A10 Portal News

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

He looks very tall. But seriously, why would they not include his name, just his @? Or is that too old fashioned?

You tend to assume that taller = better for basketball players, but I'm not so sure in this case here:

1. If this kid is really taller than the Sears..ahem..Willis Tower, he's not actually going to be able to fit into any basketball arena much less the bandbox HS gymnasiums several A-10 schools call arenas.
  2. Even if you somehow got him inside the arena / on the court (say there was a retractable roof or something), he'd still have issues.  Willis Tower is 1,461 feet tall.  Let's assume the average 7 footer has feet that are exactly 12 inches long (this is probably grossly undersizing).  Using the same ratio - this guy's foot is over 208 feet long and a basketball court is only 94 feet long.  He'd always be out of bounds.  Every time he touched the ball it would be a turnover.

I really question Loy-Chi's coaching staff here.

basebill123 likes this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

You tend to assume that taller = better for basketball players, but I'm not so sure in this case here:

1. If this kid is really taller than the Sears..ahem..Willis Tower, he's not actually going to be able to fit into any basketball arena much less the bandbox HS gymnasiums several A-10 schools call arenas.
  2. Even if you somehow got him inside the arena / on the court (say there was a retractable roof or something), he'd still have issues.  Willis Tower is 1,461 feet tall.  Let's assume the average 7 footer has feet that are exactly 12 inches long (this is probably grossly undersizing).  Using the same ratio - this guy's foot is over 208 feet long and a basketball court is only 94 feet long.  He'd always be out of bounds.  Every time he touched the ball it would be a turnover.

I really question Loy-Chi's coaching staff here.

All he has to do is stand in front of the opponent’s basket. Shut out ! 

He seems to be the same player as Nick Kern ---- good hustle, good drives, no outside shot.  I'd say a Chicago kid going home but he's from Columbus, Ohio.  He will upgrade the 'Blers overall athleticism which was extremely low outside of Alston.

We don't have all the details, but straight up, this has a lot of stink on it.

https://dailycollegian.com/2023/04/rj-luis-enters-the-transfer-portal-after-agreeing-to-nil-deal/

RJ Luis enters the transfer portal after agreeing to NIL deal

According to Patrick MacWilliams, Director of the Massachusetts Collective, Luis received $1,000 from the Collective to “enter into a letter of intent” on March 13, and had until April 1 to execute the deal, worth $100,000 over two years.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

We don't have all the details, but straight up, this has a lot of stink on it.

https://dailycollegian.com/2023/04/rj-luis-enters-the-transfer-portal-after-agreeing-to-nil-deal/

RJ Luis enters the transfer portal after agreeing to NIL deal

According to Patrick MacWilliams, Director of the Massachusetts Collective, Luis received $1,000 from the Collective to “enter into a letter of intent” on March 13, and had until April 1 to execute the deal, worth $100,000 over two years.

I understand the frustration.  But coaches have been seeking a better option for years.  Coaches have become rich off college players for years.  They have jumped ship for a better payday.  I don’t blame the players at all.

5 hours ago, Slowry said:

I understand the frustration.  But coaches have been seeking a better option for years.  Coaches have become rich off college players for years.  They have jumped ship for a better payday.  I don’t blame the players at all.

This has tampering written all over it in capital letters.

I hope Mr. Luis was man enough to return his $1000 initial payment.  When coaches jump a contract, or gets fired, someone pays to terminate that contract.  When a player skates on a deal in which he has accepted compensation, I hope he gets penalized in some manner.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

This has tampering written all over it in capital letters.

I hope Mr. Luis was man enough to return his $1000 initial payment.  When coaches jump a contract, or gets fired, someone pays to terminate that contract.  When a player skates on a deal in which he has accepted compensation, I hope he gets penalized in some manner.

I don’t disagree with you at all on that.  But you can’t tell me coaches aren’t working behind the scenes on their next job. 

HoosierPal likes this