Senior Night Needs to Be Before the Game

17 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-typically I like Senior Night after the game but KShoe's points have me swayed for this year's recognition

Yeah if you want people to be there, don't make them stay until 11 just to see senior night on a Tuesday.

In years past the Senior Night ceremony was always before the game.  
Crowd had some pregame energy, and the visiting team politely acknowledged the departing SLU players.

None of the above if the ceremony is postgame.

Majerus did change it but it was after the game during different periods of time under all the coaches from Grawer to Soderberg.

I I have talked to two graduated players over my Billiken Fandom days.  We are talking players from 2+ decades ago.  Both went through the ceremony before the game, but they both said they wished it had been after the game.  Why?  The same from both....the ceremony is emotional for them and they lost their focus on the game.  The adrenaline levels peak during the ceremony, and they weren't ready to start the game.

So is the ceremony for the players or for the fans?

Another issue for discussion, a pre-game ceremony would need to start 20 to 30 minutes before tip off.  TV schedule would dictate the game broadcast be initiated on time.  How many seats would be filled 30 minutes before tip off, even with knowledge that the ceremony is pre-game?

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I I have talked to two graduated players over my Billiken Fandom days.  We are talking players from 2+ decades ago.  Both went through the ceremony before the game, but they both said they wished it had been after the game.  Why?  The same from both....the ceremony is emotional for them and they lost their focus on the game.  The adrenaline levels peak during the ceremony, and they weren't ready to start the game.

So is the ceremony for the players or for the fans?

Another issue for discussion, a pre-game ceremony would need to start 20 to 30 minutes before tip off.  TV schedule would dictate the game broadcast be initiated on time.  How many seats would be filled 30 minutes before tip off, even with knowledge that the ceremony is pre-game?

It's always a tough call. I read something a few years ago that about 55% of schools do it pre-game but that number has been getting smaller each year. Billiken fans definitely arrive late (gametime) and many leave early so it's gonna be empty if you do it pre-game even if you advertise it (START NOW!). It's a late start against a good team and it's never fun coming off a loss especially one with the potential to be a big loss (although i think we hang in there for a while next week). It's going to be empty if you do it after. Not sure there's a great solution here but might be kind of interesting if Travis Ford gets the mic after the game for likely the last time.

TheChosenOne likes this

29 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Given our lack of halftime adjustments in the past 3 seasons, maybe halftime is the best time to do it.

Yeah, not like Travis is doing anything worthwhile at halftime anyway.

Looks like it's after the game

MBB Preview: BIllikens, Rams Meet Saturday in Rhode Island - Saint Louis University (slubillikens.com) 

• Next up, SLU returns home to face Dayton Tuesday, March 5. Billiken seniors Terrence Hargrove Jr., Gibson Jimerson and Michael Meadows Jr. will be honored following the game for Senior Night. The Bills close out the regular season on Saturday, March 9, at St. Bonaventure. 

11 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

MBB Preview: BIllikens, Rams Meet Saturday in Rhode Island - Saint Louis University (slubillikens.com) 

• Next up, SLU returns home to face Dayton Tuesday, March 5. Billiken seniors Terrence Hargrove Jr., Gibson Jimerson and Michael Meadows Jr. will be honored following the game for Senior Night. The Bills close out the regular season on Saturday, March 9, at St. Bonaventure. 

Didn't we already honor Gibby? He's not technically a senior either. Is he gonna come back again?

I think we will have had like 3 or 4 senior nights for him at that point. Just part of college hoops getting sillier and sillier.

Hargrove is gonna be a tough goodbye. Not one of the best Billikens, but one of my favorites.

28 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

No one is sticking around until 11 on a Tuesday to see all of this lol.

slufan13 likes this

I hope Gibson announces his return for his final year next year- guy is going to have to start a new major to find classes to take. Maybe the first honorary PHD in the history of men’s basketball- or player-coach

25 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

I hope Gibson announces his return for his final year next year- guy is going to have to start a new major to find classes to take. Maybe the first honorary PHD in the history of men’s basketball- or player-coach

-only if the new coach wants him to stay

billiken_roy likes this

Pre game ceremonies suck for the players.  I've done it both ways in HS and college.  Post game is much better.