GDT: you know what rhymes with Rhode Island?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

That game was almost as tough to watch as the halftime baseball team dance sequence.  Mental lapses, no movement, “hero ball” in crunch time.  Also, the basketball was really bad.

I thought they did a nice job for baseball players.

thunderdan and billiken_roy like this

9 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I heard the boos as well, after he bricked a heavily contested long 2. You know it’s bad when the usually tame SLU fans are booing the guy that just broke the A10 record for assists.

People were booing Yuri? 
That is a major Yikes.  

And before someone says, oh that was just a couple of drunk idiots, fine.  Has any other SLU player been booed at home prior to the Ford era?  

17 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

I thought they did a nice job for baseball players.

all i know is that each and everyone of the baseball players ended the routine with an outstanding looker on his arm.   win.

30 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

People were booing Yuri? 
That is a major Yikes.  

And before someone says, oh that was just a couple of drunk idiots, fine.  Has any other SLU player been booed at home prior to the Ford era?  

I didn't hear them booing Yuri but then again you don't always hear everything clearly in an arena.  What did hear was people clapping when TJH replaced Pickett.

willie likes this

41 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

People were booing Yuri? 
That is a major Yikes.  

heard booing but the timing of it felt more like everyone get it together than at one certain player. 

44 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

People were booing Yuri? 
That is a major Yikes.  

It certainly wasn’t a majority but there were enough for it to catch my attention. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

heard booing but the timing of it felt more like everyone get it together than at one certain player. 

I could see that but I took it to be directed at Yuri because he took a really bad shot after a couple bad possessions. Especially after what happened at the end of Fridays game.

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I clearly heard the booing and it could be interpreted as being directed at either Yuri or the team for the multiple empty possessions.

1 minute ago, juniorbill76 said:

I clearly heard the booing and it could be interpreted as being directed at either Yuri or the team for the multiple empty possessions.

who knows, maybe the booing did more for the team than Fords coaching .

slight joke

1 minute ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

It certainly wasn’t a majority but there were enough for it to catch my attention. 

I could see that but I took it to be directed at Yuri because he took a really bad shot after a couple bad possessions. Especially after what happened at the end of Fridays game.

That’s how I took it too. It was the 3rd bad decision in a row made by Yuri and the crowd was not harpy.

I’m sure some of it was directed at the team in general but Yuri’s poor decision making put the fans over the top.

16 hours ago, Soderball said:

If you give me 20 points I'll take that bet.

I don't like the money line vs a better Dayton team, especially on the road.

We survived against RI though. That's good, I guess. NIT here we come.

Little bit of hyperbole in my 20 point prediction. That said I would take Dayton at -13.

One thing is for sure neither team is going to “win” this game but one of the teams will most certainly “lose” it. 

It’s going to be like watching two punch drunk boxers in their mid 40s trying to get one more payday. 

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

That’s how I took it too. It was the 3rd bad decision in a row made by Yuri and the crowd was not harpy.

I’m sure some of it was directed at the team in general but Yuri’s poor decision making put the fans over the top.

Totally agree. And, it was almost like the boos accidentally slipped out.

The fans in attendance saw the team (specifically, Yuri) giving the game away to a bad team, and the boos were almost instinctive.

They quieted down fairly quickly (booing college players is fairly uncommon), but it was definitely there. 

3 minutes ago, thunderdan said:

Totally agree. And, it was almost like the boos accidentally slipped out.

The fans in attendance saw the team (specifically, Yuri) giving the game away to a bad team, and the boos were almost instinctive.

They quieted down fairly quickly (booing college players is fairly uncommon), but it was definitely there. 

I agree. The boos were at the team in general (yikes... here we go again giving up a late lead,) and they were brought on specifically on Yuri's inbounds pass/turnover. 

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I didn't hear them booing Yuri but then again you don't always hear everything clearly in an arena.  What did hear was people clapping when TJH replaced Pickett.

As much as we love TJH we must encourage Pickett to regain the enthusiastic play before he got sick. Last night we saw the team struggle for identity and rhythm. We have lost Thatch Jr for the season and Pickett is a solid guy who can give minutes at a number of places on the court. He is not a three point shooter but he can finish and this team needs to finish.

Javon pick up your team

21 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

As much as we love TJH we must encourage Pickett to regain the enthusiastic play before he got sick. Last night we saw the team struggle for identity and rhythm. We have lost Thatch Jr for the season and Pickett is a solid guy who can give minutes at a number of places on the court. He is not a three point shooter but he can finish and this team needs to finish.

Javon pick up your team

i believe javon has a lingering leg injury, he doesnt have the early season explosiveness

Slowry and willie like this

7 game season.  There’s nobody that doesn’t need to be better.  Being better means being the intensity, be smart, hustle, don’t beat yourself, take care of the ball, know the situation, and don’t try to play hero ball.  Being good doesn’t mean scoring the winning basket.  Play disciplined ball.  Stop with the idiotic self-inflicted wounds.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I don’t think it’s because he was replacing Pickett.  I think it’s because he was having a good game then got buried on the bench for some reason.  TJ had been out for a while at that point.  It just so happened that Pickett was the one he replaced.  

cheeseman likes this

23 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

Javon pick up your team

Interesting that you say Pickett can finish. In the first half of the season he was really good at finishing. In the last 3 or 4 games his finishing has not been good. Makes me wonder if he has lost his lift with a bad ankle. 

1 minute ago, Slowry said:

I don’t think it’s because he was replacing Pickett.  I think it’s because he was having a good game then got buried on the bench for some reason.  TJ had been out for a while at that point.  It just so happened that Pickett was the one he replaced.  

Fans are aware that TJ gives all out effort.  Fans are aware Yuri coughs the ball up at horrible times.  Fans understand taking that crap shot that Yuri took was NOT a good shot.  

4 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Fans are aware that TJ gives all out effort.  Fans are aware Yuri coughs the ball up at horrible times.  Fans understand taking that crap shot that Yuri took was NOT a good shot.  

Great but that has nothing to do with my response.

35 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

Javon pick up your team

Whether he has enthusiasm or not, his usage is CRAZY for who he is and what his role should be on this team

4 minutes ago, Slowry said:

Great but that has nothing to do with my response.

Actually yeah it does.  I may not have been clear enough, but my point is fans know when a player is doing well or not. You said TJ received applause when he replaced Pickett.  My point is fans know the situation and TJ has been sitting when he was having a good game, just like the boos came down at the team or Yuri as a result of some stupid plays that looked like it may cost them the game.

-CFord tracks every stat imaginable, I wonder if they track Yuri going into the trees? I would like to see the outcomes of this approach

-we didn't foul a 3pt shooter, I hope we don't have a bunch of those in reserve for use on Friday

-should Pickett be held out of activity to try to heal? we'll need him more in NYC than anywhere else, imo

-I don't want to say GibJim is constantly held or impeeded but last night it sure appeared to be close to that. Great pump fake and make at the end!

-someone who had the benefit of replay, did the RI player trip on his own or did we make contact?

-from my perch it looked like CFord was trying real hard to have a better sideline demeanor but I'm guessing it was real difficult with how we played

-what percent of the time do we start our offense with Yuri going to the right side

-Larry got 3 first half fouls

Dr Bird likes this

3 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-someone who had the benefit of replay, did the RI player trip on his own or did we make contact?

I had to watch from my hotel room in KC - yes, there was contact...but it was still a soft call. If the refs didn't have to make the call in live-time and had to call it based on the replay I reckon it would've been a coin flip.