GDT: SLU v. Rhode Island

11 minutes ago, Soderball said:

This is a different game than it was in the 70s and 80s, even the 90s. You had sleazeball coaches everywhere paying guys, you name it, sure. It was not professionalized with insane coaching salaries, luxury accommodations, and comfortable salaries for players like it is now. This is professional sports. When the Cards and Blues suck we don't feel sorry for them. We're pissed. Same here.

This is like watching Tony Banks year after year. It's just infuriating.

I think a lot of the old guys that feel this way are reaching back for what they grew up watching, and it's gone. That era is over.

I don't think 10 year old boys today hate the players or the coach of their favorite team.  They root for their team.  If the team isn't winning enough, they go play video games or something.  They don't hyperfocus on all the flaws of an organization the way we do. This is an adult problem.  It's why the worst behaving people at youth sporting events are adults, not children.

Soderball and Adman like this

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

I don't think 10 year old boys today hate the players or the coach of their favorite team.  They root for their team.  If the team isn't winning enough, they go play video games or something.  They don't hyperfocus on all the flaws of an organization the way we do. This is an adult problem.  It's why the worst behaving people at youth sporting events are adults, not children.

I grew up watching Spoons so i didnt have that problem. I had H Waldman! 😎

22 minutes ago, Soderball said:

This is a different game than it was in the 70s and 80s, even the 90s. You had sleazeball coaches everywhere paying guys, you name it, sure. It was not professionalized with insane coaching salaries, luxury accommodations, and comfortable salaries for players like it is now. This is professional sports. When the Cards and Blues suck we don't feel sorry for them. We're pissed. Same here.

This is like watching Tony Banks year after year. It's just infuriating.

I think a lot of the old guys that feel this way are reaching back for what they grew up watching, and it's gone. That era is over.

His is not the name to bring up today.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Im gonna laugh(be pisesd) when we lose and May still waits till like Thursday to announce. 

It feels like a situation where May will come up with any excuse possible to continue to delay it. I actually don't know if it'll be a Crews situation where it's announced quickly. 

But despite all the lessons I've gotten on how to be a fan, I truly believe moving on asap is the best approach for the program which means losing asap. Am I going to be sitting in front of my TV clapping after Rhode Island baskets? Of course not. If Hargrove goes for 12 points in the final 30 seconds to secure a win I'm not gonna be pissed. But if URI is up 12 with 10 seconds left you may hear me counting down the timer in joyful celebration 

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

It feels like a situation where May will come up with any excuse possible to continue to delay it. I actually don't know if it'll be a Crews situation where it's announced quickly. 

But despite all the lessons I've gotten on how to be a fan, I truly believe moving on asap is the best approach for the program which means losing asap. Am I going to be sitting in front of my TV clapping after Rhode Island baskets? Of course not. If Hargrove goes for 12 points in the final 30 seconds to secure a win I'm not gonna be pissed. But if URI is up 12 with 10 seconds left you may hear me counting down the timer in joyful celebration 

imo this is a true win- win situation.  I'll be drinking beers with a smile regardless of the outcome. 

BLIKNS likes this

30 minutes ago, wgstl said:

imo this is a true win- win situation.  I'll be drinking beers with a smile regardless of the outcome. 

I feel the same way.  I want our players to do great and experience success.  The only downside of a broadcast is when the announcer does the obligatory excuse-rant for CFord when they know it has been said already a million times.  Just call the game and focus on the players.

TRN likes this

I’ll root for the team hoping they can pull out a win.  Hopefully TJ can have a good showing.

Like I said in December, there’s no need to actively root against SLU, the bad results will happen regardless. 

57 minutes ago, TRN said:

I’ll root for the team hoping they can pull out a win.  Hopefully TJ can have a good showing.

Like I said in December, there’s no need to actively root against SLU, the bad results will happen regardless. 

And happen they did!

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

My heart wants the team to make a run so badly.  I have already figured out how it is going to happen.  It may or may not involve Holmes breaking his leg.

kenyon-injury-270x440.jpg

I could see that working out!

3 hours ago, TRN said:

I would love to see TJ and this group somehow get to play in the NCAA Tournament.  I know that is extremely unlikely, but I'm going to cheer for it until that dream dies.  I have very little doubt that this dream will not happen and that Ford will be fired by the end of the week.  However, I will never cheer against the Billikens or for their direct opponent.