BRUCE CLEARED TO PLAY

AGB91

17 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

The SVB and Mugassa ineligibility situations were complete surprises as well (except for the scoop on this board & on the podcast).

Yeah, they're really getting let off the hook for not telling us about those until a couple weeks ago because of the Bruce and Brad situations.

VeniceMenace likes this

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Are you serious? Basically Stu's Twitter feed from the past three weeks.

They tried to hide behind his injury until he was cleared - he's got a knee injury, should be fine by sometime in November - a vague, evolving timeline. Then one hour before Monday's tipoff, they said for the first time that he wasn't cleared. They said the NCAA informed them on Sunday night that he wasn't cleared. They wanted us to believe that he was cleared, then on a Sunday night someone at the NCAA changed his mind, and then on Thursday morning he was cleared.

If you don't think SLU knew he wasn't cleared all along, I have some magic beans to sell you.

Thanks for you civil response.  Here is what I need via your magic beams.

First, and this should be easy, what is the 'clearance' document that the NCAA provides? Is it a website, a pdf document, a text, a phone call?  I don't know and am curious.  I trust you do what that looks like.  

Second, what had the NCAA supplied, or not supplied, to SLU prior to Nov 5, the Sunday when the NCAA notified May that there was an issue with Bruce?  As Bruce had been admitted to SLU as a student, I assume that his transcripts were sufficient.  Had his previous scholastic work been 'cleared' by the NCAA? 

Third, why do you state that SLU was hiding behind a knee injury?  I have a current knee injury, and it is something that time heals best.  You don't want to rush coming back on a knee issue.  It would be questionable for someone to pinpoint a precise date when a knee injury is magically healed. (I hope that Ford doesn't push Hughes too hard if his knee is questionable now.  It's a long season.)

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Thanks for you civil response.  Here is what I need via your magic beams.

First, and this should be easy, what is the 'clearance' document that the NCAA provides? Is it a website, a pdf document, a text, a phone call?  I don't know and am curious.  I trust you do what that looks like.  

Second, what had the NCAA supplied, or not supplied, to SLU prior to Nov 5, the Sunday when the NCAA notified May that there was an issue with Bruce?  As Bruce had been admitted to SLU as a student, I assume that his transcripts were sufficient.  Had his previous scholastic work been 'cleared' by the NCAA? 

Third, why do you state that SLU was hiding behind a knee injury?  I have a current knee injury, and it is something that time heals best.  You don't want to rush coming back on a knee issue.  It would be questionable for someone to pinpoint a precise date when a knee injury is magically healed. (I hope that Ford doesn't push Hughes too hard if his knee is questionable now.  It's a long season.)

You obviously follow Stu on X.  That means you should know the issue was getting Bruce through the amateurism process. Which is exactly what the hosts of the Midtown Madness podcast claimed was the issue before SLU or STU said anything about it.

According to the NCAA's website:

College-bound student-athletes enrolling for the first time at a Division I or II school must receive a final amateurism certification before being eligible to compete. This includes transfers from junior colleges, NAIA, international or Division III schools.

So this just didn't spring up on Nov. 5.  Bruce hadn't received his certification until now.  He was never previously eligible.  So when SLU led Stu to believe that Bruce was eligible and a knee injury was the only issue, they were misleading him and in turn misleading people that follow the basketball program.

Thank you for your genuine interest in the process.

TRN likes this

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You obviously follow Stu on X.  That means you should know the issue was getting Bruce through the amateurism process. Which is exactly what the hosts of the Midtown Madness podcast claimed was the issue before SLU or STU said anything about it.

According to the NCAA's website:

So this just didn't spring up on Nov. 5.  Bruce hadn't received his certification until now.  He was never previously eligible.  So when SLU led Stu to believe that Bruce was eligible and a knee injury was the only issue, they were misleading him and in turn misleading people that follow the basketball program.

Thank you for your genuine interest in the process.

Here is the only other option besides Bruce always being ineligible. This is, again, speculation based on the timeline of events. It is entirely possible that Bruce was cleared based on everything submitted when he enrolled. However, they may have not included the widely circulated article regarding signing with a Chinese club due to insufficient research. At some point they discover this issue and find out he may not be eligible and submit this new information. I don't know when that would have been but it certainly wasn't Sunday before the home opener. My guess based on the knee injury narrative is around then. They offered a time frame for his injury based on what they thought the process might take, mysterious knee injuries can always be extended. Stu was the first to take note that he didn't look to be favoring his knee or have it braced or wrapped. From there people started connecting dots and sniffing around. So they fudged the timeline of when they found out he wouldn't be eligible. Did Sunday night come and they started to realize the NCAA wasn't going to make a ruling by Monday nights game? Sure. But they likely knew that he had eligibility questions and wasn't cleared yet well before Sunday. 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

So Bruce was telling the truth.

So the major conspiracy is over, five days after it happened.  Now we can get back to whether or not there was a second shooter in Dallas in 1963.

Translation: I was wrong but I can't admit it so let's just forget the whole thing happened.  

thetorch likes this

23 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Translation: I was wrong but I can't admit it so let's just forget the whole thing happened.  

