Coaching Carousel

BLIKNS

FGCU has moved on from Coach Fly.  He was the last link to "Dunk City" and the Sweet Sixteen run... Was an Assistant on that team. 

Won 21 games thus year, with alot of transfers.

I expect to see Marty Richter 's name at least mentioned for the job. Marty too was an assistant with Dunk City. Took the job at Florida Southwestern, when they restarted playing JUCO. Now a JUCO power, Richter now is an assistant at Drake.  

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if i remember correctly ewing couldnt even read or write when he went to georgetown.   they had to get special permission from the ncaa to have him tested in classes verbally by the teacher separate from the rest of the class.  

my point is, sure he might be a program legend, but is he smart enough to handle all the rigors of college coaching?   and i cant help but remember the failed try of clyde drexler college coaching try.   he wasnt too motivated to do the recruiting part of college coaching due to living the life of luxury as a retired hall of famer with money to burn.   

time for patrick to move on imo.  

47 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if i remember correctly ewing couldnt even read or write when he went to georgetown.   they had to get special permission from the ncaa to have him tested in classes verbally by the teacher separate from the rest of the class.  

my point is, sure he might be a program legend, but is he smart enough to handle all the rigors of college coaching?  

Ewing had only been in the US for six years when he was applying for college, which is why he required additional assistance with testing. He has a degree from Georgetown, which is more academic credibility than most college coaches. Not that doing well in school has much at all to do with being a successful college coach.

I think the most common issue with NBA players becoming college coaches is they don’t understand what it takes to recruit at their level. Perhaps for Drexler it was laziness. For Ewing the issue seems to be talent evaluation. Jerry Stackhouse, the coach of my second favorite team, is one of the better Xs and Os coaches in the SEC but hasn’t been able to get the players to compete with the Will Wade or Bruce Pearls of the world. 

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If you are an A10 program looking for a coach and Archie Miller isn't one of your target you either aren't doing your job or you don't have the commitment necessary to be a consistent winning program.

Agreed. Maybe Rhode Island could be a fit?

Compton likes this

54 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If you are an A10 program looking for a coach and Archie Miller isn't one of your target you either aren't doing your job or you don't have the commitment necessary to be a consistent winning program.

-do you mean Sean? yes I realize Archie coached at SVU

23 minutes ago, NH said:

Ewing had only been in the US for six years when he was applying for college, which is why he required additional assistance with testing. He has a degree from Georgetown, which is more academic credibility than most college coaches. Not that doing well in school has much at all to do with being a successful college coach.

I think the most common issue with NBA players becoming college coaches is they don’t understand what it takes to recruit at their level. Perhaps for Drexler it was laziness. For Ewing the issue seems to be talent evaluation. Jerry Stackhouse, the coach of my second favorite team, is one of the better Xs and Os coaches in the SEC but hasn’t been able to get the players to compete with the Will Wade or Bruce Pearls of the world. 

When he signed Kobe Clark, I thought about how far the standards of the Georgetown program had fallen - they used to be loaded with talent. He's barely gotten off the bench for a terrible team.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

my point is, sure he might be a program legend, but is he smart enough to handle all the rigors of college coaching?   and i cant help but remember the failed try of clyde drexler college coaching try.   he wasnt too motivated to do the recruiting part of college coaching due to living the life of luxury as a retired hall of famer with money to burn.   

time for patrick to move on imo.  

Ewing was head of the NBA players union for long period of time.  They don't elect idiots to that job.

2 hours ago, NH said:

It seems you used a lot of words to agree Ewing might not be the brightest coach.  Glad you agree 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

If you are an A10 program looking for a coach and Archie Miller isn't one of your targets you either aren't doing your job or you don't have the commitment necessary to be a consistent winning program.

Archie is likely going to cost too much for UMass or Rhody based on their current coaching budgets. The rumor is UMass has allocated 1.2-1.5 million for the position, while Archie has ruled Rhody out, according to people close to that program. 

Kansas State finishes 14-17.

I think Weber should be in trouble.

If I am the KSU AD I would be talking to one of the Millers.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:09 AM, brianstl said:

If you are an A10 program looking for a coach and Archie Miller isn't one of your targets you either aren't doing your job or you don't have the commitment necessary to be a consistent winning program.

I always felt if Travis left, Archie would be at the top of my list. 

TheA_Bomb likes this