2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Altman is 65 and strikes me as a guy who might not be well equipped for the NIL/free agency madness.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I think a lot of the movement we will see this off season will be programs moving on from guys they don’t believe fit the NIL environment.  I think more coaches than believed are in danger of getting fired because of that reason.

I do not wish to offend anyone, but the problem I really see with the NIL environment is that no one can be certain of the direction it is heading into. So far we have the NILs as most people see them, with the large schools offering large NILs because they have available money, and the smaller schools not been able to do so because they do not have the money available. But there is also the newer movement towards unionization of student athletes, which is much harder to predict how it is going to play. The unpredictable nature of what may or may not  happen in the not very distant future makes it a lot harder to pick up a new HC. Given the uncertainty, I would think it would be better to choose a much younger HC, one with flexibility about recruiting and leading a team regardless what actually happens with NILs and unionization. A new HC will have to be flexible handling a variable environment regarding these issues.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

It will be interesting to see where the "hot shot recruiter" types fit in if at all. 

i agree recruiting skill becomes minimal.   it's now all about the Benjamin's.

BLIKNS and Bizziken like this

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree recruiting skill becomes minimal.   it's now all about the Benjamin's.

It's going to be interesting how coaches are evaluated this year, like brian said. I think with Travis, it's an obvious decline and given his reputation as a recruiter vs a coach. But I'm sure there are athletics directors around the country trying to figure out what the deal is with a guy like Dennis Gates just for example given his massive drop off from year 1 to 2. 

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It's going to be interesting how coaches are evaluated this year, like brian said. I think with Travis, it's an obvious decline and given his reputation as a recruiter vs a coach. But I'm sure there are athletics directors around the country trying to figure out what the deal is with a guy like Dennis Gates just for example given his massive drop off from year 1 to 2. 

It's unlikely Gates gets let go because of what he has coming in but going Ofer in conference will land him on a major hot seat for sure.  

20 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

It's unlikely Gates gets let go because of what he has coming in but going Ofer in conference will land him on a major hot seat for sure.  

Yah, 25 milli buyout too. No doubt. Moreso just an example. I’m sure we’re going to see more examples of coaches bottoming out this and next year. Kind of a bad time to be looking for new leadership. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I do not wish to offend anyone, but the problem I really see with the NIL environment is that no one can be certain of the direction it is heading into. So far we have the NILs as most people see them, with the large schools offering large NILs because they have available money, and the smaller schools not been able to do so because they do not have the money available. But there is also the newer movement towards unionization of student athletes, which is much harder to predict how it is going to play. The unpredictable nature of what may or may not  happen in the not very distant future makes it a lot harder to pick up a new HC. Given the uncertainty, I would think it would be better to choose a much younger HC, one with flexibility about recruiting and leading a team regardless what actually happens with NILs and unionization. A new HC will have to be flexible handling a variable environment regarding these issues.

I have no idea what their NIL’s are but two relatively small non football schools Marquette and Creighton seemed to be doing well. 

thatskablamo likes this

1 hour ago, willie said:

I have no idea what their NIL’s are but two relatively small non football schools Marquette and Creighton seemed to be doing well. 

Creighton still has true Jesuit leadership; not a scrub who came to us from LeMoyne, home of the “I wanna die” Dolphins, in another rare twist of irony. Marquette has just been lucky enough to have all the breaks go their way since 2003. 

TaLBErt and BillTheCat like this

3 hours ago, DirtyRican said:

That and the $26M they’d have to pay to buy him out. 

I was served a heavy dose of perspective today after talking to my Kentucky friend and hearing him whine about Calipari the way we do about Ford. Would love SLU to be in a similar position. 

13 hours ago, willie said:

There are always schools that do both better or worse than most other similar sized schools do. There will always be Creighton's and the other extreme in the mix.

20 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I'm hopeful that firing a coach midseason is becoming more of a thing. No I don't think SLU has the balls to ever do this but schools need to do more work than ever to keep kids around and to keep the image of the program looking good. With players getting paid now, money is going to talk so if you're not performing someone needs to go. And I'm glad it's the coaches and not the players (for now). Also these players deserve for schools to do whatever possible to give them the best shot at winning (this is where SLU and their boosters have failed mightily this year).

