Coaching Carousel-2023

24 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I would think if these boosters are really going to come up with the buyout $$’s they must have be in contact with a sure thing HC. That buyout is some serious $$’s so why risk it on a supposed hot up and comer, and he turns out to be a Brian Gregory or a Tom Crean. You’d only risk it on a sure bet proven winner, like a Majerus or a Pitino. What HC’s are out there that compare to Majerus and Pitino? I rather doubt they’re going to come up with the big $$’s it would take to lure away a currently employed big name winner. So, I’d guess they would be looking to lock up a currently unemployed winner, like a Chris Mack. I have no idea who they might be looking at, but to just can Ford and go for some hot unproven guy really makes no sense. 

Which is why I’m thinking all of this talk is just that at this point: talk. At the very least it puts Travis (and May) on notice. 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Which is why I’m thinking all of this talk is just that at this point: talk. At the very least it puts Travis (and May) on notice. 

I agree, plus, is whoever they had lined up going to sit around forever and wait for the SLU job, or are they going to find another one? Plenty of openings right now…

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I read an article on Few a few years back. He’s been offered by P5 schools but said money wasn’t much of a factor in staying at Zaga. He likes his life in Tacoma and is very comfortable. Money isn’t everything. 

That's quite a commute

3 hours ago, ACE said:

I'm always amused this time of year how a coach can pull off one upset in the tournament and then get a new job.

For the Iona's of the world trying to catch a future superstar coach on the way up seems like a not unreasonable strategy. It's certainly a gamble, but I don't think they'll scare up another Pitino anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I doubt these supposed boosters are able to buy out Ford right now and it's probably for the best. Buying out a coach is fine and all but you also better have a pretty darn good plan in place (like a replacement lined up??) the minute that coach is terminated. That could very well be the case here but it's not the impression I'm getting.

Instead of:

1A) Buyout current coach 1B) have new coach ready to sign on the dotted line 

It seems to be:

1) Buy out current coach 2) Look for a replacement

Sounds like a few of Courtside's friends had a few scotch whiskeys and started spitballin'....

Lol, nope. This isn’t a Quinta Brunson bit where her boyfriend buys her the large popcorn at the movies. (“Some” of my, “spitballin’ and scotch whiskey” friends, aren’t random dudes.) Frank knows some (not all) of them. It’s why he made the video. 

Real thing. Real people. Real money. It may or may not happen. But that would be more about different groups, with different opinions, unable to come together. 

I think it's more likely courtside talked to some boosters who have been approached about contributing towards the buyout and/or talked to someone who has a connection to a potential replacement. This isn't a situation where people are just making something up. It may not happen if they can't get it over the finish line but you can't look at this situation and say that the wheels aren't at least turning 

If we were to decide to revamp the program with a new coach we shouldn't just jump to who is available. We want to decide on an identity and bring in a coach that can recruit, develop, and coach that identity. If we want to continue to sign local players, having a style palpable to the local basketball culture is important.

I have been away from the StL prep scene for awhile so I don't know what that style is. Is it a two-way game where offense and defense are equally strong. Tatum and Carawell did well in that style with Coach K. Are local preps thriving with another style now? Either way, the next coach needs to be part of a long term vision to revamp the program. If that coach isn't available now, we wait and go forward with Ford until he is. But we don't extend Ford in the meantime.

33 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I think it's more likely courtside talked to some boosters who have been approached about contributing towards the buyout and/or talked to someone who has a connection to a potential replacement. This isn't a situation where people are just making something up. It may not happen if they can't get it over the finish line but you can't look at this situation and say that the wheels aren't at least turning 

Agree, but that is quite different than what Courtside said in his initial post: that, per these boosters, "Travis Ford is out as SLU's coach". Apologies, Courtside, I did not mean to imply these people (your friends) aren't real people with real money. I just doubt this process is as far long as some may think or as far along as some may be claiming. Fully expect Ford back next season but if they can pull this off and land a home run replacement then bring it! But it would be nice to end this speculation ASAP so we can get back to focusing on getting entirely too excited over 20 year old men in the transfer portal...

