A10 Portal News

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

I don’t disagree with you at all on that.  But you can’t tell me coaches aren’t working behind the scenes on their next job. 

WHAT, you mean that Grant McCasland accepting the Texas Tech job while N Texas State was cutting down the NIT nets wasn't completely on the up and up?  😀

Slowry likes this

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Javon Bennett,  6'4" freshman guard, from Merrimack to Dayton,  Played 34 games, 30 mpg, almost 10 ppg.  

I think he led the country in steals. Dayton loading up on guards. Hopefully we get one more in the portal.

Bennett is listed at 5-11.

Put up good numbers as a freshman and was the NEC freshman of the year, but the NEC is one of the weakest conferences in D-I. The other schools recruiting him were William & Mary, Indiana State, Jacksonville, Charlotte, UMES, Colgate, Furman, and Iona. He'll have a role in the A10, especially given how he creates steals, but it looks like Dayton is just shoring up depth at guard.

And that they're also finding out this portal cycle is more expensive than they expected.

4 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

We need rebounders and people like Luke Meyers who had a nose for the ball- we had too much standing around being polite in the last two years

You must be related to Luke Meyers. Nothing against Luke but a very marginal player. 

21 minutes ago, willie said:

You must be related to Luke Meyers. Nothing against Luke but a very marginal player. 

But a culture guy. A guy you could build a team around. There aren’t many guys like that. He had a high basketball IQ and brought nothing but a positive energy to the squad. Give me a full roster of Luke Meyer types over a me-first guy like ___________ (insert any non-SLU player of your choosing here).

16 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

But a culture guy. A guy you could build a team around. There aren’t many guys like that. He had a high basketball IQ and brought nothing but a positive energy to the squad. Give me a full roster of Luke Meyer types over a me-first guy like ___________ (insert any non-SLU player of your choosing here).

Here again nothing against Luke but a roster full of Luke’s won’t win many games. Give me an Alan Iverson . 

14 hours ago, thetorch said:

I'm reminded of Soderberg's quote about Ross Varner 

"You can't have 12 Ross Varners on a team, but every team should have 1 Ross Varner."

Every team should have an Anthony Drejaj and at least one Josh Fisher too!

Edited by Billiken Rich
More Josh Fisher is more better
SLU_Lax and AGB91 like this

On 4/10/2023 at 9:34 PM, willie said:

Here again nothing against Luke but a roster full of Luke’s won’t win many games. Give me an Alan Iverson . 

We have had others with a nose forvthe ball and desire- Scott Highmark was one

Noah Fernandes Umass to Rutgers.

Dyondre Dominguez Umass to Arkansas State.

Benny Schroder from Oklahoma to Geedubya.

Zek Montgomery from Bradley to Rhode Island.

Joe Bamisile from VA Tech to Geedubya to Oklahoma to VCU.

Quincy McGriff from Duquesne to Texas-San Antonio.

Louis Breechmore from St. Joe's to Fairfield.

Josh Nickleberry from Louisville to La Salle to Florida State.

I don't have the ambition to get up and go look at Ford's past rosters outside of SLU.  Maybe someone else can.  I did a quick perusal of the glory years with Marcus Smart at Okie State and found that outside of some guy named Mark Cobbins, Ford essentially used a lineup of guards and forwards ... usually three guards and two forwards.  We've seen that here as well and here has also shown a pattern of two semi-bigs that sub in and out for each other, never playing at the same time ala Camara and Holmes at Dayton. Given this pattern of similarity, I find it absolutely difficult to believe the impending roster will look anything different than in past rosters.  Getting any forwards of substance --- small forward, power forward or center ---- seems a very large leap of faith.  

Outside of French and Okoro, we have rarely landed a big of any real consequence.  Foreman was decent, but a star?  No.  Rashed Anthony?  No.  Andre Lorentssen?  No.  KC Hankton?  No.  Lasina Traore?  No (not here).  Marten Linssen?  No.  Serviceable as a backup but his resume was Valpo and UNC-Wilmington.  Jake Forrester?  No.  A nice cog off the bench?  Maybe.  Momo Cisse?  No.  Now here comes Bruce Zhang.  The proof is in the pudding and unlike many on here, I am back to my Missouri roots of 'Show Me,'  

Ford has excelled with the "little" guys.  Bess.  Isabell.  Goodwin.  Jimerson.  Collins.  Parker.  Medley.  Hughes.  His coaching resume builders include Smart, Markell Brown, Bess, Isabell, Goodwin and Collins.  If kids sign with coaches, they likely do so for 1) likability and 2) which coach will get me where I want to go.  Makes great sense for Medley.  Maybe even CJ Noland (although the Forte departure puts that in question now).

I can't recall a more depressing time in my Billiken fandom and that includes Ekker, Grawer early and late, and much more in between.  Travis needs to re-recruit me it seems and I see a lot of that permeating this board.