Very Interesting...

Schasz

19 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I know it’s a popular narrative to say the Billikens play a slow paced game but the facts don’t bare it out. SLU is 34th in the nation and first in the A10 in fast break points…

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/1285

for the first half and probably about half the second half they do.   then it seems at the 10 - 5 minute left mark it slows down and we start using the clock.   apparently the first 3/4 of the game is enough to give us those wonderful stats.   but it is pretty obvious that we do not play "40 minutes of hell"   and we definitely dont play the corresponding all out defense that the likes of arkansas or unlv played back in their days of national championships.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

My not so bold prediction: Ford is going to stay.  He'll get some portal players and other recruits.  We'll convince ourselves these guys will be good.  He'll win 18-19 games next year and be 4th or 5th in A10.  He'll be fired. 

I'm hopeful a Mack, Marshall or Kelsey is available next year.   If not I'll just be happy to try something else but reserve the right to complain as a fan.

Like it or not, Ford was never in danger of losing his job. Highly unlikely he loses his job next year. Complain on.

slufanskip and gabriel like this

I'd just be interested in May/Pestello/Chaifetz etc to re-state their expectations and goals for the program. I assume the goal is still a top 50 program since we haven't heard otherwise but we haven't been that since 2014. May's comments about always being competitive are what's concerning to me

TheChosenOne and Adman like this

1 hour ago, DOC said:

Like it or not, Ford was never in danger of losing his job. Highly unlikely he loses his job next year. Complain on.

And I look forward to the new excuses next year. 

I'll help out:

Rebuilding because we had so many starters no one wanted to come here and develop riding the pine in games.

Refs

NET/system is biased

X player got hurt

X player isn't playing up to expectations and the coach doesn't make shots.

X player wasn't as good as we thought

Complaining MBMs hurt recruiting 

It's not the coach or team it's you, you expected too much

This team is so much better than when i was in school (nevermind we played/practiced in West Pine Gym and went up against basketball powerhouses)

That should be enough to get ya'll started. Feel free to add or make variations as you see fit. 

I think my favorite, maybe not excuse but just outright self delusion, is the Tournament isn't what it used to be with the implication that it mattered less if you weren't involved.  That wasn't a common 1 but it was peak delusion.

Bizziken likes this

10 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

The merging of buying a coach, NIL and the transfer portal has finally been achieved. All who are interested better have cash to burn…

So do we ‘low ball’?  $1 million per year for the package?  
Complementary degrees for the players? Free beer at Humphrey’s for all players?

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I know it’s a popular narrative to say the Billikens play a slow paced game but the facts don’t bare it out. SLU is 34th in the nation and first in the A10 in fast break points…

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/1285

It is the trope of the uninformed MBM.  We are 2nd in the A-10 in scoring and 34th in fast break points, but if we are not sprinting up the court on every possession like Michael Jackson during a Pepsi commercial, our offense is failing.

majerus mojo likes this

47 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'll help out:

Rebuilding because we had so many starters no one wanted to come here and develop riding the pine in games.

Refs

NET/system is biased

X player got hurt

This team is so much better than when i was in school (nevermind we played/practiced in West Pine Gym and went up against basketball powerhouses)

That should be enough to get ya'll started. Feel free to add or make variations as you see fit. 

I think my favorite, maybe not excuse but just outright self delusion, is the Tournament isn't what it used to be with the implication that it mattered less if you weren't involved.  That wasn't a common 1 but it was peak delusion.

Didn't mean to trigger you into this long-winded complaint about you not knowing what you're talking about. Carry on.

10 minutes ago, DOC said:

Sharp and Black would have to sit a year. And yes, I know you can appeal, but who knows how those are going to go.

A players best chance to be given a waiver is if the coach leaves.  Technically I think this falls under that even though it seems wrong. 

9 minutes ago, DOC said:

Didn't mean to trigger you into this long-winded complaint about you not knowing what you're talking about. Carry on.

What is it specifically that I don't know?

Lay your knowledge on me DOC.

15 minutes ago, DOC said:

Sharp and Black would have to sit a year. And yes, I know you can appeal, but who knows how those are going to go.

Sharp doesn't have any eligibility left unless he gets some special kind of waiver from the NCAA.  He was hurt last season at MO St., but he played after the midway point of the season.  That means he cant get a medical waiver.

Hampton is from St. Louis.  He played at U City and then went to Link Prep.

20 minutes ago, DOC said:

I dunno. He’s on point. SLU is the undisputed national champion of excuse making.

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

If you want them, show them the money

They aren't worth that much.  There is a nice story with Black, Sharp and Haney all following their assistant coach from MO State when he took the head job at Northwestern St. and becoming the top three scorers playing in about two hours for a NCAA bid, but Sharp is the only guy who would have got minutes at SLU this season and that would have been as Yuri's back up.  He would have fixed our back up PG problem this season, but he isn't really the answer at this level as your starting point guard.  He would have been an outstanding guy getting 15-20 mpg.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'll help out:

Refs

NET/system is biased

X player got hurt

Since you have identified yourself as one who knows the future can you go ahead and tell us the complete roster and our won/lost record next year? Also, wondering if some on this board actually enjoy basketball?  Never seen such depth of misery in something that is an optional activity. 

BIG BILL FAN and almaman like this

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

They aren't worth that much.  There is a nice story with Black, Sharp and Haney all following their assistant coach from MO State when he took the head job at Northwestern St. and becoming the top three scorers playing in about two hours for a NCAA bid, but Sharp is the only guy who would have got minutes at SLU this season and that would have been as Yuri's back up.  He would have fixed our back up PG problem this season, but he isn't really the answer at this level as your starting point guard.  He would have been an outstanding guy getting 15-20 mpg.

Agreed, didn’t say I’d want them. I think whoever is thinking about getting them better have a money back guarantee from them. Good luck to them with that.

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

Agreed, didn’t say I’d want them. I think whoever is thinking about getting them better have a money back guarantee from them. Good luck to them with that.

I think Gipson probably has a pretty good future ahead of him as a coach.  He took over a team that was 330th last season in Pomeroy and has them on the verge of the NCAA tournament not even 365 days later.  They beat TCU at TCU this season.  That is impressive.  Plus the sales job he had to do on those kids to get them to follow him from Springfield to Natchitoches is something.  

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think Gipson probably has a pretty good future ahead of him as a coach.  He took over a team that was 330th last season in Pomeroy and has them on the verge of the NCAA tournament not even 365 days later.  They beat TCU at TCU this season.  That is impressive.  Plus the sales job he had to do on those kids to get them to follow him from Springfield to Natchitoches is something.  

Took a team most have never even heard of and are ahead of Umass, Lasalle, and Loyola. Could even surpass Gdub. Heck of a job