A10 around the league

pretty_ricky

2 hours ago, Westy03 said:

Southern Indiana is beating LaSalle in the second half by 4.  

The Iron Five of LaSalle comes back to defeat USI 79-78 to move to 4-0. POW!! Watch out for the Fightin’ Tom Golas!!

Compton likes this

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know  I  get  fired  up about  SLU  being  bad.  But St. Joes,  after a  nice  start,  loses at  home to  Texas  A and M Commerce bank.....i mean come  on.  I think  Ford  could even beat a bank.  Thats an all time horrible loss possibly  worse than SIUE.  

And VCU is struggling to beat crap  teams at home. Bailed out at the end today.  Dayton is damn good but the rest meh.

54 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

I know  I  get  fired  up about  SLU  being  bad.  But St. Joes,  after a  nice  start,  loses at  home to  Texas  A and M Commerce bank.....i mean come  on.  I think  Ford  could even beat a bank.  Thats an all time horrible loss possibly  worse than SIUE.  

And VCU is struggling to beat crap  teams at home. Bailed out at the end today.  Dayton is damn good but the rest meh.

Texas A&M Commerce is ranked #288 by Kenpom. Losing to them at home is worse than our loss to SIUE last year. However, St Joseph is still ranked 11 positions higher than us but Kenpom. Again, to all A10 AD’s: What are you doing to improve your men’s basketball team?

With the Shockers win over us, they are now 99 in Kenpom ratings. They also pushed VCU to 100, which now means that the A10 only has 2 teams in single digits in their ratings, Dayton at #60, Duquesne at #81.  We are now #148.

Exactly how many years of it being a 1 bid league will it take for the A10 to lose the right to claim it is a “mid-major” conference?

The A10 has solidified itself as a 1 bid league already, IMO.  

Dayton has a couple quality wins. Davidson and St B have wins over Maryland and OkSt. And that is it for “quality” and I’m stretching to include the last two. 

Everyone else has played a marginal 150-350 schedule and lost some won some. 

5 hours ago, JMM28 said:

The A10 has solidified itself as a 1 bid league already, IMO.  

Dayton has a couple quality wins. Davidson and St B have wins over Maryland and OkSt. And that is it for “quality” and I’m stretching to include the last two. 

Everyone else has played a marginal 150-350 schedule and lost some won some. 

The highest ranked A10 team is Dayton at 64. The MWC has 5 teams ranked higher than that, the American conference has 2 teams ranked higher than that.  Hard not to argue that the A10, which used to rank just below the Big East, is now well into single bid territory, and has been passed by several other conferences. Our second highest ranked team is Duquesne at 86, there are 2 Ivy League teams ranked higher than that, and 3 WCC teams higher than that.

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, GoSluBills said:

Davidson is not the same team at all in the post Bob Mckillop era. 

But losing by 34? That’s a beat down. I watched some of it and kept wondering why we didn’t try and bring Bennet back. St M’s is a very solid team. The A10 is not even a shadow of it’s former self. They were primarily EC teams that could get good players from EC high schools and AAU teams. Obviously those days are fading fast. 

4 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

@St. Mary’s 89 Davidson 55 - Final.  Both are 3-3. Gaels break 3 game losing streak. 

Santa Clara up on Oregon at the half. Let’s face it, we have neither the sustained success nor the financial resources to buy our way into the BE any time soon. Would rather be in the WCC than the A10 until Old Guy bribes Val Ackerman with a briefcase full of stamps, rare coins, and two dollar bills. 

13 hours ago, slu72 said:

But losing by 34? That’s a beat down. I watched some of it and kept wondering why we didn’t try and bring Bennet back. St M’s is a very solid team. The A10 is not even a shadow of it’s former self. They were primarily EC teams that could get good players from EC high schools and AAU teams. Obviously those days are fading fast. 

A10 way downhill so far…it’s early but Team Rankings has A10 ranked 11th, Ivy 10th and Mo Valley 7th.

11 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Santa Clara up on Oregon at the half. Let’s face it, we have neither the sustained success nor the financial resources to buy our way into the BE any time soon. Would rather be in the WCC than the A10 until Old Guy bribes Val Ackerman with a briefcase full of stamps, rare coins, and two dollar bills. 

Santa Clara (6-0) 88 Oregon 82 - Final; 

Boise State 65 VCU (3-3) 61 - Final. 

13 hours ago, slu72 said:

But losing by 34? That’s a beat down. I watched some of it and kept wondering why we didn’t try and bring Bennet back. St M’s is a very solid team. The A10 is not even a shadow of its former self. They were primarily EC teams that could get good players from EC high schools and AAU teams. Obviously those days are fading fast. 

Randy Bennett has stayed away from PAC-12 employment to stay at St. Mary’s in Moraga, where his son is a reserve guard on the roster. 

44 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Randy Bennett has stayed away from PAC-12 employment to stay at St. Mary’s in Moraga, where his son is a reserve guard on the roster. 

I read an article about him a few years ago. He’s like Few. He’s found a home there. He also lives in a nice house with Ocean views. I don’t think a view of the Mississippi would compare. Good coach. The article said he’s been offered PAC 12 jobs but’s content at St M’s. I always hoped we’d get a winning coach that would find a home here. Be careful what you wish for, because I think we found him. Now all he has to do is WIN! 

3 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Silver lining to the down A10 this season is that SLU should be able to win it!  Let's go Billikens!

Yes, let’s surprise everyone! Currently, Kenpom rates 12 other A10 teams higher than us, so it would sure surprise everyone!

20 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I read an article about him a few years ago. He’s like Few. He’s found a home there. He also lives in a nice house with Ocean views. I don’t think a view of the Mississippi would compare. Good coach. The article said he’s been offered PAC 12 jobs but’s content at St M’s. I always hoped we’d get a winning coach that would find a home here. Be careful what you wish for, because I think we found him. Now all he has to do is WIN! 

Come on 72. The Mississippi is beautiful. 

3 minutes ago, willie said:

Come on 72. The Mississippi is beautiful. 

From Waiting for Guffman, "We consider ourselves bi-costal if you consider the Mississippi River one of the coasts."

VCU vs Penn St on now from Disney World.  Added intrigue in this one Kern now playing for Nittany Lions and Mike Rhodes coaching the other team.

ESPN U with the game

VCU has 2 Aussies, 1 Brit, 1 Ukrainian so they're going foreign also