A-10 Tournament - Other Games GDT

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Why doesn’t Davidson shoot like that against us? If Loyer took that 3 against us it goes in and we lose. Jeesh. Fun game. Good for the A10. Palm says they knocked out X which is an added sweetener. 

Because Richmond better defended the perimeter than we did.

BilliesBy40 and Schasz like this

1 minute ago, 73Billiken said:

Great win for Richmond and two teams in the tourney for the A10.  Presumably more tourney $ to share.

Davidson was hot yesterday, not as much today.

Lee was awful, his poor play cost them the game.

Mooney did an excellent job rotating his players in and out of the game, except Gilyard went 40.  Cayo went 33, Golden 30, but both were in and out several times, getting numerous small breaks.  He realized he needed to substitute early and often, and it worked.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Because Richmond better defended the perimeter than we did.

I disagree. They had the same amount of butt naked, wide open shots, if not more. I was surprised Richmond had the same defensive game plan as us, but I guess it works with tired legs. The difference was today was their 3rd game in 3 days. For those that don’t believe 3 games in 3 days kills the legs after a 6 month season, this was a pretty perfect example. Loyer and Lee had open threes and combined for 2/13 today. We were more efficient yesterday than both exhausted teams in this one (and more efficient than rich yesterday). Just goes to show how awful the Umass and at Richmond losses were… if we had double bye, different story imo. 

10 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I disagree. They had the same amount of butt naked, wide open shots, if not more. I was surprised Richmond had the same defensive game plan as us, but I guess it works with tired legs. The difference was today was their 3rd game in 3 days. For those that don’t believe 3 games in 3 days kills the legs after a 6 month season, this was a pretty perfect example. Loyer and Lee had open threes and combined for 2/13 today. We were more efficient yesterday than both exhausted teams in this one (and more efficient than rich yesterday). Just goes to show how awful the Umass and at Richmond losses were… if we had double bye, different story imo. 

All in all our fault for dropping those games

20 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I’m not disagreeing with your 3 games in three days, but Richmond played 4 games in 4 days.  How was their shooting?

AlumniFan likes this

15 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

I’m not disagreeing with your 3 games in three days, but Richmond played 4 games in 4 days.  How was their shooting?

There's a tendency for MBMs to overthink these things in conference tournaments.  We also won four games and 4 days to get the bid.  It takes a combination of playing well and being lucky.  That's why they call it March madness.  Mooney didn't all of a sudden become a coaching virtuoso after missing the tournament for 10 years.  

A10Ref likes this

It does not matter how many games they played (Davidson played 3 and Rich played 4 including the final). The theory of the tired legs is the excuse for losing the game, Rich should have been even more tired with 4 games than Davidson with 3. What matters is, and always will be, winning the game. Congratulations to Rich in their tournament victory.