Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, thetorch said:

McCollum is a different breed.  He's as close to Majerus as we can get.  Throwing money at him won't just get him.  

In all of his videos and stories about him he genuinely wants to make a difference in an area.  He loves NW MO St and he has put them on the map.  He wants to the same thing in a larger locale.  

This is a no brainer to me.  This guy wants to develop a regional team and be the guy in a city.  St. Louis is it.  We have been searching for this for decades.  Hire him, let him feel his way around D-1 a bit.  He may lose at first but he won't lose for long.  He recruits at a D-1 level at NW and he develops players and has a fool proof system.  His 2nd best player went to Creighton the other season and averaged 14 ppg.  His best player is arguably the best D-2 player of all time, scored nearly 3,000 points.  He's had no issues with the portal, his players don't leave.  He only brings in guys who buy in for 4 years.

This is the guy  A merge of Majerus and Spoon who's only 42 years old.  We'll suck for two years and they we'll run off 20 years of 25 wins a season.  He won't cost an arm and a leg at first.

You make this guy sound too good to be true.  I’ll drink the blue Kool-Aid though.

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

He's my #1 target but I also asked the same question today. Genuinely interested in understanding more.

Kim was old.  Lifelong Asst, then went to D-2.  It took him a while to grow his program.  He won once.  He has good teams at Pittsburgh St now, but NWMO St kicks his butt every year.  When he was at Mizzou as an Asst no one was trying to hire him as a HC.  He tried to get the job at SLU multiple times.  The only reason he got considered at Mizzou was because he was friends with boosters and he was a long time asst and player.  He'd never sniff a D-1 job without that.

McCollum has no D-1 connections.  Played and coached only at D-2 schools.  First coached for Doug Moe's son, a lot of his offense is based on that lineage.  Shaka Smart offered him the moon to be his Asst at Marquette.  He has gotten offers from Valpo, Evansville, Detroit, UWGB, UW-MIl, Buffalo, Dakota St, among others the past few season and turned them all down.  There is a stigma against hiring a D-2 coach but there are dozens of current D-1 coaches who consult with him.  Grant Macasland has stolen his entire offense from him.  Once he started adding things from McCollum his teams efficiency went from high 100s into the 30s nationally.  I firmly believe the first school who can get this guy has themselves set as NCAA tourney team for 2 decades or more.

5 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

I’ll call the billboard people tomorrow. Setup a go fund me if it’s feasible. We hit our financial target, game on

Personally I'd prefer to reserve embarrassing the school publicly if/when we run out of other options.  May be we can handle this within the SLU "family" first. 

It's not personal it's business. Just because they failed doesn't mean they're bad people. I'm sure they'd prefer to be successful.  But that doesn't mean we have to keep paying either. 

A10CoachSalariesWins.jpg.02b0b6c83fe8cc97ec4bd021f6c08f42.jpg

Some research I'm doing to determine just how over paid Coach Ford is relative to the conference and performance.

I'm also looking at the performance of all D1 Coaches with at least 20 years experience in D1.  Taking some time looking at all schools.

16 hours ago, thetorch said:

Kim was old.  Lifelong Asst, then went to D-2.  It took him a while to grow his program.  He won once.  He has good teams at Pittsburgh St now, but NWMO St kicks his butt every year.  When he was at Mizzou as an Asst no one was trying to hire him as a HC.  He tried to get the job at SLU multiple times.  The only reason he got considered at Mizzou was because he was friends with boosters and he was a long time asst and player.  He'd never sniff a D-1 job without that.

McCollum has no D-1 connections.  Played and coached only at D-2 schools.  First coached for Doug Moe's son, a lot of his offense is based on that lineage.  Shaka Smart offered him the moon to be his Asst at Marquette.  He has gotten offers from Valpo, Evansville, Detroit, UWGB, UW-MIl, Buffalo, Dakota St, among others the past few season and turned them all down.  There is a stigma against hiring a D-2 coach but there are dozens of current D-1 coaches who consult with him.  Grant Macasland has stolen his entire offense from him.  Once he started adding things from McCollum his teams efficiency went from high 100s into the 30s nationally.  I firmly believe the first school who can get this guy has themselves set as NCAA tourney team for 2 decades or more.

Per McCollum's own words, the secret to his success has been recruiting four and five year players that fit his system.  But he questions whether there are enough four and five year players at the D1 level to build a successful basketball culture.  Kids expect to be paid. 

At Northwest Missouri State he doesn't have those problems.  D-2 programs don't have enough NIL money to compete for players on that basis.  He is still free to coach players hard and build better men without fear of them resorting to free agency.

Ironically, for MBMs who haven't seen his teams play, they play a lot like Jim Crews teams.  But I'm talking the good Jim Crews, the 1992 Evansville version, with lots of ball movement, cutting, three-point shooting and tenacious man to man.  The guy we got was a frustrated older gentleman yelling at clouds.

OK so I fired off the first volley in this effort.  I emailed every person in the Athletic Department asking for Coach Ford and Director May to resign.

If anyone else wants a cut and paste-able email address list so that they can also send a blast email send me a PM.