22 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Agree, but that is quite different than what Courtside said in his initial post: that, per these boosters, "Travis Ford is out as SLU's coach". Apologies, Courtside, I did not mean to imply these people (your friends) aren't real people with real money. I just doubt this process is as far long as some may think or as far along as some may be claiming. Fully expect Ford back next season but if they can pull this off and land a home run replacement then bring it! But it would be nice to end this speculation ASAP so we can get back to focusing on getting entirely too excited over 20 year old men in the transfer portal...

22 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

“Travis Ford is out as SLU coach” is not an opinion. It was a statement that was somewhat believable because of the number of sources mentioned. But now we’re being told its just an opinion from one group, but there are several groups and it may or may not happen. 

8 minutes ago, DOC said:

“Travis Ford is out as SLU coach” is not an opinion. It was a statement that was somewhat believable because of the number of sources mentioned. But now we’re being told its just an opinion from one group, but there are several groups and it may or may not happen. 

Yep

Perhaps email campaign can help put this over the finish line.   I'll email Pesty and May when I get back to my computer.  That'll for sure seal the deal. 

But my wild speculation is Providence opening has Mack leveraging bigger contract.  Again just wild speculation. Ahearn fall back option.

10 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Perhaps email campaign can help put this over the finish line.   I'll email Pesty and May when I get back to my computer.  That'll for sure seal the deal. 

But my wild speculation is Providence opening has Mack leveraging bigger contract.  Again just wild speculation. Ahearn fall back option.

-Frank loves Ahearn so IF Blake is the choice presents an interesting scenario for Frank

8 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-Frank loves Ahearn so IF Blake is the choice presents an interesting scenario for Frank

I don't want Blake, but I want to see this happen. Esp if its one of those weird situations where a coach is being linked but the current coach is still there.  

21 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I’ll take Mack in a heartbeat. I’ve been asking for him since December.  Proven winner and program builder at our level. Don’t know enough about Ahearn to say either way.  

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I also think it will force Ford to make some changes to his staff. If nothing changes in how the program runs then it will be a wasted year. 

34 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I don't think Mack is an option this year.  

"Here's the thing: When this time of year comes around and all the agents are doing all the back-channeling and putting your name out, I just decided that this cycle is not right for the timing of family. ... I am sort of a volleyball dad," Mack told Field of 68. "We are moving to Florida here in a few months. I haven't even inquired about any jobs. I have been flattered that there are several who have reached out to my agent. At this point, I am never going to say never, but not this coming year. This time of year gets your juices flowing, and I miss it. But for this coming year, it's not something that is going to be in the cards for me." 

https://247sports.com/Article/Ex-Louisville-basketball-head-coach-Chris-Mack-says-he-wont-return-to-coaching-in-2023-cycle--206674841/

15 minutes ago, Billfan7 said:

I don't think Mack is an option this year.  

"Here's the thing: When this time of year comes around and all the agents are doing all the back-channeling and putting your name out, I just decided that this cycle is not right for the timing of family. ... I am sort of a volleyball dad," Mack told Field of 68. "We are moving to Florida here in a few months. I haven't even inquired about any jobs. I have been flattered that there are several who have reached out to my agent. At this point, I am never going to say never, but not this coming year. This time of year gets your juices flowing, and I miss it. But for this coming year, it's not something that is going to be in the cards for me." 

https://247sports.com/Article/Ex-Louisville-basketball-head-coach-Chris-Mack-says-he-wont-return-to-coaching-in-2023-cycle--206674841/

Coachspeak.  Bet he’d coach in the right situation for the right $. 

9 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Coachspeak.  Bet he’d coach in the right situation for the right $. 

10000000%.  Blossom did the same thing - but hs level. Wanted to be a VB dad and quickly got back in. ( joking about to comp)

35 minutes ago, Marlow said:

I don’t think SLU needs a retread. Cream, Mack, Turgeon,.M. Anderson etc. etc. have had their chance.  Often they struggle with one or more of the coaching ingredients. 

Normally I’d agree, but Mack isn’t your usual retread. Made tourney 8 of 9 years at X.  Fired at Louisville for recording an assistant coach, not for lack of results.  I think he’d be very successful here. 

3 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Normally I’d agree, but Mack isn’t your usual retread. Made tourney 8 of 9 years at X.  Fired at Louisville for recording an assistant coach, not for lack of results.  I think he’d be very successful here. 

Mack would be a home run hire. No doot aboot it.