Coaching Carousel-2023

5 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Nope...the Stanford player I was thinking about was actually Mike Montgomery. Stanford was ranked high that year too! That was a big upset for the Zags but they had several players who were deadly from 3 point land!

Mike Montgomery was a Stanford Coach.

Mark Madsen was the Stanford player.  Video of his NCAA Tourney exploits as a player was shown last night in his team's NIT game.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

The attendance numbers for this season won't come out until after the Final Four, but last season the MWC averaged 6,203 people per game.  The A10 averaged 4,313 per game.

The Mountain West contains a number of big public, football playing schools that draw well, like New Mexico and San Diego State, and those that used to draw well like UNLV and Fresno State, interspersed with San Jose State, whose biggest MWC game attendance was 3,371.

That A10 attendance average is skewed by Fordham's Rose Hill Gym capacity being limited this season by the fire marshall to 1,800.  With Fordham in its resurrection season, Fordham would have sold out the otherwise 3,200 seat gym a number of times.  Fordham takes a lot of ribbing on this board.  However, the attendance at the two (2) 2023 A10 Tourney sessions in which Fordham played was 8,595 and 10,156.  I was at both, and the vast majority of those crowds were Fordham fans.  The Saturday semi-finals resulted in a first for me, the first time the curtain in part of the upper deck, about 4 sections, at Barclays Center was removed.  No one sat up there, but that was a reminder that a bigger than usual crowd was at least game planned.

1 hour ago, TRN said:

That’s a wise career choice.  Cal is the doormat of that conference and athletics aren’t highly supported in Berkeley like other schools.  Why leave a job where you’re top 25 annually and in the tournament, for a place difficult to get players admitted and limited backing.

Cal will probably hire a retread, an assistant, or smaller level coach.  Maybe they’ll take Cuonzo back.

edit. Seeing the Mark Masden info and kept thinking about his LA Lakers championship parade dance moves…dangerous…

43 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

edit. Seeing the Mark Masden info and kept thinking about his LA Lakers championship parade dance moves…dangerous…

The Mad Dog is a good hire for the Golden Bears.  The Old Blues will be behind him, as long as he doesn't slip and wear any Stanford Red.  "Take off that Red shirt!"

37 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

USF ( sorry Bay Area , South Florida) hiring Kennesaw State Coach.

That's South Florida, the copycat USF, including the same colors, although I think the Florida version may have received the trademark, would need to check that.

When we hear USF out here, it's the Dons, the team of Bill Russell, K.C. Jones, Jumping Joe Ellis, Phil Smith, Kevin Restani, Snake Jones, Bill Cartwright, James Hardy, Winfred Boynes, Chubby Cox, Quintin Dailey, Wallace Bryant.  However, sometimes the nomenclature is USF (CA).

As you can probably tell, if I had a second team, the USF Dons would be it.

However, to paraphrase the sign at Yankee Stadium:  A Billiken fan has no second team.

Our oldest graduated from UCF ans USF is their main rival ... Football game is called The War on I-4...

Don't know what will happen now that UCF is going to the Big 12, would like to see USF get an invite but will see.  Both are huge schools

3 hours ago, Brighton said:

VCU just got better. No excuse making, just went out and did what’s best for the program.

Time will tell about this claim.

Odom is believed to have his eyes on the ACC, where his Dad coached, and/or other Power 5.  Like other VCU Coaches, he likely sees VCU as a stepping stone.  How long he is actually there remains to be seen.

But VCU does have interesting buyout clause language for its coaches, requiring the school that poaches its coach (i.e. Penn State with Rhoades) to play a home and home with VCU.

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Odom is believed to have his eyes on the ACC, where his Dad coached, and/or other Power 5.  Like other VCU Coaches, he likely sees VCU as a stepping stone.  How long he is actually there remains to be seen.

But VCU does have interesting buyout clause language for its coaches, requiring the school that poaches its coach (i.e. Penn State with Rhoades) to play a home and home with VCU.

That is a clever little thing in the buyout clause

4 hours ago, Brighton said:

VCU just got better. No excuse making, just went out and did what’s best for the program.

Yes they absolutely improved.

But they also have the golden horseshoe still lodged in their rectum. Someone wanted to hire Mike Rhoades? That dude is about as "meh" as they come. Mediocre at VCU. Didn't do anything at Rice. How does this guy keep mediocring upwards? 

54 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

11 NCAA appearances in the last 15 years… I wish some coaches would start using us as a stepping stone. 

Edit:  and to provide some context, the four years they didn’t make the NCAA:

CBI Champions

NIT second round

covid (no postseason)

only one year with no postseason whatsoever.  Talk about being competitive

19 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

11 NCAA appearances in the last 15 years… I wish some coaches would start using us as a stepping stone. 

CBI Champions

NIT second round

covid (no postseason)

VCU has had and lost 4 coaches since that prestigious CBI Championship in ‘10- Anthony Grant, Shaka Smart, Will Wade, Mike Rhoades. That VCU “Havoc” (Gimmick aka Fouls) is true Hoops poetry in motion, veritable Baryshnikov’s on the hardwood. 

We’ll see if Dave Odom’s son continues this aesthetic beauty, or brings his 180 degree different system with him to the successor of the Richmond Professional Institute. 

Free Sonny Smith.

almaman likes this

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

CBI Champions

NIT second round

covid (no postseason)

I'd like to see how many of those NCAA appearances VCU would have garnered if the zebras in the East Coast Bus League with its Southern Spur actually called the fouls, as specified in the Basketball Rules, like the refs surprisingly did to VCU in shorting its "Havoc" (Gimmick, aka Fouls) vs. St. Mary's in the NCAA Tourney in Albany.  In the Bus League, it seems the refs are more interested in hailing their ride shares to catch their departing flights out of town.

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I'd like to see how many of those NCAA appearances VCU would have garnered if the zebras in the East Coast Bus League with its Southern Spur actually called the fouls, as specified in the Basketball Rules, like the refs surprisingly did to VCU in shorting its "Havoc" (Gimmick, aka Fouls) vs. St. Mary's in the NCAA Tourney in Albany.  In the Bus League, it seems the refs are more interested in hailing their ride shares to catch their departing flights out of town.

Speaking of gimmicks...