Why everyone in the department? Well so they have to address this, so everyone know just how bad this is getting. So it is in black in white how much more Ford is making than every other coach in the A10 and especially them for what?  So they know that if he stays it'll only hurt their sport.  Also putting pressure on May.

13 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

OK so I fired off the first volley in this effort.  I emailed every person in the Athletic Department asking for Coach Ford and Director May to resign.

If anyone else wants a cut and paste-able email address list so that they can also send a blast email send me a PM.

Why everyone in the department? Well so they have to address this, so everyone know just how bad this is getting. So it is in black in white how much more Ford is making than every other coach in the A10 and especially them for what?  So they know that if he stays it'll only hurt their sport.  Also putting pressure on May.

The sequel to Oppenheimer is WILD!

Pistol and brianstl like this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

The sequel to Oppenheimer is WILD!

Yeah I need to wrap this up quickly so I can get back to planning WWIII.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah I need to wrap this up quickly so I can get back to planning WWIII.

I am about 30 miles southeast of Beaufort, NC in the Atlantic right now. Two squadrons of fighter jets flew over about 10 minutes ago. Headed the wrong way to take out Ford.

22 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

-sorry for asking this silly question, any replies?

19 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-sorry for asking this silly question, any replies?

Not yet.  But that's bad.  Think about customer service or other public entities.  If you get angry correspondence you should reply with something like that conveys this message. 

1. You're heard 

2. We appreciate your support 

3. X situation isn't up to our standards

Optional 4. We're doing Y to fix X

The above recognizes the person,  the issue,  takes ownership and can diffuse problems.  Not doing it is just another sign the AD is bad. They're reading this board,  they're reading social media.  They know this isn't just a few people but a sizeable part of the fanbase that is unhappy. 

My MS in Disaster Preparedness taught me that in the crisis communications class. 

But it hasn't been a full 24 hours. I expect we'll get nothing because that's how the AD works.  They don't realize they're in the entertainment business and fans are the customers.  Then we move onto BoT and commercial sponsor contact to raise the profile of the issue. 

Just now, TheA_Bomb said:

Not doing it is just another sign the AD is bad. They're reading this board,  they're reading social media.  They know this isn't just a few people but a sizeable part of the fanbase that is unhappy. 

The MMP episode echoed the same thing. The whole tight lips shtick this year has been frustrating. It just seems like they don't care.

Pistol likes this

8 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

The MMP episode echoed the same thing. The whole tight lips shtick this year has been frustrating. It just seems like they don't care.

You’ve definitely hit upon something there. The AD’s normal attitude of never sharing anything definitely also sends exactly the same message as “we don’t care”.

23 hours ago, brianstl said:

I am about 30 miles southeast of Beaufort, NC in the Atlantic right now. Two squadrons of fighter jets flew over about 10 minutes ago. Headed the wrong way to take out Ford.

With his 2.4 mil he might be able to afford a fighter jet, him and Jimbo Fisher could be wingmen.

7 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Not yet.  But that's bad.  Think about customer service or other public entities.  If you get angry correspondence you should reply with something like that conveys this message. 

1. You're heard 

2. We appreciate your support 

3. X situation isn't up to our standards

Optional 4. We're doing Y to fix X

The above recognizes the person,  the issue,  takes ownership and can diffuse problems.  Not doing it is just another sign the AD is bad. They're reading this board,  they're reading social media.  They know this isn't just a few people but a sizeable part of the fanbase that is unhappy. 

My MS in Disaster Preparedness taught me that in the crisis communications class. 

But it hasn't been a full 24 hours. I expect we'll get nothing because that's how the AD works.  They don't realize they're in the entertainment business and fans are the customers.  Then we move onto BoT and commercial sponsor contact to raise the profile of the issue. 

-not a surprise there are no replies, I expect a full turtle approach for the ADept

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Has anyone responded yet?

Nope, next phase BoTs and sponsors. Y'all ready?

What I plan to send to BoT is key metrics, they need to be grounded in facts. So if anyone would like to share here with links, sources please do.

For sponsors we can point to diminishing attendance.

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Nope, next phase BoTs and sponsors. Y'all ready?

What I plan to send to BoT is key metrics, they need to be grounded in facts. So if anyone would like to share here with links, sources please do.

For sponsors we can point to diminishing attendance.

Have you considered the fact that the BoT and others you are contacting already agree with you and that these efforts are a bit unnecessary?  I would also add that if you are expecting some response to all this, you won't get one.  That's not how these things are handled.  I just feel like you're spinning your wheels trying to get something done that is possibly already in the works.  Maybe patience and a deep breath might be the better path.  I'm rather sure than nothing will happen until the end of the season.

bauman and ACE like this

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Have you considered the fact that the BoT and others you are contacting already agree with you and that these efforts are a bit unnecessary?  I would also add that if you are expecting some response to all this, you won't get one.  That's not how these things are handled.  I just feel like you're spinning your wheels trying to get something done that is possibly already in the works.  Maybe patience and a deep breath might be the better path.  I'm rather sure than nothing will happen until the end of the season.

Maybe, maybe not. At the end of the day, everyone knows they did what they could.