Jordan Goodwin Is Now A Memphis Grizzly

thetorch

way better franchise than stinky Wizards. Seem to get a ton of tv time certainly vs D C.

I drifted away from pro ball in the Jordan era. but after they got rid of the man to man rule I find it compelling. the talent level is top of the world IMO. plus one gets to follow so many folks we knew at college level.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Suns team site on ESPN shows Jordan Goodwin as the fifth point guard option on the current roster. this is behind Booker behind Durant behind Beale and behind some guy I've never heard of .  Yikes!

34 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I love Jordan but I think you guys are being pretty optimistic.  Hope you’re right and I’m wrong 

It can definitely end up bad.  Especially if they can convince some high end rotation players to sign for the minimum.  But maybe Goodwin can fill the role Alec Caruso played for the Lakers when Vogel coached them.  Caruso was undrafted and won a Championship.  Maybe Vogel sees something in Goodwin that he saw in Caruso.  Also, there's probably a deadline coming up in which they have to decide if they want to keep Goodwin since his contract is partially guaranteed for next year.

36 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The Suns team site on ESPN shows Jordan Goodwin as the fifth point guard option on the current roster. this is behind Booker behind Durant behind Beale and behind some guy I've never heard of .  Yikes!

Half those guys are unrestricted free agents. Suns have I think 8 currently under contract. 

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

If Beal and Durant are listed as point guards, then yeah, he's a much deeper option. They aren't PGs, though.

Suns new owner seem willing to blow through the second luxury tax, but in the new CBA they added a bunch of new rules that curb the ability to construct the rest of your roster around multiple max contracts. You lose the MLE, can't sign buyouts, there are limits on trades, etc. JG has a $2M team option for ‘24-25, which is I think when those things kick in, and if he can play 20 mpg he becomes pretty valuable to them. It’s an awesome spot for him to defend, rebound, and do a bunch of dirty work in a ton of nationally televised games. Monster upgrade 

The best news for Jordan is that he is signed to a team/cap space friendly contract, and the Suns only have room for those types of contracts right now.  This means that he will be able to ride out his contract on a team that will be in contention for a title each of his remaining years.

As far as earning his next contract, the Suns will, presumably, have big second half leads against bottom half teams.  If they do, the coach will want to send in the grinder/defender types off the bench.  He fits that mold.  Hopefully, this is when he will be able to showcase his special skillset to the rest of the league.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

If that's correct he makes 1.9mil? I think he may be traded too.

They really won’t save real money by trading Goodwin away.  The rookie minimum is going to be around $1.2-1.3 million this coming season after they just raised the cap total projection again.

17 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2023/06/26/players-attending-phoenix-suns-workout-going-stick/

Suns bringing some players in for a workout.  

Free agency starts later this week.  We'll see what kind of players the Suns are targeting 

Given the Sun’s salary cap situation, I’m guessing players that are willing to work cheap will get looked at very closely

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Given the Sun’s salary cap situation, I’m guessing players that are willing to work cheap will get looked at very closely

Yeah.  Either they can convince some vets to take the minimum to chase a Championship or they take some chances on a few players and hope they can fit in and be productive.   With KD,  Booker,  Beal and Ayton you will have at least two of your top 4 players on the court at all times.

On 7/1/2023 at 9:17 AM, Matty Light said:

I'm now interested in seeing Goodwin and Watanabe on the floor together. Two A-10 defensive legends coming off the bench together would be cool.

Suns just signed Eric Gordon.  Roster is about to get interesting 

Woj is reporting the suns traded Cam Payne this morning to the Spurs.  That basically leaves no natural point guard on the roster, which leads me to think J Good will have a great shot at some point guard minutes this season. 

5 minutes ago, laker119 said:

Woj is reporting the suns traded Cam Payne this morning to the Spurs.  That basically leaves no natural point guard on the roster, which leads me to think J Good will have a great shot at some point guard minutes this season. 

Or Yurimania going to Suns🤪?