2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

@thetorch I like the list a few from the Shaka coaching tree.  I don't know enough about Smith to have an opinion.  I'm unimpressed by Morrell's overall record but that's just after a cursory glance. Mack for sure #1, Devries if we could get him and Wade is intriguing.

@brianstl I haven't thought about Turgeon he has some NCAA wins for sure over 24 years.  But maybe I'm jaded, with all the change I'd prefer someone not as experienced that perhaps isn't so set in the past. Now Turgeon might not be that but it's just a general feeling. If I'm interviewing the coach I'm asking about their vision, plan to leverage NIL. What's their recruiting strategy regarding transfers/HS to construct a roster. How do they plan to coach essentially a new team every season to get offensively and defensively.

I think Mack is a name that can energize boosters to donate. He's had success at a Catholic school in the Midwest and he should be rested.

Add Kelsey CoC as a good name.

Despite the AD not being the one to hire the coach. They have impact. We need the new AD because we need organizational changes. We need marketing, scheduling, fan interaction, alignment between coach and BVF. All those things are essential to a winning program.

2 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

Turgeon no doubt will be considered, but he screams Travis 2.0. Huggins would also be a disaster. He was checked out before all of his personal turmoils. If that’s truly a hypothetical list of candidates, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tom Crean thrown around as an option, not that it would be a good decision. 

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Will Wade is still on a show cause until 2025 so you can probably cross him off the list. 

Turgeon has been out of the game since NIL came into play. Would Huggins want to work for a bunch of catholic...whatevers?

I'd also hire Brian Wardle in a second at SLU. Guy can rebuild a program and develop talent, something that hasn't been seen here since another Marquette alum roamed the sidelines. 

A lot of this will depend on what the budget is as well. I don't think they'd pay what Ford is making, but if they were the pool expands significantly. If it is 1-1.5 mill, you can cross a lot of guys off the list. A higher paid mid major guy won't jump for a couple hundred grand raise. 

DeVries at Drake has a contract through 28-29 so the buyout may be prohibitive although he would probably bring his son with him. Schertz is an interesting one. His team started hot last year and faded bigtime down the stretch. We'll see if he can pull it together this year. He has had a ton of success so far in the portal, as well. 

My personal choice would be a younger guy over someone older that is probably more set in their ways.  Being a head coach today is completely different than it was even a couple of years ago, especially at a place like SLU.  The programs at SLU's level that think outside the box now, will be the one's most successful going forward.  I really think going forward you really need a  head coach and something similar to a GM.  You can't expect your coach to run the team and to do everything else that needs to be done in a NIL world.  You need someone who can budget your NIL money, evaluate talent, put a market price on that talent and try to find the categories of players that are being undervalued by the power programs that are driving the market costs.  That is way too much to put on the plate of a coach and to expect that coach to be successful.

All that said, I took the history of the program and the history of the regions leaders into account when making my list.  Nothing in that history screams outside the box thinking and big risk taking.  It is all about betting on known commodities.  In my lifetime the only hire that SLU has made that didn't fit that mold was Romar. That hire was made when the program was in a solid place and a strong conference.  Those two things aren't true right now and because of that I think SLU will hire someone they think is lower risk.  

My preferred list would start with (again in no particular order):

• Mitch Henderson
  • Darian DeVries 
  • Josh Schertz 
  • Ben McCollum
  • Steve Lutz
  • Blake Ahearn - This isn't just specific to Blake.  Consider it more a placeholder for younger NBA assistants.  I would be open to a lot of guys with NBA experience who are use to coaching in a professional sports environment where talent budgets exist with the head coach not necessarily having final say on talent evaluation and roster construction.

It is a new world in college basketball.  The mid major programs that adapt to that reality by operating completely differently will benefit the the most from the new reality.

JMM28, Zink and johnbj14 like this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, brianstl said:

• Steve Lutz

If he brings a head of hair like Bobby Lutz of UNCC then I'm in on this choice

I've always been of the opinion that the best situation for SLU is a good coach who tried to climb to the top, but got blocked by bad circumstances at a big state school.  I say this, because a coach in this position will have the perspective to see SLU as a nice landing spot with great facilities that he can try to turn into the next Gonzaga.  Ford seemed to fit that bill, but we all know how that is currently going.  A young coach may still see SLU as a spring board to a power conference job.

In that regard, Chris Holtman at Ohio St. and Bobby Hurley at Arizona State are both on the hot seat this season.  The consensus on Hurley is that Arizona State is too far away from his recruiting zone and recruiting connections.  We may be closer.

There is also Mike Brey, although he is 64.

Young Charles likes this

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

the 1mil/yr ship already sailed at SLU. The issue isn't money. The issue is if certain boosters are "personal friends" of Travis Ford. The guy is a salesman and he has dug his claws into the program and is siphoning money out at a rate never seen before. People will always get duped into throwing good money after bad for "their guy" ..

The only way to get Ford out is to make keeping him less palatable than firing him. Don't stop the #FIREFORD train. No brakes. No detours. Just FIRE FORD NOW. Constant barrages on message boards, emails to BoT members, athletic dept, you name it. This works on politicians. Politicians actually do care when constituents are calling them. Lobbying works. That's why Ford's defenders tell you it's worthless and not worth your time. They want apathy to set in and Ford to keep draining this program of life. Get angry. Get mad or stay bad. The Lobos are 37 on KenPom today. Not a bad drum to beat.

The best way to spur Ford’s departure is going to come from him. If we continue to lose , you can bet attendance will sink deeper than the Titanic. That will get the BOT’s attention. The relatively new jewel of midtown being less than half full will force their hand. Ford will be the man that pulls the plug on himself. 