Alright had to come back to Billikens.com to post something about women's soccer, which means the world is already pretty strange.  Well done Woodward!  You and Bernstein cracked the case of the obfuscating AD!  I'm sure they'll write books about the two of you.  Too bad Redford is too old to play you in the movie. Thanks to you, everyone who hated the AD for its crimes against humanity STILL hates the AD.  Everyone who was inclined to give the AD a little slack still is.  They would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!    

MariaReynolds likes this

51 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Alright had to come back to Billikens.com to post something about women's soccer, which means the world is already pretty strange.  Well done Woodward!  You and Bernstein cracked the case of the obfuscating AD!  I'm sure they'll write books about the two of you.  Too bad Redford is too old to play you in the movie. Thanks to you, everyone who hated the AD for its crimes against humanity STILL hates the AD.  Everyone who was inclined to give the AD a little slack still is.  They would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!    

You have bad opinions about pretty much everything.

billikenbill and thetorch like this

3 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

OK.  So he has been cleared and will be suited up on Saturday.  Does anyone know for sure whether he is truly healthy though?

Dude these are the Billikens.

Situation 3 is brewing as we speak.

Getting this thread on track a little bit… I can’t remember the last time a recruit had less game film than Bruce.  Even Knollmeyer had film posterizing the trash can.  We have heard some promising reports, but in reality Bruce could be anywhere from Husak to an A10 Frosh of the Year candidate. But I’m excited to find out!

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Getting this thread on track a little bit… I can’t remember the last time a recruit had less game film than Bruce.  Even Knollmeyer had film posterizing the trash can.  We have heard some promising reports, but in reality Bruce could be anywhere from Husak to an A10 Frosh of the Year candidate. But I’m excited to find out!

He played on a prep school team with other D1 recruits…putting up some nice numbers for points, rebounds, blocks and assists. Suspect he was not the top center because there were stretches where he didn’t show up in the box score. Even if he’s a bit of a stiff as a frosh, ball distribution to open shooters could be a strength.

Don't want to throw cold water on this thread but when I checked injury and player eligibility reports Thur morning Zhang's  name was no longer on the list which seemed to coincide with Stu's report.  However , when I checked Thur evening he was back on the list  as "out indefinitely"...Here is a copy of the report...it appears on multiple sports info and betting sites....something doesn't add up .

Player POS Status  
B. Zhang C Out indefinitely - Eligibility
( Thu, Nov 9)

Zhang is sidelined while waiting for his eligibility waiver acceptance, and he will miss an undetermined length of time.

SLU continues to be a Mickey Mouse organization.  Be honest and upfront about players’ statuses.  

We’re past 1999 and everyone has the internet, even if the SLU AD believes otherwise.  Players being ineligible and under investigation, whether by merit or not, by the NCAA is the norm.  

Just be transparent, even by obfuscating the whole story, and maybe give some information to your ever depleting / dying / shrinking fan base.

brianstl and majerus mojo like this

55 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Don't want to throw cold water on this thread but when I checked injury and player eligibility reports Thur morning Zhang's  name was no longer on the list which seemed to coincide with Stu's report.  However , when I checked Thur evening he was back on the list  as "out indefinitely"...Here is a copy of the report...it appears on multiple sports info and betting sites....something doesn't add up .

Player POS Status  
( Thu, Nov 9)

Zhang is sidelined while waiting for his eligibility waiver acceptance, and he will miss an undetermined length of time.

Could just be failure to pay attention to details and update the form properly. We’ve seen a lot of failure to pay attention to details by SLU this year….

6 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Player POS Status  
( Thu, Nov 9)

Let’s hope this is incorrect.

Before this whole thread disintegrates into a finger pointing game as to who did what and why, I wonder if anyone in this board has ever watched Bruce play. He did not play in the open practice I attended, and other than knowing that he is Chinese, and that he is very tall, all else about Bruce is shrouded in confusion. My question is: can he play or is he a project for development?

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Before this whole thread disintegrates into a finger pointing game as to who did what and why, I wonder if anyone in this board has ever watched Bruce play. He did not play in the open practice I attended, and other than knowing that he is Chinese, and that he is very tall, all else about Bruce is shrouded in confusion. My question is: can he play or is he a project for development?

That is a great question. I don’t think there is all that much video on him, nor is there many who have seen him play much. He’s tall, which is great. Beyond that? I don’t think many people know what he can do. Get him out there as soon as you can.

37 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Haven't seen him play but I know two things to be certain:

He's 7" taller than our current starting center and there's no way he's worse than SVB. 

5 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Haven't seen him play but I know two things to be certain:

He's 7" taller than our current starting center and there's no way he's worse than SVB. 

true.

i will say about our netherlands guy, the guy is full of energy.   getting players to play that hard is tough.   now we just got to get him to control himself.   i havent seen anyone over 10 years old fall for fakes as much as he did Wednesday night.   if the score wouldnt have been so lopsided it would have been a disaster.   but he too is big and like i said, he sure is a bundle of energy.   surely that can be harnessed to give us some productivity.  

AGB91 likes this