Transfers - 2023

ACE

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I hope people don’t actually think we could do better than dandridge this late. 

I don’t think it’s about doing better recruiting wise. I think it’s about giving minutes to freshman or minutes to a decent big. 

20 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I don’t think it’s about doing better recruiting wise. I think it’s about giving minutes to freshman or minutes to a decent big. 

If you don't win this year Ford gets fired and all those freshman enter the transfer portal, though.

2 hours ago, Bilzz said:

If you don't win this year Ford gets fired and all those freshman enter the transfer portal, though.

I agree 

2 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

How about people playing D as a team to earn minutes?

I would like definitely like to see some defense. 

3 hours ago, Bilzz said:

Almost everyone is going to enter the transfer portal almost every year anyway at this point… especially if they aren’t getting minutes.  Damned if we do, damned if we don’t. 

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

Almost everyone is going to enter the transfer portal almost every year anyway at this point… especially if they aren’t getting minutes.  Damned if we do, damned if we don’t. 

Yeah. I think you need to assume spots 10-13 are going to leave every year, but the transfer pool will start to cool next year when they start denying the second time waivers. If Ford gets fired, everyone leaves.

The only downside to Dandridge is if he makes us good enough to buy Ford another year but not good enough to make the NCAA tournament. This cycle has to end after this year. Either finally make the leap or move on. But I'm not sure May, Pestello, Chaifetz, etc have those expectations these days. 

There are still questions at the PG spot. I like the candidates there but they are unproven. And turnovers will likely be more of a problem than prior years. Dandridge takes away some questions in the frontcourt and it'll be a decent frontcourt if the Georgetown kid gets a waiver. I do want the freshmen to get meaningful minutes though. Our wings will be able to score although they may be less efficient without Yuri.

It still all comes down to defense. Nothing we've done this offseason alleviates those concerns. We may be a team that has to play 40 minutes of constantly changing, gimmicky zone defenses every night. 

could you expand on "our wings will be able to score although they may be less efficient without yuri."   

personally since we rarely pushed the action, imo yuri jacked around with the ball till the last few seconds of the shot clock and then when he passed out to the wings, (if at all) they had milliseconds to get off a shot.  i.e. not very efficient from my view.   

now if yuri had truly pushed the action all game long and we had played fast, i would agree with what he could have brought to the table.   that didnt happen much.

MB73 and SLU_Nick like this

18 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The only downside to Dandridge is if he makes us good enough to buy Ford another year but not good enough to make the NCAA tournament. This cycle has to end after this year. Either finally make the leap or move on. But I'm not sure May, Pestello, Chaifetz, etc have those expectations these days. 

There are still questions at the PG spot. I like the candidates there but they are unproven. And turnovers will likely be more of a problem than prior years. Dandridge takes away some questions in the frontcourt and it'll be a decent frontcourt if the Georgetown kid gets a waiver. I do want the freshmen to get meaningful minutes though. Our wings will be able to score although they may be less efficient without Yuri.

It still all comes down to defense. Nothing we've done this offseason alleviates those concerns. We may be a team that has to play 40 minutes of constantly changing, gimmicky zone defenses every night. 

Does it all come down to more than just D or one player, Dandridge? What about the predictability (and lack of effective in-game adjustments) of SLU’s style of play on both ends? Is that why SLU continues to finish no higher than fourth every year in the A10?

22 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

That is definitely a  concern. There tends to be so much focus on Yuri on this board that Gibby's performance in many of our big losses flew a bit below the radar: 2-11 v. Boise State; 1-11 v. SIUE; 1-5 v Fordham; 2-10 v. VCU.  I like Gibby a lot and glad he's back, but he was solely reliant on Yuri to get shots. He can't create his own shot off the dribble. It will be interesting to see how he does without Yuri.

26 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

What we need to hope for, and theres a chance of this, Brad is the starter and MD is the back up. 

4 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Does it all come down to more than just D or one player, Dandridge? What about the predictability (and lack of effective in-game adjustments) of SLU’s style of play on both ends? Is that why SLU continues to finish no higher than fourth every year in the A10?

That is still a concern. I guess I was referring strictly to what the players can bring to the table and not the coaching side of things. The coaching aspect has a lot of question marks. 

