Tatum & Beal

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Do folks often give money to private Universities that they have no affiliation with? While I largely disagree with the initial post (I think highlighting Jordan Goodwin is the only thing I agree with), I disagree even more with folks thinking Beal or Tatum working out with their trainer at Simon Rec one time on a random Thursday night is somehow going to help with recruiting or raising money. I assume neither spend a whole lot of time in STL at this point as I think those guys are typically working out with Drew out in LA. It’s all nothing. Just like Jordan being on campus to watch his sons and shoot around in the rec a few summers back when I was in college while cool had no impact on the program. I forgot to ask him to give money to the program though, so that’s on me and a missed opportunity. I do love the thought of a random athletic department minion going up to Beal and asking him if he would be interested in contributing to the program.

A good chunk of athletics donors at all D1 schools are non-alums. It is similar to this board - some folks are out of town alums, some folks are in town alums, and some went somewhere else/didn't go to college but became fans of the program. Jayson has the obvious connection with his dad being an alum of the program. I believe his mom still resides in STL as well. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

Neither did Gussie Busch, and yet the student center is named after him.

Local corporations usually give to the local university. Monsanto Hall-the chemistry hall & McDonnell Douglas (which was around when the building was built) Hall-Parks College. 

I seem to recall when I arrived at SLU, the Busch Student Center building was only a few years old. During my junior year (72-3) the administration finally relented and they opened a bar serving adult beverages. It was stipulated when building the Student Center, if they opened a bar, the beers had to be A-B products. They did. 

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Rex is a SLU alum.

Bob didn't go to college.

I am always amazed at the utter BS that is posted on this Board and people lap it up as true. Forget about Dandridge. 

Bob O’Lougllin graduated from Connecticut and is one of the smartest businessmen in St. Louis. He has been incredibly generous to SLU and active on the Board of Trustees, including acting as Chair of the Athletic Committee—and the O’Loughlin Family Champions Center is almost finished and it will be a fantastic facility. It is incredible that you and about 6 or 7 others on this board can do nothing but complain and post highly negative comments about everything related to SLU.  

‘Why not give it a rest for a few months? Believe it or not there are many wonderful things happening at the university and our student body is a bunch of wonderful young people who really care about academics and caring for others and the 400+ athletes really care about academics as true student athletes and they want win and be successful. No person is perfect, no coach is perfect, no team is perfect but they are all doing the best they can to represent the university in a positive way and we should be very proud of them. 

32 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

I am always amazed at the utter BS that is posted on this Board and people lap it up as true. Forget about Dandridge. 

Bob O’Lougllin graduated from Connecticut and is one of the smartest businessmen in St. Louis. He has been incredibly generous to SLU and active on the Board of Trustees, including acting as Chair of the Athletic Committee—and the O’Loughlin Family Champions Center is almost finished and it will be a fantastic facility. It is incredible that you and about 6 or 7 others on this board can do nothing but complain and post highly negative comments about everything related to SLU.  

‘Why not give it a rest for a few months? Believe it or not there are many wonderful things happening at the university and our student body is a bunch of wonderful young people who really care about academics and caring for others and the 400+ athletes really care about academics as true student athletes and they want win and be successful. No person is perfect, no coach is perfect, no team is perfect but they are all doing the best they can to represent the university in a positive way and we should be very proud of them. 

I left out "here" on my phone.  Bob is a wonderful businessman who went from managing the downtown Clarion to owning over 40 different hotels in less than a decade.  He's given all over the city to multiple causes.  I hope when the O'Loughlin Center is completed he holds you accountable for lack of funding and athletic success.  This wasn't built to be eye candy this was built so the mens and womens teams can make the NCAA tournament every year.   

I have no problem with our student-athletes.  I am a multiple sport season ticket holder.  My shared basketball season tickets date back to the 40s.  How many do you have Joe?

The fans have been promised a top 50 program for going on 40 years.  In those 40 years we've spent hundreds of millions of dollars on facilities yet we still haven't achieved that goal, or even come close.  From the top down the basketball program is run like the litle engine that could, when we have the resources of a power 6 school.  How long do the fans have to wait till we have a program on par with Villanova, Xavier, Creighton, Butler, and dare I say it Dayton.  Why have we been passed up by all those schools in that time period?  

The basketball program has been horribly mismanaged for decades now.  It doesn't matter who the coach or the AD is.  They all have the same problems.  So to really affect change we need to go higher up.