Whoa.  How much have you contributed to the BVF?  Don't tell other people how to spend their money and don't criticize those that contribute more than you to make our program successful.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

13 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

That and the $26M they’d have to pay to buy him out. 

I was served a heavy dose of perspective today after talking to my Kentucky friend and hearing him whine about Calipari the way we do about Ford. Would love SLU to be in a similar position. 

We hope and pray for a dance invite. UK expects to win the dance every year. 

27 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Whoa.  How much have you contributed to the BVF?  Don't tell other people how to spend their money and don't criticize those that contribute more than you to make our program successful.

First, I respect the "don't tell people how to spend their money" take(this is only applicable to individuals and not entities). But I take issue with the "how much have you contributed to the BVF" quip. You kind of contradict yourself with hit. On a macro level, I'm just not sure what you're upset about here with the post you quoted.

What my longtime friend sulfan13 is saying is just an factual assessment of the changing college basketball landscape. It's not really that controversial. The power balance has shifted and continues to shift, that's just reality. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If you contribute money with strings and the strings don't work out and you stubbornly don't budge you have earned criticism.

Happens all the time, 1 group of boosters donates and wants coach A the other wants coach B. Coach A is hired and loses, those boosters are criticized.  If you want some control you are on the blame line.

29 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Where did you get this from?  This statement is a broad approach that SLU lacked/lacks.  This is far from an individual attack 

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

First, I respect the "don't tell people how to spend their money" take(this is only applicable to individuals and not entities). But I take issue with the "how much have you contributed to the BVF" quip. You kind of contradict yourself with hit. On a macro level, I'm just not sure what you're upset about here with the post you quoted.

What my longtime friend sulfan13 is saying is just an factual assessment of the changing college basketball landscape. It's not really that controversial. The power balance has shifted and continues to shift, that's just reality. 

He said "Also these players deserve for schools to do whatever possible to give them the best shot at winning (this is where SLU and their boosters have failed mightily this year)."  Let's say that someone donated $50,000 to the BVF this year.  Did that person fail the players "mightily" because he or she was a booster who gave $50,000 of their hard earned money?  Sorry, but that comment just doesn't make any sense.  How exactly did the people who gave money to try to help the fund that pays the players fail mightily?

Also, and this is a completely different take, players are getting paid to play now.  Once you cross that line, no one owes you anything other than the money that you have been promised.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

If you contribute money with strings and the strings don't work out and you stubbornly don't budge you have earned criticism.

Happens all the time, 1 group of boosters donates and wants coach A the other wants coach B. Coach A is hired and loses, those boosters are criticized.  If you want some control you are on the blame line.

If he was directing his comment at certain boosters who paid their own money to make a specific coaching hire happen and then that coaching hire didn't work out, then there is maybe an argument there.  He didn't say that.  He said basically said "SLU and its boosters failed mightily this year" referring to some obligation he feels that donors to our program have to the players who are collecting a salary to play.  I have a problem with blaming anyone who donates their hard earned money.

5 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

If he was directing his comment at certain boosters who paid their own money to make a specific coaching hire happen and then that coaching hire didn't work out, then there is maybe an argument there.  He didn't say that.  He said basically said "SLU and its boosters failed mightily this year" referring to some obligation he feels that donors to our program have to the players who are collecting a salary to play.  I have a problem with blaming anyone who donates their hard earned money.

But that's not what you wrote. What you wrote implied that one can't be critical unless they donate money.

SLU and their boosters have failed to adequately support the athletes?

We have the highest paid coach in the conference, first class facilities, and very respectable fan support.

Do we think that higher player compensation would have made this year’s team play better defense?

AGB91 and TRN like this

1 hour ago, SLUMS81 said:

SLU and their boosters have failed to adequately support the athletes?

We have the highest paid coach in the conference, first class facilities, and very respectable fan support.

Do we think that higher player compensation would have made this year’s team play better defense?

There are literally over 200 better basketball teams than SLU.  People need to stop making up reasons why we’re bad - NIL, etc - and realize there are many teams with much less resources that would kick our a$$ this year.  It’s on the coach plain and simple, and the school President and AD are accomplices.

billikenblue and TheA_Bomb like this