• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

ARE WE HAVING FUN OR WHAT 

There's a saying that is applicable here for group coping, "embrace the suck."

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Entertaining ideas for how to spend my free time next fall. Wake me up when this nightmare is over. 

Well there's always Drive Way Pickleball League

I've also considered a beginner Curling League

https://lonestarcurling.com/leagues/copy-3/

6 minutes ago, GoSluBills said:

Wow. Awful. Good work if you can get it. 

Jeesh, how many years did we extend him? Please, correct me if I’m wrong here but didn’t the extension come after the ‘19 season and was for 5 years at $2.5 mil? Did May give him another extension after the initial extension? 

Just now, slu72 said:

Jeesh, how many years did we extend him? Please, correct me if I’m wrong here but didn’t the extension come after the ‘19 season and was for 5 years at $2.5 mil? Did May give him another extension after the initial extension? 

im just  guessing but i would guess it was a 5 year deal that each year had a year added.   and with last year being the first year that we all speculate he was notified he wasnt getting the auto renewal that left 4 years.  we get past this season and within the time restaints we give him notice no renewal again, next year he has 3 years remaining, etc.  

Just now, slufan13 said:

I gotta give Ford credit. He's smarter than I thought. 

or his agent and attorneys are smart.

TheA_Bomb likes this

If we are still on the hook for $10+milliion, then May has to go NOW.    At what point did we decide that Travis was too valuable to lose and was worth gambling the entire athletic department on him not flopping?   Please someone tell me this isn't true.   Good programs lose their coaches all the damn time and survive.    If Ford is the coach next year, because we are too poor for the payout, then they really shouldn't be supported.   Who would buy a ticket to this?   

Outside the box thought:

Could SLU fire him for cause due to the Covid party he held and say he was endangering the players or something like that? 

we don’t pay and then Ford can try to get his money through the courts by fighting the Covid narrative warriors. 

TheA_Bomb and slu92 like this

13 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Well there's always Drive Way Pickleball League

I've also considered a beginner Curling League

https://lonestarcurling.com/leagues/copy-3/

Brilliant idea. Looks like there is one in STL: St. Louis Curling Club (stlouiscurlingclub.org) 

Fred and BoT prez need to put personal feelings away for Chris May and try to look objectively on the programs performance currently and huge mistakes in the hirings of Crews and Ford. Then ask themselves does this guy deserve a third chance to hire a third coach? I don’t know how anyone can allow it. I really don’t get how the fan base thinks SLU can’t ever do any better than what they currently have at the time? This program should be the class of the A10 and it’s a bottom feeder. We are not in position to go anywhere, much less the Big East. Hiring a new coach is a must, most agree, but leaving the same guy in charge who put us in the position we are now is a much greater mistake. Without NIL money everything is DOA. Right now as far as I know SLU struggles at best raising a dime for NIL. Leadership needs to really think this through, they’ve been too loyal to Chris May and all he’s done is make them look like fools in return. 

JMM28 likes this

27 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Outside the box thought:

Could SLU fire him for cause due to the Covid party he held and say he was endangering the players or something like that? 

we don’t pay and then Ford can try to get his money through the courts by fighting the Covid narrative warriors. 

The people in these back room meetings have 100% considered the dark arts of avoiding the buyout right? 

Just let the fact that Travis Ford is now averaging over $3 million per season set in and then try to tell me why Chris May is still employed.  Chris May is paid to be the adult in the room for SLU when it comes to the basketball coach's contract.  He is supposed to protect the program and the school from emotional boosters that think they have to way overpay because a coach's agent has convinced them that DePaul was on the verge of hiring their coach.

johnbj14 likes this

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Just let the fact that Travis Ford is now averaging over $3 million per season set in and then try to tell me why Chris May is still employed.  Chris May is paid to be the adult in the room for SLU when it comes to the basketball coach's contract.  He is supposed to protect the program and the school from emotional boosters that think have to way overpay because a coach's agent has convinced them that DePaul was on the verge of hiring their coach.

And yet he literally did the opposite. Got super boy crush happy about the Brooklyn run after a already disappointing season. 

If all this is indeed true, then May made a calculated decision that has backfired terribly in reality.  Folks get canned all the time for such decisions.  Coaches get canned all the time for failing to win.  Those facts are documented umpteen times over in real life.  I guess institutions of higher learning are exempts from lessons learned in reality,

The dean at Harvard got canned but kept her $900k teaching job (Harvard/MIT/Penn wherever).