Media A10 Preseason Predictions

HoosierPal

Sports Illustrated dropped their predictions today.  No surprises:  Dayton, SLU, VCU, then Loyola of Chicago and UMass.  This is the first prediction I've seen with UMass this high, but I am buying on the Minutemen.  They may have a disjointed OOC, but come League games, they could be a factor.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/10/10/a10-basketball-rankings-dayton-saint-louis

• HoosierPal changed the title to Media A10 Preseason Predictions
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Sports Illustrated dropped their predictions today.  No surprises:  Dayton, SLU, VCU, then Loyola of Chicago and UMass.  This is the first prediction I've seen with UMass this high, but I am buying on the Minutemen.  They may have a disjointed OOC, but come League games, they could be a factor.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/10/10/a10-basketball-rankings-dayton-saint-louis

Im big on UMASS, its a common thread around this league that players who contributed at p5 schools, then drop down to A10 typically have good seasons. Well UMASS just landed a few of those, along with a great coach.  I have them at #4, but closer to VCU at 3 than Davidson or Loyola at 5.  

HoosierPal likes this

47 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Official LittleBill First Team Prediction

Yuri Collins

Foster Loyer

Tyler Burton

Josh Oduro

Daron Holmes

You have the SI team, except Loyer over Perkins.  It's your team, your call, I'm not second guessing you, but I am curious on your Perkins omission.  Any reasoning you care to share?

Granted, Loyer will be a handful and could well win POY, particularly if he carries Davidson to a top 3 season.

27 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You have the SI team, except Loyer over Perkins.  It's your team, your call, I'm not second guessing you, but I am curious on your Perkins omission.  Any reasoning you care to share?

Granted, Loyer will be a handful and could well win POY, particularly if he carries Davidson to a top 3 season.

It is not my personal first team. Just as I mentioned in my original post, it is my prediction of the first team. My personal first team is below:

Yuri Collins

Gibson Jimerson

Javonte Perkins

Javon Pickett

Francis Okoro

UMass could be scary come late Feb. Takes a while to put all the pieces together but by A10 tourney time we might not want to see them. 
I think the key for us is Travis’ coaching. The conf has upgraded it’s coaching to a point where he’s got to bring his A game. No doubt we’re talented but his ability to make adjustments, juggle the rotation, and game plan are still very important. 

Young Charles likes this

6 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Official LittleBill First Team Prediction

Yuri Collins

Foster Loyer

Tyler Burton

Josh Oduro

Daron Holmes

Can't leave the guy who will lead the A10 in scoring by over 5 points than the next guy....Gibson Jimerson.

yuri, gibson, javonte, javon, and francis all on the first team is unrealistic.   

that's why i got javon pickett on the second team.   the rest are right.

willie likes this

17 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i believe we will be very pleasantly surprised with pickett

I took a look at Pickett's career numbers and one oddity is that his three point attempts were the highest as a freshman, then dropped sharply the next two years and spiked back up a bit last year. He doesn't make them at a great percentage, but I wonder if his percentage will go up playing with Yuri and alongside several excellent perimeter threats. It has to help any shooter to have more time and good looks. Opposing defenses will have to always be aware of where Perk, Parker and Gibby are- those secondary 3-point shooters like Fred, TJ and Pickett should get a ton of wide open looks.

bauman likes this

17 hours ago, ACE said:

I took a look at Pickett's career numbers and one oddity is that his three point attempts were the highest as a freshman, then dropped sharply the next two years and spiked back up a bit last year. He doesn't make them at a great percentage, but I wonder if his percentage will go up playing with Yuri and alongside several excellent perimeter threats. It has to help any shooter to have more time and good looks. Opposing defenses will have to always be aware of where Perk, Parker and Gibby are- those secondary 3-point shooters like Fred, TJ and Pickett should get a ton of wide open looks.

No shooters on his last team, he had to force a bunch he won’t have to take this year 

15 hours ago, Schasz said:

Read the ESPN+ column on Mid Majors and they predicted Dayton winning the A-10 with SLU 2nd. They thought both teams could make it into the second week of the NCAA Tourney.

That would be fun. When was the last time the A10 had two in the S16?

Now that the A10 has dropped it's preseason rankings, I don't see a real problem with the Dayton/SLU selections at the top.  I am surprised Dayton got 22 votes over SLU's 7 as I thought it much closer than that.  Only separated by 17 total points so that is pretty close.  I think the thought process must be Dayton finished higher than us last year and has everyone back while Perkins' injury has to be overcome somewhat by the doubters.  I will be curious and watch to see if there is a dreaded sophomore slump for some of the Dayton guys.  Amzil and Nwokeji had them last year.  

No real surprises for me i n the rest of the order as they fell where they fell.  VCU needs to score better what with Williams and Curry gone.  Will Loyola's step up in competition be easy?  Mason has to find a PG to run that show.  Davidson lost a lot and I don't think Loyer and Mennenga alone are enough.  Ditto Richmond; Burton is good but Gustavson and Grace are role players at best.  Transfers will tell there.  And I hear a lot of buzz around Frank Martin and Umass but an eighth place prediction seems to hedge against them overall.  And there is a huge drop off from 10 to the bottom five so that is not surprising but I'm not sure the Bonnies are 75r points better than the PIG contenders.

As for selections, Foster Loyer better hope McKillop Jr. brough some help in.  He won't be roaming as free without Lee, Jones and Brajkovic in there.  Holmes is a nice player  but I need to see more than dunks and putbacks.  POY talk is likely warranted but I need to see more diversity.  First teamers likely and I don't see any issues with the overall 18 selections.  Nice to see Okoro get some love.  I don't recall Malachi Smith being that big of a defender last year so I'd delete him and put Thatch in there. 

All in all, nothing unexpected really. 

I watched the show on ESPN+. Actually it was a disappointment, especially the coaches interviews. Little or no discussion about their teams and their opponents. More about their families, a little on NIL, and the portal. 
I think it’s too close to call between UD and SLU. But we got more love on the individual level. 
Our success will depend more on Ford and how he uses the cards he’s been dealt. In his time here I’ve yet to see one of his teams play the game like Rick’s squads. This team should as they know each other so well. If they are going to meet the high expectations being set, they are going to have to play as a team and not 4 or 5 individuals. I miss the efficient and crisp play that Rick’s teams displayed on both sides of the ball. If this team can emulate that style of play we will be special.  

Fraz and Schasz like this

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I watched the show on ESPN+. Actually it was a disappointment, especially the coaches interviews. Little or no discussion about their teams and their opponents. More about their families, a little on NIL, and the portal. 
I think it’s too close to call between UD and SLU. But we got more love on the individual level. 
Our success will depend more on Ford and how he uses the cards he’s been dealt. In his time here I’ve yet to see one of his teams play the game like Rick’s squads. This team should as they know each other so well. If they are going to meet the high expectations being set, they are going to have to play as a team and not 4 or 5 individuals. I miss the efficient and crisp play that Rick’s teams displayed on both sides of the ball. If this team can emulate that style of play we will be special.  

We won't play like RickMa - those days are gone and he's not walking back thru that door.  But what we could have is the team with the most pure talent in the modern era of the program. It may not always be pretty and flawless, but hopefully the athleticism, skill and depth will be there to overcome some stretches of imperfect basketball.

cgeldmacher, Fraz and David King like this