Transfers - 2023

ACE

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, dlarry said:

All practices must be done by 2:30. He has to get to Miss Sherri’s cafe by 330 for dinner. 

Miss the one in Warson Woods. My kids now swim where I used to eat fried fish sandwiches and mostaccioli with my grandma. 

On 4/26/2023 at 10:24 AM, slu72 said:

Is Thames really 6’8”? 

According to Coach Tate on Frank’s show yesterday, Thames is 6’7.

13 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

According to Coach Tate on Frank’s show yesterday, Thames is 6’7.

The Tulsa transfer would be a good get, he was on fire scoring last third of season.

LHJ and Thames are big keys to future success with their versatility and quick hands on D. Brings back great memories of local pairings that elevated the program like Douglas/Gray & Highmark/Claggett. Good times.

AGB91 likes this

There is an interesting article in the Athletic, subscription required, that talks about the new NCAA rules on 2nd, 3rd or 4th transfers by a given player. The states rule is that the athlete needs to show one of these three issues to transfer without sitting out a year. 

The NCAA eliminated the NPO (No longer had a Participation Opportunity -get your previous school to say they ran you off) last summer. Now, a waiver request must meet one of three criteria: mental health, exigent circumstances outside the student’s control (such as “physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class”) or assertions involving diagnosed education-impacting disabilities. 

(If you have graduated, you can transfer with no penalty.)

The avenue discussed in the article was ‘mental health’ and the dangers of the NCAA simply signing off on any request that checks Mental Health. Yes there are serious cases, such as with our TJ Hargrove.  The NCAA has created a tightrope that they will be walking on as they evaluate cases. They can’t dismiss the issue nor can they simply grant every request at the risk of minimizing those with true issues. Two Oklahoma State players, Moussa Cisse and Woody Newton were listed as two whom will be on their second transfer and have not graduated (there are many others in this category.)  The OSU coach, Mike Boynton was quoted "They think that they'll figure it out.  They'll get enough sympathy publicly by some sob story coming out in the press and somebody latching onto it on social media that they'll be viewed as a victim somehow and that'll all be taken care of."

This adds another layer of complexity to the portal issue.  Can/Would Ford and Staff offer a player we need a scholarship who is in this category, not knowing if the player would be eligible next season?

Who wants to take “easy out for $200” that the NCAA simply whitewashes this and passes out waivers on request? 

For those with a subscription, here is the article.

https://theathletic.com/4450771/2023/04/26/college-basketball-transfers-ncaa-waiver/?utm_source=fieldof68.beehiiv.com&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=star-hunter

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Amazing that in the month and a half since the end of the season, Thames has grown 2 inches and added 20 lbs of muscle. I’d say he’s wasting his time on college basketball. Market that workout program. 

Heights were not updated on the SLU roster since the late summer, 2022. 

slufanskip likes this

3 hours ago, Marlow said:

I’d love to see Thames get significant playing time, but I don’t see Ford going in that direction.

I hope he is allowed to compete for significant playing time and given it, if he deserves it. If Ford is operating any other way, he should and will be fired.

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

There is an interesting article in the Athletic, subscription required, that talks about the new NCAA rules on 2nd, 3rd or 4th transfers by a given player. The states rule is that the athlete needs to show one of these three issues to transfer without sitting out a year. 

The NCAA eliminated the NPO (No longer had a Participation Opportunity -get your previous school to say they ran you off) last summer. Now, a waiver request must meet one of three criteria: mental health, exigent circumstances outside the student’s control (such as “physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class”) or assertions involving diagnosed education-impacting disabilities. 

(If you have graduated, you can transfer with no penalty.)

The avenue discussed in the article was ‘mental health’ and the dangers of the NCAA simply signing off on any request that checks Mental Health. Yes there are serious cases, such as with our TJ Hargrove.  The NCAA has created a tightrope that they will be walking on as they evaluate cases. They can’t dismiss the issue nor can they simply grant every request at the risk of minimizing those with true issues. Two Oklahoma State players, Moussa Cisse and Woody Newton were listed as two whom will be on their second transfer and have not graduated (there are many others in this category.)  The OSU coach, Mike Boynton was quoted "They think that they'll figure it out.  They'll get enough sympathy publicly by some sob story coming out in the press and somebody latching onto it on social media that they'll be viewed as a victim somehow and that'll all be taken care of."

This adds another layer of complexity to the portal issue.  Can/Would Ford and Staff offer a player we need a scholarship who is in this category, not knowing if the player would be eligible next season?

Who wants to take “easy out for $200” that the NCAA simply whitewashes this and passes out waivers on request? 

For those with a subscription, here is the article.

https://theathletic.com/4450771/2023/04/26/college-basketball-transfers-ncaa-waiver/?utm_source=fieldof68.beehiiv.com&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=star-hunter

No way I’m betting against the NCAA taking the easy way out with a whitewash and an easy passing out of waivers on request.  It will probably make them so mad at the P5 schools benefiting from this that they’ll go looking for some small schools to punish for something minor, to paraphrase Jerry Tarkanian…

if i got recruited to be a combo guard and i believed i was as good or better than others that are playing ahead of me and you as the coach tried to switch me to power forward where i would likely be struggling to match up with opponents, i might be a little disappointed, maybe just downright upset.   

not saying that is the case, but a sacrifice like this might be a after college difference maker and likely for the worse not better.   that's a lot for a young man to accept.  

33 minutes ago, willie said:

You are also talking about a player who could not get off the bench. Seems to me if an opportunity to play opened up I would grab it. 

up until he got injured, he had played as much as young hughes.    seems like the season worked out great for hughes.   

from my view thames shouldnt have sat as much as he did.  you obviously didnt see him play in high school did you?

51 minutes ago, willie said:

I understand that but we currently have a huge hole at the 4. Plenty of wings and no 4's. 

So what is your definition of a 4? 

Mine would be a "tall" guy that can defend the paint (if needed through match-ups) and defend outside the paint, can rebound and and shoot the three as well as finish at the rim?  Pretty much a well rounded basketball player.

I'd venture that more than half the A10 teams play 4 out, 1 in. 

53 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if i got recruited to be a combo guard and i believed i was as good or better than others that are playing ahead of me and you as the coach tried to switch me to power forward where i would likely be struggling to match up with opponents, i might be a little disappointed, maybe just downright upset.   

not saying that is the case, but a sacrifice like this might be a after college difference maker and likely for the worse not better.   that's a lot for a young man to accept.  

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So what is your definition of a 4? 

Mine would be a "tall" guy that can defend the paint (if needed through match-ups) and defend outside the paint, can rebound and and shoot the three as well as finish at the rim?  Pretty much a well rounded basketball player.

I'd venture that more than half the A10 teams play 4 out, 1 in. 

I agree with your description. I don't know if Thames can play the 4 or not but at 6-7"  he is currently our second tallest player. Seems relatively built with ball handling skills. Ford may bring in a bunch of bigs to make this discussion mute. As I started this with a question to Coach why can't he play the 4. Broy hasn't convinced me he can't. 

50 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1651989543267053573?t=NpC85-rmoCwFoM57Lr5Zzg&s=19

JBJ is in the portal. Finish what you started big man!

Return of “The Locomotive”?