I hate Phil Forte

So in retrospect this mysterious tweet was most certainly about Phil Forte 

Ford takes a flier on young Phil.

Phil gets zero recruits for SLU and wastes time and money on his TX connections.

When Phil finally grabs a couple kids, he jumps ship for a new job and takes them with him.

SLU and Ford are left high and dry.

I've never seen a Billikens Asst simply turn on the program like this. 

Forte is the ultimate tool.

The worst part is Forte took over for his deceased friend and Ford's nephew Stuen. Without his untimely death Forte would still be washing jockstraps. Way to honor Stuen's memory Phil.

I hope we play North Texas every year so we can heckle and boo this bum.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised by Forte's move.  I would have thought an assistant would make more $$ at SLU than at North Texas State. 

From what I can see on the interwebs, new HC at NTSU Ross Hodge is making just North of $700K.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

So in retrospect this mysterious tweet was most certainly about Phil Forte 

Ford takes a flier on young Phil.

Phil gets zero recruits for SLU and wastes time and money on his TX connections.

When Phil finally grabs a couple kids, he jumps ship for a new job and takes them with him.

SLU and Ford are left high and dry.

I've never seen a Billikens Asst simply turn on the program like this. 

Forte is the ultimate tool.

The worst part is Forte took over for his deceased friend and Ford's nephew Stuen. Without his untimely death Forte would still be washing jockstraps. Way to honor Stuen's memory Phil.

I hope we play North Texas every year so we can heckle and boo this bum.

RamJAMTIME and ACE like this

44 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Noland hadn’t even committed to SLU when that tweet was made.

You know I talked about this last night, recording. I, and I assume many fans, read it as "current players" to which I responded: well at least we don't have any candidates. But maybe it was transfers and non-signed recruits. Idk, it's a hell of a coincidence. But at the end of the day, why are players being signed more interested in playing for the assistant recruiting them than the head coach of the program they are being recruited to? That is my question.

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You know I talked about this last night, recording. I, and I assume many fans, read it as "current players" to which I responded: well at least we don't have any candidates. But maybe it was transfers and non-signed recruits. Idk, it's a hell of a coincidence. But at the end of the day, why are players being signed more interested in playing for the assistant recruiting them than the head coach of the program they are being recruited to? That is my question.

Ya the coincidence is too strong not to link Forte and Noland. 

29 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Assistants do the bulk of recruiting, as you know. It is not uncommon for players to feel more attachment to an assistant.

9 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Assistants do the bulk of recruiting, as you know. It is not uncommon for players to feel more attachment to an assistant.

I understand that, and I still ask why did Travis Ford put all his recruiting eggs in the Phil Forte basket to the point that half your recruiting class decommit. Regardless of your point, it’s a red flag.

Forte moving on for sure impacted CJ Noland. But this tweet/event alone doesn't make hiring Forte a mistake this stuff happens. However, given all the other program ongoings in totality it's just another bad event and indicator the program is on the wrong path.

slu72 likes this

9 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

True so you're saying Ford was completely blind sided that 1 of his assistants was thinking about moving on and thus unaware the impact that would have on recruiting.   A head coach with the trust of his staff/players will be attuned to their aspirations, possible moves, life stuff.  To not know on such a small staff and with a small group is not good.

21 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I understand that, and I still ask why did Travis Ford put all his recruiting eggs in the Phil Forte basket to the point that half your recruiting class decommit. Regardless of your point, it’s a red flag.

This was always a concern of mine. The ast coach needs to start the connection, but the HC should be right there to carry it on regardless of the ast coach.  From the way it sounds, Ford and Vice barely had much of a connection.  This does not make sense to me. 

33 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don’t really disagree with you but think there is more randomness to the process. Forte was able to land a few guys (finally) and then decided to leave. It is bad timing but not sure how controllable it all is.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Money

7 minutes ago, DOC said:

Money

Yeah UNT got all that Meatloaf, Don Henley and Norah Jones money flowing in to their NIL (all known to be big Mean Green BB fans). Apparently he'd do anything for love but miss a Mean Green BB game.

Can we get some James Gunn money flowing in? Maybe an extra in a film wearing a "Where winners migrate shirt"?

torch, i am  typically with you.   and i am not necessarily not on this one.   However, i have never seen it said that forte even left on his own accord and neither of the two recruits that left have said they left because forte isnt there.   imo (of course, sight unseen for this opinion) neither of the two recruits are known huge losses imo.   we didnt exactly lose the next coming of anthony bonner and Larry the Legend.   so dont you think the "hate" on forte is a little strong?   again i am not happy we lost two recruits particularly since we still have open roster spots.  

whatever short term pain we experience due to losing these two recruits, it is my opinion changing the direction forte concentrated on (texas, south tennessee, oklahoma, etc) in the long term will be a benefit as we cannot and would not compete for recruits in his "territory".   long term we are better off i think without forte.  

TheA_Bomb likes this

If I ran this thing my recruiting focus would be MO, Southern IL, and the radius of cities Chicago, Indianapolis,  Cincy, Nashville, Memphis, Tulsa. Then include parochial schools on East Coast and other big cities.  Overall focus on Catholic Schools with good BB programs in those areas.  

1 minute ago, DOC said:

None of it matters, except the money, until you get to the guy’s not getting much. We need to cut a million from the basketball payroll and stick it into player’s salary. 

Easier said than done but yes I agree a redistribution of where the big donor money flows seems necessary.

All this had me pondering the utility of hiring a HC Blake Ahearn.  Hear me out... he's got NBA and G League experience.  We can win if we had a roster of 2 to 3 G League level players on our team.  If he can evaluate and develop that talent while selling his experience that coupled with NIL money could make SLU a winner. Let's say he comes to SLU for $1.5mil/year salary. That other $1mil/yr in big donors money flows to NIL BVF.  Then he evaluates guys and sells them on getting developed.  I  estimate it would take 2-3 per year to win the A10 and compete. 

The ending of the Forte era seemed inevitable to me. I understand Ford had a strong prior relationship, but it was never a good fit for this program. The recruiting adventures into Texas made no sense and it seemed like Forte was just auditioning for a job in Texas or Oklahoma. We are a Midwest program playing in an East Coast league - let's get back to acting like it again. 

billiken_roy likes this

22 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

If I ran this thing my recruiting focus would be MO, Southern IL, and the radius of cities Chicago, Indianapolis,  Cincy, Nashville, Memphis, Tulsa. Then include parochial schools on East Coast and other big cities.  Overall focus on Catholic Schools with good BB programs in those areas.  

-why Tulsa? do you live there? am I missing another joke?

Just now, Cowboy II said:

-why Tulsa? do you live there? am I missing another joke?

No just drawing a circle around drivable cities.