Note: Billiken Coaches Show Debut 1/8/24

8 hours ago, Pistol said:

They make 8.3 3-pointers per game. They attempt 24.8 per game. Their .334 3-point shooting percentage is good for 208th in the nation. Not very good by Davidson standards.

I get the feeling they will suddenly show improvement against us. 

thelaundry likes this

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Preview

- we're banged up

- need reps together

- the guys need to be better on offense

- bad refs against Dayton

- NIL makes it tough

Rammer throws softball after softball 

Remember who Rammer works for - SLU so he is going to be soft on Ford or else he is out a job.  I don't blame him

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Decent show.

This is the first significant injury Parker has had and he thought he would be back, full load, in the same shape he left.  Parker had asked to sub out of the Dayton game, being gassed.  He was out for 2 1/2 months.  Getting into game shape and relearning the offense and defense has been the focus.  Good on both ends today.  "Give it to Sincere and let's go".

Brad basically did not play at LSU. Something like a total of 27 minutes. At Georgetown he was a sub, roll player, hold the line until the starter came back in. He played more than 20 min only 3 times. At SLU he was on the scout team and then bingo he was supposed to be a major player. This is totally new for him. He has never been the guy before.  Lots of talks between Brad and Coach getting his expectations to line up, and the staff is being patient with him.  Great passer for a big man.  He and Jimerson work the "Yo Yo Two" two man game.  Tried it 10 or 11 times against VCU, but VCU shut it down.

There is opportunity for Thames and Hughes getting more minutes with Dalger gone.  They can get their minutes in different ways.  Both have had injuries that have slowed them down. Thames is hitting 67% from the field and 52% from three.   Thames takes good shots, ones he can make.  (I’m guessing we will go to a 9 man rotation.  We shall see Wednesday.)

Typical Davidson team coming in.  Motion offense hasn't changed. As a team they are hitting 8 three pointers per game in conference play.  PG Huffman is averaging about 16 ppg in conference play. Their 5 shoots 5 threes per game. He has an inside-outside game.

“Decent show” 

062B5810-56C4-4DC1-8692-40D7A81BAEF5.gif

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Decent show.

This is the first significant injury Parker has had and he thought he would be back, full load, in the same shape he left.  Parker had asked to sub out of the Dayton game, being gassed.  He was out for 2 1/2 months.  Getting into game shape and relearning the offense and defense has been the focus.  Good on both ends today.  "Give it to Sincere and let's go".

Brad basically did not play at LSU. Something like a total of 27 minutes. At Georgetown he was a sub, roll player, hold the line until the starter came back in. He played more than 20 min only 3 times. At SLU he was on the scout team and then bingo he was supposed to be a major player. This is totally new for him. He has never been the guy before.  Lots of talks between Brad and Coach getting his expectations to line up, and the staff is being patient with him.  Great passer for a big man.  He and Jimerson work the "Yo Yo Two" two man game.  Tried it 10 or 11 times against VCU, but VCU shut it down.

There is opportunity for Thames and Hughes getting more minutes with Dalger gone.  They can get their minutes in different ways.  Both have had injuries that have slowed them down. Thames is hitting 67% from the field and 52% from three.   Thames takes good shots, ones he can make.  (I’m guessing we will go to a 9 man rotation.  We shall see Wednesday.)

Typical Davidson team coming in.  Motion offense hasn't changed. As a team they are hitting 8 three pointers per game in conference play.  PG Huffman is averaging about 16 ppg in conference play. Their 5 shoots 5 threes per game. He has an inside-outside game.

So is the training staff not doing their job as well if these guys are just absolutely blindsided by the fact that they need to be in shape? Or is the coaching staff not preparing guys the right way? Or both?

Tried something 10 or 11 times and VCU shut it down every time? Limited depth of coaching there. 

8 hours ago, Pistol said:

They make 8.3 3-pointers per game. They attempt 24.8 per game. Their .334 3-point shooting percentage is good for 208th in the nation. Not very good by Davidson standards.

