  He may have left because he feared the new coach would bring in new guards.  Again, as I pointed out in an earlier post, it usually makes sense to meet the new guy and see what the situation is before you give up your roster spot and scholarship.  

majerus mojo likes this