It is time for you to step down and let someone else come in who will bring our athletic programs where we need to be.  If you don't than just admit that you are accepting of mediocrity and this is all the SLU will ever be.  As a 40 year fan of the program who has seen about 8 good teams in those 40 years I think I deserve to know.

wgstl likes this

43 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I left out "here" on my phone.  Bob is a wonderful businessman who went from managing the downtown Clarion to owning over 40 different hotels in less than a decade.  He's given all over the city to multiple causes.  I hope when the O'Loughlin Center is completed he holds you accountable for lack of funding and athletic success.  This wasn't built to be eye candy this was built so the mens and womens teams can make the NCAA tournament every year.   

I have no problem with our student-athletes.  I am a multiple sport season ticket holder.  My shared basketball season tickets date back to the 40s.  How many do you have Joe?

The fans have been promised a top 50 program for going on 40 years.  In those 40 years we've spent hundreds of millions of dollars on facilities yet we still haven't achieved that goal, or even come close.  From the top down the basketball program is run like the litle engine that could, when we have the resources of a power 6 school.  How long do the fans have to wait till we have a program on par with Villanova, Xavier, Creighton, Butler, and dare I say it Dayton.  Why have we been passed up by all those schools in that time period?  

The basketball program has been horribly mismanaged for decades now.  It doesn't matter who the coach or the AD is.  They all have the same problems.  So to really affect change we need to go higher up.

It is time for you to step down and let someone else come in who will bring our athletic programs where we need to be.  If you don't than just admit that you are accepting of mediocrity and this is all the SLU will ever be.  As a 40 year fan of the program who has seen about 8 good teams in those 40 years I think I deserve to know.

Just for the sake of clarification Torch, who are you asking to step down?

4 hours ago, JMM28 said:

A good chunk of athletics donors at all D1 schools are non-alums. It is similar to this board - some folks are out of town alums, some folks are in town alums, and some went somewhere else/didn't go to college but became fans of the program. Jayson has the obvious connection with his dad being an alum of the program. I believe his mom still resides in STL as well. 

Let me know when Jayson gives to SLU, would love to know. It would be rather surprising to see an athlete give to a school they didn’t attend. Whoever strikes that deal deserves quite the pay raise.

2 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

It is incredible that you and about 6 or 7 others on this board can do nothing but complain and post highly negative comments about everything related to SLU.  

In fairness those that call the shots on Billiken athletics could use some help. I don’t think they understand the current landscape. I’m a loser with little life outside of college athletics, I’d be willing to keep them updated on the lay of the land. You have to know what you don’t know.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

In fairness those that call the shots on Billiken athletics could use some help. I don’t think they understand the current landscape. I’m a loser with little life outside of college athletics, I’d be willing to keep them updated on the lay of the land. You have to know what you don’t know.

Billikenswin is the one calling the shots.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

Still the most idiotic thread of the summer and again that's  saying something......

I think it's getting better.  By page 5 I bet we really turn a corner.

Billiken Rich likes this

6 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Did Gussie Busch go to college?

WTF cares if he did ? You don’t turn non alums especially one of his caliber away from donating to the home college. It happens all the time at other schools. SLU barely if at all gets coverage from the local media, so they can’t afford to turn away ANYONE.

This place is unbearable and I hope the players and personnel haven’t stumbled upon this.

2 hours ago, Brighton said:

WTF cares if he did ? You don’t turn non alums especially one of his caliber away from donating to the home college. It happens all the time at other schools. SLU barely if at all gets coverage from the local media, so they can’t afford to turn away ANYONE.

This place is unbearable and I hope the players and personnel haven’t stumbled upon this.

This takes the cake. You have relentlessly attacked the program and its personnel. You constantly interject your Ford hate, regardless of the topic. You are unbearable. A little self awareness would go a long way around here. 

3 hours ago, Brighton said:

You don’t turn non alums especially one of his caliber away from donating to the home college.

I don't think anyone said otherwise. I just find it amusing to think that Brad Beal getting up shots with his trainer one night at Simon Rec is an opportunity to get him to contribute money to SLU when he has no ties to the school (I suppose Tatum does have ties to the school through his mom and dad, but still can't imagine him giving to the school). Again, I am all for someone within the program posting a video of local NBA players on campus, but to pretend it is some big recruiting tool or chance to get them to contribute financially to the program seems like quite the reach. Although, if you allow his family to be the architect on the project, maybe you can lock him in....