I agree...Dav is a C-  3P shooting team....below average by anyone's standards. I also agree that you can't just give a flat number of 3s like 8.3/gm.  You have to look at it and ask-- were these the right shots to take.  In other words, when should I take a 2 and when should I take a 3.  In Davidson's case they should have passed on some of those 3s as it was costing them points on missed shots.

The risk/reward formula is simple. You take your 3P% and multiply it by 1.5.  If the product is less than your 2P% shooting rate , you shouldn't be taking as many 3s or at least redirecting the  shots to better 3P players.  Let's look at the Dav case.  3P%x1.5=50.1%...Dav is hitting 52.3% from 2...The breakeven point is 34.9%....this means they are inefficiently shooting 3s and should be taking less or redirecting shots to players who are shooting 35% or better.

While we are on the subject, we should take a look at SLU.  SLU is shooting an excellent 37.4% from the arc....we are shooting 48% from inside the arc(grade D).  We are a 3P shooting team. But further than that are a couple of more points.  #1... Most 3P shots should be taken by players who are shooting more than 32%. For the most part this is happening.  Unfortunately, Dalger was shooting 27.3%...so at least with this stat , it will be addition by subtraction....ie this stat (2P/3P ratio) should improve(addition) now that he is gone(subtraction). Btw, this is not a knock on Dalger ...I liked his hustle and toughness...just pointing out the facts.  #2 ...We need to improve 2P  shooting dramatically . Just because you can make 3s doesn't mean you should overlook 2s especially the bunnies and short stuff.  The good news is this number is starting to trend up.

Finally, one  data item I find annoying is the lack of reporting on 2P info. It is missing from most box scores and some data bases.  This stat is vital to determining who shoots 3s and how many the team should take as a whole. Perhaps one day it will be included in box scores.

CenHudDude likes this

32 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

So is the training staff not doing their job as well if these guys are just absolutely blindsided by the fact that they need to be in shape? Or is the coaching staff not preparing guys the right way? Or both?

Tried something 10 or 11 times and VCU shut it down every time? Limited depth of coaching there. 

Travis said before the season that they expected BE to get a waiver, they thought they had a good case. Did he not prepare BE as if he was going to be the guy? Does he not realize this is how it’s been in college basketball for decades: center plays a handful of minutes as an underclassman and then gets handed the keys as a junior or senior? Are the people still defending Ford not paying attention or just not using an ounce of critical thinking when reading or listening to him? You don’t have to have some great knowledge of basketball to read through the contradictions and lazy excuses. 

TRN, NextYearBill and JMM28 like this

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Travis said before the season that they expected BE to get a waiver, they thought they had a good case. Did he not prepare BE as if he was going to be the guy? Does he not realize this is how it’s been in college basketball for decades: center plays a handful of minutes as an underclassman and then gets handed the keys as a junior or senior? Are the people still defending Ford not paying attention or just not using an ounce of critical thinking when reading or listening to him? You don’t have to have some great knowledge of basketball to read through the contradictions and lazy excuses. 

image.png.5d5f611c0abd674f8afa439543374bbc.pnggaslight Trav

44 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

SLU Training staff, "hey coach should we also train Ez to be game ready?"

Ford, "Nah he's on the scout squad."

Trainers, "Ok EZ hit the showers no sprints for you."

It's so dumb to use this excuse of not being game ready. He's been a D1 player. Oh he didn't play more than 20 minutes per game?! Why would you even utter such a ridiculous excuse? Everyone on the team needs to prepare to play the game. If they're not then what the hell are they doing?

JMM28 likes this

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I would like just once for someone to ask Travis on the record why he thought Brad had such a good case for a waiver. It won’t happen, but it was pretty evident from public facts that he wasn’t going to get approved. 

