Very Interesting...

Schasz

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been times recently where I've feared Ford got another contract extension in the past 1-2 years that we don't know about. It would have been a terrible extension but Ford knows how to play the game.

Ford has to embrace the portal and NIL this off-season. He shouldn't be looking for guys to fill out the rotation for next year like he has in years past. He should be looking for the top players even if he feels he already has a set starting lineup

13 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

There have been times recently where I've feared Ford got another contract extension in the past 1-2 years that we don't know about. It would have been a terrible extension but Ford knows how to play the game.

Ford has to embrace the portal and NIL this off-season. He shouldn't be looking for guys to fill out the rotation for next year like he has in years past. He should be looking for the top players even if he feels he already has a set starting lineup

This year will definitely be different. In prior years, the core of the roster was pretty set and he mainly only had roles to fill off the bench. Now, he will potentially be shopping for a whole new starting lineup with the promise of a lot of playing time available to offer experienced players. A big challenge, but also a big opportunity.

38 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

7 interviews!!!?!!  Is interviewing for the CEO position? Why TF would you need 7 interviews to hire for what is probably an entry level position?  If I'm Fred, I'm done being jerked around there if they haven't offered a job at this point.  The labor market is super tight right now, so I'm sure he has plenty of other options.

There was no mention of what an 'interview' entailed.  Was a call, a zoom, face to face meeting, dinner separate interviews?  There are a number of SLU Alums/Athletes in the management chain at WWT. Perhaps they wanted to be seen with Mr. Thatch at a prominent local restaurant.  And I trust that if Mr. Thatch was not impressed with the process, he would have pulled the plug.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

There was no mention of what an 'interview' entailed.  Was a call, a zoom, face to face meeting, dinner separate interviews?  There are a number of SLU Alums/Athletes in the management chain at WWT. Perhaps they wanted to be seen with Mr. Thatch at a prominent local restaurant.  And I trust that if Mr. Thatch was not impressed with the process, he would have pulled the plug.

Yeah, without any context it's hard to know what that means. Perhaps Fred initiated some of the extra meetings himself with questions or wanting clarifications.

52 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I want Ford to stay if only for the Joy I’ll get knowing how many posters it has pissed off. 

If your joy comes from MBM's getting upset and not from winning games, well at least you know what you like. 

Schasz likes this

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I forgot about Greg Marshall....I wonder if he's learned his lesson on player treatment. That dude wins.

Interesting that you mentioned Greg Marshall as his name was brought up as a possible HC at Western Kentucky along with Travis Ford. Wouldn't that fry some of the folks on here who have a deep love affair with Ford...we don't have to fire him...he dumps SLU!

5 minutes ago, Marlow said:

I agree. But Ramey wasn’t going any where near a team that had Gordon.

What does Gordon have to do with Ramey, there would be no overlap and years between.  And there was a rumor not sure how accurate that had Yuri not returned, there was a real chance Ramey was coming. 

9 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Interesting that you mentioned Greg Marshall as his name was brought up as a possible HC at Western Kentucky along with Travis Ford. Wouldn't that fry some of the folks on here who have a deep love affair with Ford...we don't have to fire him...he dumps SLU!

Nobody on here has expressed a deep love affair for Ford. Quit lying. 

8 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Not many Ford lovers here that I can see.  That would be extremely amusing to see Ford jump to Western Kentucky.  It's as likely as him jumping to Kentucky.  

Just now, Billiken Rich said:

Not many Ford lovers here that I can see.  That would be extremely amusing to see Ford jump to Western Kentucky.  It's as likely as him jumping to Kentucky.  

Not advocating for or against the coach, but he would be a great hire for New Mexico State. They need someone to stabilize the program after the mess of this year.

Ford's not going anywhere.  He'll be SLU's coach next year. 

The way the NCAA has stacked everything against the mid-majors ....... from the NET system, to the transfer portal, to the way Power 5 schools can avoid Mid-Majors that they don't want to play (except at home or on a neutral court) ...... getting a couple of bids a decade to the DANCE is the definition of a successful Mid-Major coach.  I think the NCAA Tournament has been devalued in the eyes of many TV viewers.  I much rather see more a half dozen more Mid-Majors in the Tournament rather than watching 7th, 8th and 9th place teams from the SEC, Big 10, ACC, etc.  It brings much more excitement to the average fan IMO.

ACE and dlarry like this

This will really be the most interesting off-season we've had in a long time. If you can land some top players in the portal, we can have a decent season. I actually think we would be very mediocre next year if we don't. 

This off-season may define the Travis Fourth era.

Bizziken likes this

10 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Ford's not going anywhere.  He'll be SLU's coach next year. 

The way the NCAA has stacked everything against the mid-majors ....... from the NET system, to the transfer portal, to the way Power 5 schools can avoid Mid-Majors that they don't want to play (except at home or on a neutral court) ...... getting a couple of bids a decade to the DANCE is the definition of a successful Mid-Major coach.  I think the NCAA Tournament has been devalued in the eyes of many TV viewers.  I much rather see more a half dozen more Mid-Majors in the Tournament rather than watching 7th, 8th and 9th place teams from the SEC, Big 10, ACC, etc.  It brings much more excitement to the average fan IMO.

I agree he'll be here.   All the above is why SLU continued to blow 2nd half leads vs SIUE et al.  All the weight of the man coming down on them undermined our defense.  Also tournament sucks now didn't really want to go anyways. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

If I know one thing, it’s that Ford is an all time exaggerator/bullsh*****.   I’d be shocked if Fred has had 7 interviews for one position. 

laker119 likes this

Just now, slufan13 said:

Actually it is good that May had to do this it shows people at the school at least have heard some concerns about Ford.  When the AD has to give a vote of confidence that means the idea is out there and they hear it.  Until now May never had to publicly address it. 

VeniceMenace likes this

13 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I agree he'll be here.   All the above is why SLU continued to blow 2nd half leads vs SIUE et al.  All the weight of the man coming down on them undermined our defense.  Also tournament sucks now didn't really want to go anyways. 

Yes, Ford shares the blame for those embarrassing losses, but so do the players.  What this team has in talent, they lack in player leadership IMO.  A Conlon, Goodwin, Jett type leader on this team would have made a couple of those embarrassing loses ..... wins. 

Ford and staff must, just have to, recruit a couple of talented, vocal leaders for the team to bring team success.

Billikenbooster likes this

2 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Yes, Ford shares the blame for those embarrassing losses, but so do the players.  What this team has in talent, they lack in player leadership IMO.  A Conlon, Goodwin, Jett type leader on this team would have made a couple of those embarrassing loses ..... wins. 

I agree that's why I was pining for C. Ramey in another thread.  25 years and the chemistry just hasn't been right. Who's the common denominator?

As to the AD vote of confidence in CTF today that's the beginning.  You don't have to do it unless there's mounting pressure.

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Actually it is good that May had to do this it shows people at the school at least have heard some concerns about Ford.  When the AD has to give a vote of confidence that means the idea is out there and they hear it.  Until now May never had to publicly address it. 

Never thought about it this way, but you’re right in that this is certainly the more positive way to look at it.  Although, as @gobillsgosaid, I would like to think they actually had some more serious conversations internally and this wasn’t the first time he had ever broached the subject. 

14 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Ford and staff must, just have to, recruit a couple of talented, vocal leaders for the team to bring team success.

we are constantly told yuri is that guy.   

SLU_Nick likes this