VeniceMenace likes this

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

That is definitely a  concern. There tends to be so much focus on Yuri on this board that Gibby's performance in many of our big losses flew a bit below the radar: 2-11 v. Boise State; 1-11 v. SIUE; 1-5 v Fordham; 2-10 v. VCU.  I like Gibby a lot and glad he's back, but he was solely reliant on Yuri to get shots. He can't create his own shot off the dribble. It will be interesting to see how he does without Yuri.

Yes I agree. Gibby really has not shown much of an ability to get a good look at a jumper off the dribble. He is decent at getting to the bucket but doesn't quite have the athleticism and/or strength to finish. There was a stretch I think two seasons ago where he was shooting a crazy amount of free throws. He's going to have to get back to that this season because I'm not sure he's going to get nearly as many good looks at 3 this season unless they come in transition. Parker will be better at getting his own shot but both of them are going to struggle without Yuri. Gibby could still score 15ppg but I would expect lower shooting %'s. 

Yuri had a lot of faults last season but I still think the board in general is underestimating how much easier he made things for other players.

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Yuri had a lot of faults last season but I still think the board in general is underestimating how much easier he made things for other players.

This is not debatable. 

43 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

when he passed out to the wings, (if at all) they had milliseconds to get off a shot.  i.e. not very efficient from my view.   

I just want to note that the above post is about SLU's all time assist leader and a guy who lead the nation in assists last season.

Without Yuri last year we're the same team that got blown out by Northern Iowa in the NIT.  A .500 team at best.  Perkins return to health was supposed to change the math but unfortunately he couldn't return to form.

The hope is that the rebuilt roster has more ability to score off the dribble.  We're not going to win defensive battles with a roster that, on paper, looks even worse than last year's squad.

Zink and slufan13 like this

1 hour ago, ACE said:

you were watching a different game than i was.   i saw jimerson running non stop in the half court game, curling around players playing along with the stupid weave, running back door's,  he even developed some ability to go to the basket off the dribble.  he was hardly "soley reliant" on yuri to get shots.   

56 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you were watching a different game than i was.   i saw jimerson running non stop in the half court game, curling around players playing along with the stupid weave, running back door's,  he even developed some ability to go to the basket off the dribble.  he was hardly "soley reliant" on yuri to get shots.   

One thing I'm really encouraged for next season is the Serbian kid's step back 3.  Saw quite a few of those in his highlight reel.  Now did he make 10%, 15% 25% of those???? Who knows.  That is what will make this season interesting.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Yes, we were watching a different game.  Gibby clearly expanded his game and I thought both him and Yuri did a great job the season Perk was out. He became much better curling and running back doors, but who was he usually receiving the pass from? How often have you seen Gibby create his own shot off the dribble?.... it doesn't mean he's a bad player, it's just not who he is. He is reliant on the PG.

17 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yes, we were watching a different game.  Gibby clearly expanded his game and I thought both him and Yuri did a great job the season Perk was out. He became much better curling and running back doors, but who was he usually receiving the pass from? How often have you seen Gibby create his own shot off the dribble?.... it doesn't mean he's a bad player, it's just not who he is. He is reliant on the PG.

he was driving to the basket a lot more by year end.   he was far from totally reliant on collins to score.  yes, yuri and he teamed up for some nice back door plays with terrific passes from yuri, but there were less of those and more of his drives to the basket by year end.  

58 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

he was driving to the basket a lot more by year end.   he was far from totally reliant on collins to score.  yes, yuri and he teamed up for some nice back door plays with terrific passes from yuri, but there were less of those and more of his drives to the basket by year end.  

I just remember the vast majority of his drives created by a pass. But if he can indeed create his own scoring opportunities off the dribble as you say, then great! I guess we can look forward to more iso plays for him this season.

2 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

One thing I'm really encouraged for next season is the Serbian kid's step back 3.  Saw quite a few of those in his highlight reel.  Now did he make 10%, 15% 25% of those???? Who knows.  That is what will make this season interesting.

Hope like hell I’m wrong, but his highlight reel looked a lot like Ingvi’s did.  Many of Ingvi’s highlights also came from FIBA youth events… I can’t speak to the level of competition in Serbian league vs Icelandic league, however.  Would imagine the Serbian league is a bit superior.