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

-thank you for the correction of my typo

-another line from CFord that got me last night was along the lines of Brad is practicing against freshmen so a big difference when he has to face Holmes 

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I agree...Dav is a C-  3P shooting team....below average by anyone's standards. I also agree that you can't just give a flat number of 3s like 8.3/gm.  You have to look at it and ask-- were these the right shots to take.  In other words, when should I take a 2 and when should I take a 3.  In Davidson's case they should have passed on some of those 3s as it was costing them points on missed shots.

The risk/reward formula is simple. You take your 3P% and multiply it by 1.5.  If the product is less than your 2P% shooting rate , you shouldn't be taking as many 3s or at least redirecting the  shots to better 3P players.  Let's look at the Dav case.  3P%x1.5=50.1%...Dav is hitting 52.3% from 2...The breakeven point is 34.9%....this means they are inefficiently shooting 3s and should be taking less or redirecting shots to players who are shooting 35% or better.

While we are on the subject, we should take a look at SLU.  SLU is shooting an excellent 37.4% from the arc....we are shooting 48% from inside the arc(grade D).  We are a 3P shooting team. But further than that are a couple of more points.  #1... Most 3P shots should be taken by players who are shooting more than 32%. For the most part this is happening.  Unfortunately, Dalger was shooting 27.3%...so at least with this stat , it will be addition by subtraction....ie this stat (2P/3P ratio) should improve(addition) now that he is gone(subtraction). Btw, this is not a knock on Dalger ...I liked his hustle and toughness...just pointing out the facts.  #2 ...We need to improve 2P  shooting dramatically . Just because you can make 3s doesn't mean you should overlook 2s especially the bunnies and short stuff.  The good news is this number is starting to trend up.

Finally, one  data item I find annoying is the lack of reporting on 2P info. It is missing from most box scores and some data bases.  This stat is vital to determining who shoots 3s and how many the team should take as a whole. Perhaps one day it will be included in box scores.

Good stuff here.  Thanks Wiz.

The Wiz likes this

2023-24 Billiken Basketball Coaches Shows on KMOX
Live from Humphrey's, 6-7 p.m.

Monday, Jan. 8 – Travis Ford
Monday, Jan. 15 – Rebecca Tillett
Monday, Jan. 22 – Travis Ford
Monday, Jan. 29 – Rebecca Tillett
Monday, Feb. 5 – Travis Ford
Monday, Feb. 12 – Travis Ford
Monday, Feb. 19 – Rebecca Tillett
Monday, Feb. 26 – Travis Ford
Monday, March 4 – Travis Ford
Monday, March 11 – Rebecca Tillett

From the announcement SLU put out about this. Next chance to see Ford in person on this is Feb 5

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

2023-24 Billiken Basketball Coaches Shows on KMOX
Live from Humphrey's, 6-7 p.m.

Monday, Jan. 8 – Travis Ford
Monday, Jan. 15 – Rebecca Tillett
Monday, Jan. 22 – Travis Ford
Monday, Jan. 29 – Rebecca Tillett
Monday, Feb. 5 – Travis Ford
Monday, Feb. 12 – Travis Ford
Monday, Feb. 19 – Rebecca Tillett
Monday, Feb. 26 – Travis Ford
Monday, March 4 – Travis Ford
Monday, March 11 – Rebecca Tillett

From the announcement SLU put out about this. Next chance to see Ford in person on this is Feb 5

-thanks, hadn't seen that

34 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The open invite for next week's show is pretty appealing. 

I wish I lived in the area so I could go talk some "ball" with him.   It would be great he had a welcoming party to greet him

well he's there.   His speech sounds disjointed.  No insight yet into how things will get better.  6 players in attendance.   he says team is in a better place than 2 weeks ago?

1 hour ago, Dr Bird said:

well he's there.   His speech sounds disjointed.  No insight yet into how things will get better.  6 players in attendance.   he says team is in a better place than 2 weeks ago?

He does realize that we are on 6 games losing streak ?