Serious Question

slu92

28 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

Even the bluebloods can have difficult years when they are in rebuilding mode.

A couple of questions as we contemplate blowing up the program:

Is TF responsible for the BVF recruiting /signing budget?  Is Chris May?

What % of D1 coaches do we think could  take our current roster into the NCAA tournament?

The greater point is we really shouldn’t be rebuilding in year 8 of a coach’s tenure who is paid this well. Especially when the years that have had high expectations have ended short of them. I don’t think a coaching change would blow things up. Rather, it would jumpstart things. 

Soderball and Bizziken like this

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

Even the bluebloods can have difficult years when they are in rebuilding mode.

A couple of questions as we contemplate blowing up the program:

Is TF responsible for the BVF recruiting /signing budget?  Is Chris May?

What % of D1 coaches do we think could  take our current roster into the NCAA tournament?

Rebuild means that something was built in the first place. That is the biggest issue.

The current roster is 100% on the current coach so your gotcha question isn't really relevant. The real question is "What % of D1 coaches do we think could have built out a complete roster that has a better chance of making the NCAA tournament?" 

Soderball likes this

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm with Lord Elrond on this one.  Until you get around the buyout issue, any talk of replacing Coach Ford is wishful thinking.  I think deep down most people understand this which is why they just skip around the issue.

Well that would be part of the evaluation issue - the AD should know where and if he can access the money to do what is necessary.

35 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If you're not happy with the roster, fund NIL. This will be true no matter who the head coach is.

Both right and wrong.  There's 2 things "can not" and "have not". I believe that the Saint Louis University Billikens can win a Sweet 16, they just have not...yet.  I do believe that Ford can not get a team to the Sweet 16.

So I think no amount of money SLU potential donors can contribute will change our limiting factor, Travis Ford.  It doesn't matter if he has a B12 PotY, the national leader in assists or a future NBA player on a team in contention. He has shown he can rarely get to the tournament and can't win if he does get in. 

So change the coach and I'll donate. 

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

What if he’s done the evaluation process and the money is not there? 

Could be but neither of us know that so it is possible he didn't -  my point only was that we can not wait until the end of the season to start any process.  Effective organizations are constantly looking ahead and doing their due diligence.

16 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Both right and wrong.  There's 2 things "can not" and "have not". I believe that the Saint Louis University Billikens can win a Sweet 16, they just have not...yet.  I do believe that Ford can not get a team to the Sweet 16.

So I think no amount of money SLU potential donors can contribute will change our limiting factor, Travis Ford.  It doesn't matter if he has a B12 PotY, the national leader in assists or a future NBA player on a team in contention. He has shown he can rarely get to the tournament and can't win if he does get in. 

sounds like that Dusty Baker fella who toils in the national pastime up to a few years ago

29 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

That may or may not be true about Ford, but what is absolutely true is that no matter who the coach is, NIL has to be funded in order for that coach to succeed.

If people want Ford and his $2.5 million/year salary to circle the drain, then continue to insufficiently fund NIL.

That will be true about the next coach, as well, regardless of how good a coach he is.

6 minutes ago, almaman said:

sounds like that Dusty Baker fella who toils in the national pastime up to a few years ago

Outliers are not the norm. Past performance is the best indicator of future success. 

30 minutes ago, gabriel said:

We should be able to do much better than Harriman. 

Completely agree. The low standards some folks have around here is baffling. I really like Harriman as an assistant. But the fact of the matter is that since he left SLU, he's never worked for a coach/program that has had any success. All of his other bosses got fired. 

2 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Completely agree. The low standards some folks have around here is baffling. I really like Harriman as an assistant. But the fact of the matter is that since he left SLU, he's never worked for a coach/program that has had any success. All of his other bosses got fired. 

I was inserting him as interim over Tate. 

JMM28 likes this

20 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Should we though? Sometimes, I doubt it.

That's part of the problem.  Many folks have unreasonable expectations about what coaches would come here, and think that just because they say that we're having high expectations this means a big name coach will be willing sign with us.