A10 around the league

pretty_ricky

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

Hurley? How is he better than Ford? Hurley 3 Tourney appearances (One of those a 1st Four) at AZ State in 8 years and zero wins; Ford 5 Tourney appearances in 8 years and 1 win.

Dusting off former board darling Bryce Drew? He's at Grand Canyon for a reason.

If we're going to make a change, let's do better.

Good point on Hurley. 

Bryce Drew has won everywhere he's been except for the school that never wins (Vandy) and he at least made a tournament there. 

Agreed that need to do better though. I don't know if I trust May to be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat. 

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@SluSignGuy Steve can you move all of the I hate SLU basketball comments to a separate thread so that those of us that want to follow the “A10 Around the League” can have a decent conversation? 

I have no problem with MBM’s expressing their opinions, but EVERY THREAD is getting dumped on. 

AGB91, DOC, White Pelican and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Good point on Hurley. 

Bryce Drew has won everywhere he's been except for the school that never wins (Vandy) and he at least made a tournament there. 

Agreed that need to do better though. I don't know if I trust May to be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat. 

As a SLU and Vanderbilt fan, I feel like I have to defend Vanderbilt and say Vanderbilt is not horrible and can win (although they didn't with Bryce Drew). 

NCAA appearances: 1965, 1974, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1997, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017 with sweet 16s in 03-04 and 06-07.

I know our aspirations are higher, but Vanderbilt also has NIT success: Champions in '89-90, 2nd place in '93-94, Quarterfinals in '22-23, '21-22, '14-15, '04-05, '97-98

27 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

As a SLU and Vanderbilt fan, I feel like I have to defend Vanderbilt and say Vanderbilt is not horrible and can win (although they didn't with Bryce Drew). 

NCAA appearances: 1965, 1974, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1997, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017 with sweet 16s in 03-04 and 06-07.

I know our aspirations are higher, but Vanderbilt also has NIT success: Champions in '89-90, 2nd place in '93-94, Quarterfinals in '22-23, '21-22, '14-15, '04-05, '97-98

If our team looked like this everyone here would be scrambling to keep the coach.

NIT is OK with me; it's when we are dropping to these irrelevant doldrums that i become upset. Last year was supposed to be "the year" that we built up 3+ seasons for, and we sucked.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

@SluSignGuy Steve can you move all of the I hate SLU basketball comments to a separate thread so that those of us that want to follow the “A10 Around the League” can have a decent conversation? 

I have no problem with MBM’s expressing their opinions, but EVERY THREAD is getting dumped on. 

Im convinced the board would be much, much better if everyone was put on a post limit. That way it would be easy to manage and fair to all. The board would be readable again. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Just made a donation to SLU on giving Tuesday,  $60 gets you SLU socks, check the donor rolls for First Name: Fire Last Name: T Ford C May.

$60 closer to that $7.5mil

Until then buckle because the hate train has left the station and we ain't stoppin' it'll only get worse as the Ls pile up. 

thetorch, TaLBErt, JMM28 and 1 other like this

5 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Just made a donation to SLU on giving Tuesday,  $60 gets you SLU socks, check the donor rolls for First Name: Fire Last Name: T Ford C May.

$60 closer to that $7.5mil

Until then buckle because the hate train has left the station and we ain't stoppin' it'll only get worse as the Ls pile up. 

The fire Ford train has no brakes.

Fire Crews. Fire Ford.

thatskablamo likes this

On 11/28/2023 at 8:31 AM, billikenbill said:

The Iron Five of LaSalle knock off Coppin State to move to 5-1 and give Fran Dunphy his 600th career win. All of Dunphy’s wins have come in Philly as he’s the only person to have coached three of Philly’s Big Five schools.

Was a little surprised to see that LaSalle has had 8 straight losing seasons. No MTE for them this year so they’ll need to win at least 15 to break the string. Probably will go 9-3 non-con so six A-10 wins gets them there. 

Dunphy can coach. 

Dayton hangs on to beat a decent SMU team at SMU.  Holmes with 20 but star of game is Brea with a career high 22 including 6 of 8 from three.  Temple took down La Salle in three overtimes and Wichita State beat Richmond by 12 in Wichita.

Over on A10 Talk, Billikens now rankled 11th out of 15 team A10.

-I'm not feeling particularly creative this afternoon so perhaps there are thoughts around Rothstein's suggestions that are out there that I'm not seeing

-scheduling for SLU is already difficult so increasing the number of non-con games increases the difficulty

-#2 is frankly, #2 - does "innovative" mean all road games? does he think A10 teams are turning down home and homes with P5/6 teams?

-is there a way to resurrect the A10/Mtn West Challenge? 

-for #3, Sunday mornings? 

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-I'm not feeling particularly creative this afternoon so perhaps there are thoughts around Rothstein's suggestions that are out there that I'm not seeing

-scheduling for SLU is already difficult so increasing the number of non-con games increases the difficulty

-#2 is frankly, #2 - does "innovative" mean all road games? does he think A10 teams are turning down home and homes with P5/6 teams?

The best thing would be to do challenges with other conferences, A10/MWC would be a good one, try for others like it if you can

2 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

Increasing the Non con would be great for SLU.  We struggle to find games because we only want series with P6 schools.  Lowering the number of conference games allows us to P6 road games in non con.  Make them pay us.  We will be able to buy out OFrd's contract faster.

#2 would be the A10 spearheading series with another conference.  Also rewarding teams for playing outside their comfort zone.  They need to encourage the east coast members to drop at least some of their local "rivalry" games that are just glorified buy games.

#3 The A10 tried to copy the P6 schools, ie if we play when they do, then we will be considered one of them.  We shoudn't play on the same night as the Big East.  We shouldn't play our conference tournament games on the same days as the P6 does.

16 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Friday 12/01:   VCU loses at home to Norfolk State 63 to 60.  South Carolins crushes Geedubya in SC.

Oh, VCU. They announced that the game was a sellout earlier today. Woof.

50 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Oh, VCU. They announced that the game was a sellout earlier today. Woof.

They sold out a home game against Norfolk State and then lost? This would have been like use selling out Chaifetz then losing to SIUE. Bad loss, no way to sugarcoat it.

Pistol likes this