O.T. Thoughts about potential new A-10 member

OK, it is the off season, and alot of Big 12 expansion talk, and Pac 12 media rights deal... So I will just throw out this idea, get some thoughts....

Would College of Charleston be a viable option to be the 16th member??

East Coast school , metro area, without football, .  Question , would they even be interested?? 

I would pass on them for the same reason I would pass on a school like Iona. I’m just not sure how sustainable their success is once Kelsey leaves. I know he signed a 5 year extension last year, but I have a hard time believing he won’t get snatched up by a P5 school relatively soon. 

JMM28 likes this

9 hours ago, BLIKNS said:

OK, it is the off season, and alot of Big 12 expansion talk, and Pac 12 media rights deal... So I will just throw out this idea, get some thoughts....

Would College of Charleston be a viable option to be the 16th member??

East Coast school , metro area, without football, .  Question , would they even be interested?? 

No.  The A-10 needs less members, not more.

17 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Or we at least need to change the name because having 16 teams in the A-10 just sounds fuoking ridiculous.

billiken_roy likes this

Hard Pass GIFs | Tenor

Belmont is my #1, at least get into the Nashville market. Other than that a private University willing to make a major commitment to basketball in Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana. I honestly have not thought through if any schools actually would match my criteria in any of those states, but that's my preference. Obviously the only school of the top of my head would be Bellarmine, but they are a long way away.

57 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Hard Pass GIFs | Tenor

Belmont is my #1, at least get into the Nashville market. Other than that a private University willing to make a major commitment to basketball in Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana. I honestly have not thought through if any schools actually would match my criteria in any of those states, but that's my preference. Obviously the only school of the top of my head would be Bellarmine, but they are a long way away.

Belmont is a logical choice, but it won't happen lol.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I really doubt Belmont is leaving the MVC anytime soon. 

Schools in those states that would qualify off the top of my head..

Kentucky: Nothing private, but have Northern Kentucky that would make a lot of sense. 

Tennessee: Belmont, Lipscomb. I think those and Vandy are the only 3 private schools that play D1 basketball in the state. 

Illinois: Bradley

Iowa: Drake 

Indiana: No private schools worth discussing. Valpo is closer to insolvency than investment in sport. (You people in) Evansville hasn't been relevant since well before McCarty was banging cheerleaders. 

I like College of Charleston they've had some BB success(Bobby Cremins used to coach there) and are in a great town to visit.  I went to a Citadel vs CoC game years ago. 

Belmont is a better choice more BB success, good city and could start East and West Divisions. 

19 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I really doubt Belmont is leaving the MVC anytime soon. 

Schools in those states that would qualify off the top of my head..

Kentucky: Nothing private, but have Northern Kentucky that would make a lot of sense. 

Tennessee: Belmont, Lipscomb. I think those and Vandy are the only 3 private schools that play D1 basketball in the state. 

Illinois: Bradley

Iowa: Drake 

Indiana: No private schools worth discussing. Valpo is closer to insolvency than investment in sport. (You people in) Evansville hasn't been relevant since well before McCarty was banging cheerleaders. 

Totally agree. Anytime I talk conference realignment especially regarding the A10 I'm only interested in moving the conference west and keeping the private school vibe. I don't necessarily take into account where the program is at the moment only the ones that make sense within the parameters.

47 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Everyone knows where I stand. Your first call is University of Toronto. After that, Belmont and CofC.  Wildcard would be Liberty 

Isn't Carlton the Duke of Canada? If we're going north that's a slam dunk. 

6 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Isn't Carlton the Duke of Canada? If we're going north that's a slam dunk. 

Toronto makes more sense. Obviously they will need to want to do this, but if they decide to make a commitment to athletics, they could easily be a p5 schools.  They would check almost if not every single box.  The amount of kids they could keep from coming to America to play college Bball would alone make them a powerhouse. 

I’d love to see CofC in the A10, because I live here. That said, I agree that Kelsey will likely move on to a P5 if he continues his success there. He got an extension but at about $1 mm a year. So a buyout would be fairly cheap. One thing about CofC they always seem to bring in a good replacement HC. But as we all know what appears to be a good replacement is not a guarantee of success. 

5 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

Correct, but this won’t happen. So they need to add more. What they shouldn’t do is stay put 

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

Toronto makes more sense. Obviously they will need to want to do this, but if they decide to make a commitment to athletics, they could easily be a p5 schools.  They would check almost if not every single box.  The amount of kids they could keep from coming to America to play college Bball would alone make them a powerhouse. 

Well B12 will have MBB, WBB games in Mexico next year and possible Bowl Game in Monterrey so you're on trend. 

6 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Well B12 will have MBB, WBB games in Mexico next year and possible Bowl Game in Monterrey so you're on trend. 

There's already Canadian teams in the NCAA, so no real issue there. 

- Amazing campus

- large TV market

- ton of players in the NBA from the area

- close to a handful of A10 schools

- Large student pop

- large endowment 

Again, they would have to take a step in athletics, but if they did, homerun for this conference. 

Over in some other threads, we lament the current direction of college basketball ..... pay for play, fake NIL work-arounds, downsizing to D1A and D1AA ... and so on.  If Saint Louis University is having trouble playing in the new NIL order, what chance do La Salle, Duquesne, Fordham, St. Joe's, Geedubya, Mason, Bonaventure, Davidson and Richmond have to compete in that same NIL order?  Adding Belmont or Bradley or Charleston or whomever means just adding another potential D1AA school to an ever-increasing number of other D1AA schools.  As I see it, the A10 is fast approaching life-support status, but so too would the Horizon, Valley, Summit, Mid American, Patriot and anyone else outside the P5 + 1.  Sure, it's likely Gonzaga and even St. Mary's could move up, ditto Sand Diego State and Utah State.  But what about Pepperdine?  San Francisco?  UTEP?  Southern Miss?  Detroit Mercy?  Mount St. Mary's?  Northeastern?  I sincerely doubt it.  

I don't think adding to the A10 is the answer but I also don't think subtracting from the A10 works either.  The answer seems to be get the hell out of the A10 or die with it.

cgeldmacher likes this