9 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I've always been of the opinion that the best situation for SLU is a good coach who tried to climb to the top, but got blocked by bad circumstances at a big state school.  I say this, because a coach in this position will have the perspective to see SLU as a nice landing spot with great facilities that he can try to turn into the next Gonzaga.  Ford seemed to fit that bill, but we all know how that is currently going.  A young coach may still see SLU as a spring board to a power conference job.

In that regard, Chris Holtman at Ohio St. and Bobby Hurley at Arizona State are both on the hot seat this season.  The consensus on Hurley is that Arizona State is too far away from his recruiting zone and recruiting connections.  We may be closer.

There is also Mike Brey, although he is 64.

Weak. If we have a coach who is wildly successful and gets grabbed by Louisville for 10 million a year, GOOD

I will gladly take that Final Four or Elite Eight appearance. That would kick ass.

They have to buyout the contract and we will have some serious success to spring us to another successful hire.

The only danger is what we have now, a coach with a fat contract who noone wants and we can't win with.

Zink, TheA_Bomb, laker119 and 1 other like this

7 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Weak. If we have a coach who is wildly successful and gets grabbed by Louisville for 10 million a year, GOOD

I will gladly take that Final Four or Elite Eight appearance. That would kick ass.

They have to buyout the contract and we will have some serious success to spring us to another successful hire.

The only danger is what we have now, a coach with a fat contract who noone wants and we can't win with.

Fine, but everyone keeps saying they want a coach with a proven record.  That doesn't come from an assistant.  Also, the best candidates who are assistants or who are currently head coaches go straight to the power conference schools.  So, do you want us to be choosing from the 2nd tier of assistants or lower conference coaches.  I would say that is weak.

7 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I'm so scared that we could be Porter Moser's Loyola.  

Such a bad take in an ongoing litany of bad takes by Geldmacher.

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Fine, but everyone keeps saying they want a coach with a proven record.  That doesn't come from an assistant.  Also, the best candidates who are assistants or who are currently head coaches go straight to the power conference schools.  So, do you want us to be choosing from the 2nd tier of assistants or lower conference coaches.  I would say that is weak.

I've said before what i'd really like us to pursue: which is the Utah St model. They hired Montana State's coach, brought his players with him, and found immediate turnaround. No rebuild, no "remix" .. just immediate wins and a competitive, quality team that we can build off of.

They brought those guys in and are a 44 in the KenPom today. That's better than Ford has ever done here unless i'm mistaken. That's an at-large bubble team, and an NIT lock already halfway through the season and a chance to run wild in the Mountain West. I will be very happy with performances like that on a regular basis.

22 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I've said before what i'd really like us to pursue: which is the Utah St model. They hired Montana State's coach, brought his players with him, and found immediate turnaround. No rebuild, no "remix" .. just immediate wins and a competitive, quality team that we can build off of.

They brought those guys in and are a 44 in the KenPom today. That's better than Ford has ever done here unless i'm mistaken. That's an at-large bubble team, and an NIT lock already halfway through the season and a chance to run wild in the Mountain West. I will be very happy with performances like that on a regular basis.

Running the table in the MWC this year will be hard they're better than the ACC right now and have 5 Teams with over 12 wins already. Compare that to A10's 1 and they're not just feasting on cupcakes.

Anyway I get the point. It makes sense. However, that's a 1 season impact. Need to ensure it's the right coach for more than 1 season.

4 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Running the table in the MWC this year will be hard they're better than the ACC right now and have 5 Teams with over 12 wins already. Compare that to A10's 1 and they're not just feasting on cupcakes.

Anyway I get the point. It makes sense. However, that's a 1 season impact. Need to ensure it's the right coach for more than 1 season.

I really believe we need immediate turnaround right now to generate new excitement and interest.

I think the team is the least relevant it's been since Uncle Brad was out there. During Crews' last two years a lot of the media types in the area were talking about the need to can him and we still had some goodwill and excitement left over from Majerus. It's been crickets since then as the program circles the drain with CTF.

The MWC is an extremely strong conference that may get 4+ bids this year. Utah St is in position to do that, with less than half of our coaching budget. That's pathetic on the SLU administration. Laughingstock.

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm so scared that we could be Porter Moser's Loyola.  

This is actually a good thing.

Look at VCU.  4 coaches in 8 years.  Yet they keep winning at a solid clip. 

Get a high buyout , use that to make more money to get better coaches as ours get poached. 

28 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Anyone not wanting to fire Ford and hire a new coach because they might be so successful at SLU that they will be plucked by a high major has a Travis Ford tattoo on their lower back. Same with the "what if our next coach isn't successful" people.

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This is actually a good thing.

Look at VCU.  4 coaches in 8 years.  Yet they keep winning at a solid clip. 

Get a high payout, use that to make more money to get better coaches as ours get poached. 

I know I'm just making fun of the sentiment. Reality is that there are very few programs in the country that can hold onto a coach if bigger program comes calling.

I agree with you, it's good.  Some schools are better about hiring better coaches as per your VCU example. 

Bottom line there's no "one way" re-tread, up and comer, big assistant, DII, DIII they all could work or fail. 

wgstl likes this

It'll be interesting to watch what happens to Virginia. Tony Bennett hasn't had them at where they once were pre NC. I'm sure if he is let go, a lot of team will be interested in this name. 

27 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

If Margot Robbie wants to date you, you say YES instead of worrying that she'll dump you in a few weeks.

If Taylor Swift wanted to date me I have to say no though. My fragile ego won't be able to take her writing a song about how it was all my fault and her cult taking it as gospel.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

If Taylor Swift wanted to date me I have to say no though. My fragile ego won't be able to take her writing a song about how it was all my fault and her cult taking it as gospel.

More importantly where ever you go her followers will harass you, potentially physically.