SLU Athletics/NIL

slu92

2 minutes ago, Slowry said:

Exactly.  Only reason I renewed my season tickets is I would never be snow to get my seats again.  I didn’t renew the 4 up top for the kids and their friends.  I would say my seats have over a 90% usage rate the last 10 plus years.  Even through the bad Crews years.  The seats have yet to be used this year.  I won’t even go through the trouble of giving them away.  I think empty seats speak volumes.  I might go to a few games.   Driving 45min each way makes it a 4hr plus commitment.  Plus spending money on parking and concessions feels like throwing good money after bad.   I still watch the games on TV when I can.  But judging by attendance I think a lot of people feel the same way.  

Indifference is probably a bigger danger to this program than anything.  We are on the verge of being totally irrelevant as a program.

NextYearBill likes this

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Indifference is probably a bigger danger to this program than anything.  We are on the verge of being totally irrelevant as a program.

For the kids reading this any newly weds this is a life lesson.  If you're in a relationship and you're angry. That means there's still a chance to fix it because you care.  Once you don't care anymore then it's truly over. SIUE DEC 2022 was anger. SIUC DEC 23 is indifference.  It's over.

Also when things are bad that's when other bad things happen.  Look out for the other scandal or problem. Not saying I want that, because I don't but these things go together.

An interesting NIL story is unfolding at Ohio State.  The football Buckeyes are scheduled to play Missouri in a Bowl Game.  However at the last count, from a Columbus sports reporter, 10 of the 22 starters are opting out, jumping into the portal, or deciding on whether or not to go pro.  One or two more could also decide not to play.

Now if I was a Buckeye supporter, and if I had given a significant amount of NIL $$ to any of these 10, I'd be upset big time.  I understand the health issue for playing an extra somewhat meaningless game, but you have been paid to play for Ohio State, so PLAY.  I really don't care about the next U you transfer to nor your Pro team, if that is the avenue you take.  You took my money, you play for my school until the season is over.

(I wonder if this will be addressed in future NIL 'contracts/agreements/handshakes'.)

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

An interesting NIL story is unfolding at Ohio State.  The football Buckeyes are scheduled to play Missouri in a Bowl Game.  However at the last count, from a Columbus sports reporter, 10 of the 22 starters are opting out, jumping into the portal, or deciding on whether or not to go pro.  One or two more could also decide not to play.

Now if I was a Buckeye supporter, and if I had given a significant amount of NIL $$ to any of these 10, I'd be upset big time.  I understand the health issue for playing an extra somewhat meaningless game, but you have been paid to play for Ohio State, so PLAY.  I really don't care about the next U you transfer to nor your Pro team, if that is the avenue you take.  You took my money, you play for my school until the season is over.

(I wonder if this will be addressed in future NIL 'contracts/agreements/handshakes'.)

Perhaps, but even before NIL came in, more and more football players were opting out of playing in bowls that don’t mean anything. If this was a bowl that could lead to a national championship that would be different. 

My favorite CFB Podcast/YouTube is Late Kick with Josh Pate. He points out that this idea that bowls are meaningless started in the Playoff era, media types all started saying that bowls are meaningless if they aren't playoff games. Then the opt outs started. Games matter to the fans they should matter to the players, to your team mates.

But as to the specific NIL issue, yeah that would annoy me if I paid for that player to represent my business and they opted out.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Maybe they need to cut them into the take the school gets from the Bowl.  Since everything is about money now the whole mess should just go full monty anyway.

12 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I think the football bowl issue has been exacerbated by the watering down of “postseason “ play.  Does anyone really care to watch 6-6 Auburn play in the kaopectate bowl?

Actually I know a lot of people that really care to watch. 

Tickets for the lower end bowls can be had basically for free it's like some of the non-conference tournaments SLU's been in. The attendance is usually low. But it's a product for TV. A lot of people off during the holidays and it gives them something to watch. I watch them. But I'll be in NOLA for the Sugar Bowl live this year. That's more fun.

Same could be said for NIT, CBI, CIT. 

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I love college bowl season.  Anything that gives me more college football is good.  

I've had this idea to take a couple weeks off and road trip to all the bowls in Texas and tailgate.

December

19 Frisco (City where SLU's last post season appearance occurred)

23 Armed Forces Ft. Worth fun atmosphere with military static displays I've been 3 or 4 times

26 University Park on SMU Campus

27 Houston

28 Alamo

29 you have a choice: Sun Bowl in El Paso or Cotton Bowl (not the OG but at Jerry Wold). El Paso is a 10 hour drive but the stadium has a great view of the mountains and is one of the oldest Bowl games

January 8 CFP Championship at NRG in Houston.

Could even sneak in an Independence Bowl Shreveport isn't too far across the border and Sugar Bowl is always fun in NOLA.

brianstl likes this

On 12/10/2023 at 7:11 PM, HoosierPal said:

BVF is structuring their contracts in a way that addresses this, but for a different reason.  BVF is structuring a significant portion of our NIL payments to be paid after the portal closes each year.  This way you have a reasonable expectation that the player will stick around for the following year.  

8 minutes ago, House said:

BVF is structuring their contracts in a way that addresses this, but for a different reason.  BVF is structuring a significant portion of our NIL payments to be paid after the portal closes each year.  This way you have a reasonable expectation that the player will stick around for the following year.  

Come on. You can’t say anything positive about Billiken athletics and how they are managed on this board. 

1 hour ago, House said:

1 hour ago, Scoop said:

Come on. You can’t say anything positive about Billiken athletics and how they are managed on this board. 

1 issue is the lack of information. In that void we assume the negative. This is actual information that makes sense.  Smart way to structure NIL payments. 

22 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

1 issue is the lack of information. In that void we assume the negative. This is actual information that makes sense.  Smart way to structure NIL payments. 

It’s smart as long as the players go along. If someone else is willing to pay them right away, that may be a reason why they go somewhere else.

19 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

It’s smart as long as the players go along. If someone else is willing to pay them right away, that may be a reason why they go somewhere else.

But if they go into the portal, they would be foregoing money sitting and waiting for them in the BFV.  Obviously, if our player has $20,000 waiting that they are due from the previous season and will get once the portal closes, but another team comes in and offers them $100,000 right now, they will probably go.  But, they would probably have gone anyway.  I like the way they're doing it.

On 12/10/2023 at 7:54 PM, TheA_Bomb said:

My favorite CFB Podcast/YouTube is Late Kick with Josh Pate. He points out that this idea that bowls are meaningless started in the Playoff era, media types all started saying that bowls are meaningless if they aren't playoff games. Then the opt outs started. Games matter to the fans they should matter to the players, to your team mates.

But as to the specific NIL issue, yeah that would annoy me if I paid for that player to represent my business and they opted out.

Well stated. I feel the same way about NIT and so on. There are chances for big games against big name opponents, rivals, etc.

By the logic some use i wonder if even the national championship matters; there's nothing to play for after that right so why bother?

Games are games. Still remember fondly beating a Big 12 opponent in a "meaningless tournament" .. and getting beat by a VCU team that went to the final four the next year while we went to "the situation"

I'll be watching Missouri FB against Ohio State. That's a big game. That's OHST. That's a Selection committee bowl. They may not care about it. Good. Hope they get pummeled.

• 3 weeks later...