GDT: SLU vs dayton

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

Skipped going to this one. Watched on TV.

Back in the day there's no way my dad and I skip a SLU home game. These are times of tribulation.

Figured you to be a fair-weather fan.

1 minute ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Weird one to skip if I'm being honest. Gibson and Hargrove deserve it if nothing else. That's what got me down there tonight. That and wanting to boo ford.

Another blowout?

Sat through Jim Crews already.

I watched it. There was nothing to see. This season can't end fast enough.

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I wasn't aware of this.  Anyone close enough to 111 to know what happened?

I wasn’t there last night but the guy that got kicked out would have been sitting right next to me.  I was told by another person in our section that all he said was “your at SLU not Dayton” twice.   He does have a loud voice.  But in all the years I’ve sat by him I’ve never heard him get personal or cuss at the officials.  Was told he didn’t do either.  

1 minute ago, Slowry said:

I wasn’t there last night but the guy that got kicked out would have been sitting right next to me.  I was told by another person in our section that all he said was “your at SLU not Dayton” twice.   He does have a loud voice.  But in all the years I’ve sat by him I’ve never heard him get personal or cuss at the officials.  Was told he didn’t do either.  

At the half, the fan walked down to the area above the hallway where the refs go to their break room and screamed something like the above at the refs.  The older balding ref told DPS he was kicking the guy out of the game and he had to leave the arena.  3 DPS officers then talked to the guy and it seemed like he was going to get to stay.  But then one of the officers went back to the referee break room and checked with the ref who said he still had to go.  It was strange because I am sure these refs routinely hear much worse than what this fan said.

1 minute ago, Billfan7 said:

The older balding ref

I've seen that ref at several games the last couple of years. Guy has an Angel Hernandez-sized ego and seems like a d*ck.

Pollard is a st charles resident.   he has never called a game for us in the decades he's been reffing games for the billikens where there was any thought he was a homer for the home town team.   he's been screwing the billikens regularly.   i cringe when i show up for the game and see he is on the crew. 

imo the other two were even worse last night than pollard.   i.e. just a horrible horrible ref crew.   you might wonder why anyone thinks refs are on the take, but last night sure makes you wonder.  not that the refs made a difference.   the billikens had about 5 good minutes to start the game and then it was downhill from there.   the billikens lost and the refs had nothing to do with that.

most head shaking ref moment last night though might have been when they lost the game ball at a timeout.   how can that even happen?   never saw that before,  

OkieBilliken and TheA_Bomb like this

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Pollard is a st charles resident.   he has never called a game for us in the decades he's been reffing games for the billikens where there was any thought he was a homer for the home town team.   he's been screwing the billikens regularly.   i cringe when i show up for the game and see he is on the crew. 

imo the other two were even worse last night than pollard.   i.e. just a horrible horrible ref crew.   you might wonder why anyone thinks refs are on the take, but last night sure makes you wonder.  not that the refs made a difference.   the billikens had about 5 good minutes to start the game and then it was downhill from there.   the billikens lost and the refs had nothing to do with that.

most head shaking ref moment last night though might have been when they lost the game ball at a timeout.   how can that even happen?   never saw that before,  

And when Stu Durando tried to video the Keystone Cops liking for the ball, one of the refs threatened to eject him.  That’s a first, trying to toss a media member for video taping at a game

Refs with rabbit ears irk me. Just gotta tune everything out and do the job.  So in Dayton they don't hear anything? Philly?  Come on.

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Refs with rabbit ears irk me. Just gotta tune everything out and do the job.  So in Dayton they don't hear anything? Philly?  Come on.

Last game of the season, so I didn't care but at one point I called one of the refs an a**hole pretty loudly, lol, surprised I didn't get threatened 🤣

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Gerry Pollard was the ref at the Missouri State at SLU game under Soderberg, when Ian Voyoukas tipped in the errant Tommie Liddell air ball shot, with the Missouri State connected video clock  slightly out of sync with the game clock, a bit slower.  After a long video review, Pollard exclaimed, "It's good boys."  And thus SLU won by 1 point, setting off a cascading torrent of outrage in the Ozarks and among MoState fans. 

As for last night's game, SLU led by 7, 13-6 at 13:31.  The refs definitely helped fuel the Dayton recovery and takeover of the game late in the de facto First Quarter and into the early part of the de facto Second Quarter.  A whole series of highly questionable calls occurred, setting off several episodes of SLU fans' at the game booing, which was loud and audible on the CBS Sports Network telecast.  After leading 23-19 after the "First Quarter," SLU was outscored 30-12 in the "Second Quarter," Ballgame.

In advance I don't care if the truth re the refs runs afoul of the flamers' fire everyone narrative.  You do not write the rules of engagement on this board. If the above leads to the expected sarcastic, negative responses from the usuals, so be it. 

So for those at the scene, (a) which ref (a) was the one that tossed the SLU fan;  and (b) which ref is the one that threatened to toss Stu Durando.  Based upon what I've read, both cases appear to be unjustified, and last night should not be the end of this.  There should be an A10 conference level referee review, and if warranted, appropriate discipline. 

CenHudDude likes this

I am trying to get a handle on how epically poor this SLU team's defense is.  On the one hand I have had the thought if the players are simply physically incapable of playing defense.  Some of SLU's players appear to be lacking in upper body strength.  On the other hand, coaches, players say good defense is a matter of desire.

Last night, the poor defense was joined by getting destroyed in the rebounding category.  SLU was outrebounded 27-9 in the First Half and 38-21 for the game.  Dayton had 13 offensive rebounds to SLU's 5.  Dayton seemed to be getting to most of the loose balls, that and the loose balls seemed to finding Dayton players. 

Soderball likes this

1 hour ago, TRN said:

And when Stu Durando tried to video the Keystone Cops liking for the ball, one of the refs threatened to eject him.  That’s a first, trying to toss a media member for video taping at a game

1 minute ago, thatskablamo said:

Like the people wearing “Security” shirts at any event. The power trip these people go on needs to be added to the war on drugs. Andy Frain not hiring, Gerry? 

So that is not Gerry Pollard in that picture with Stu Durando.  Those are the other two refs. 

Pollard is a big time ref, has reffed the Final 4.  I've seen him this year reffing in the PAC-12. 

thatskablamo likes this