Go Ahead And Mark Me A Troll..I Don't Care Anymore

mrjoelabs

Travis Ford is an absolute DOLT.  How can you get outcoached in every big game.  Sure, the Dayton win was sweet. Loved it. But the talent showed out that day.  Ford did have a good plan to limit Holmes. Plus Anthony Grant is a fool also.  But Schmidt coaches circles around Ford EVERY TIME.  We had a red hot team, finally getting some national attention facing a fading opponent at home.  Team has a ton of energy coming out, runs out to a big lead.  Then Schmidt changes things up...and one 16-0 run and 20-5 end to a half later, its over.

And honestly, if the Bonnies shot 3s in the first half, game would've been a blowout.  And will Jimmerson EVER hit a big shot in a big spot. Wake me up when he does..because it never happens.   And you bring in Williams at the end of the game after not using him all game...desperation moves.   And lets keep driving into Osun with small players, because you know that works.

This team has no shot at an at large.  So unless we win that tournament again its NIT Bound.

billikenbill likes this

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Played it, coached it, wrote about it. I had one team that was so outmanned that they chose me COY with a losing record!! We’d show up and the other team would start laughing at my shrimpy kids. That was until they were in a dogfight in the 4th quarter and then things got serious.

What they didn’t know was that my little 5’6 PG was a keg of dynamite who went on to play college ball, and another kid was a multi-sport star who wound up in the NFL.

mrjoelabs likes this

There have been disappointing parts of this season for sure but when I stop and think about it they are 17-7 without their best player. 

If you would have told me when Perkins went down they’d be in the running for a double bye I would not have believed it. 

I think a lot of us are forgetting how valuable Perkins was and how much the Bills relied on him.

cgeldmacher likes this

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Played it, coached it, wrote about it. I had one team that was so outmanned that they chose me COY with a losing record!! We’d show up and the other team would start laughing at my shrimpy kids. That was until they were in a dogfight in the 4th quarter and then things got serious.

What they didn’t know was that my little 5’6 PG was a keg of dynamite who went on to play college ball, and another kid was a multi-sport star who wound up in the NFL.

So you had a losing record with a future College basketball player and a future NFL player on your roster?

slufanskip and QUAILMAN like this

I don't know that Joe is a troll, not for me to say.  But some of the points shoudl be noted and well taken.  We looked like we had never seen a zone before EVER.  We had no clue how to attack it.  And it was special.  Not so much a standard 1-2-2 or a 2-3, but a 1-1-3 matchup zone.  Now that's rare.  But Ford seeme3d totally unprepared and blitzed bu it.  The zone also protected Osunniyi after he got his second foul.  He just stood in the restricted arc and bided his time.  Not once did Ford call atimneout to address the attack.  No tonce did he pull Collinbs and give him some former top PG advice (Collins played 40 minutes).  We scored our 25th point at the start of the de facto second quarter .... and scored five the rest of it!  From the (;48 mark, we combined to put up 14 shots and turnovers, with the last five points in the half coming on a Gibby three and Collins buzzer beater at half.  Right there, the game was lost.  And you can't learn on the fly so that tells me the coaching staff did NOT prepare our guyas for any of it.  

On the flip side, Schmidt and company made it tough on Collins to drive, they played slow ball as best they could, they protected Osunniyi and just b*tch slapped the pretenders from St. Louis.  We looked dazed and confused.  And to me that's on the coach.

No doubt Perkins was missed last night. We had no one who could hit critical shots that could have prevented us from falling off the cliff. But overall we were not creating many open shots for anyone. A guy like Perkins can create his own opening. I really thought Nesbitt might be a Perkolator in training, but he’s largely disappeared from the offense. Wonder why? 

I have to say I was confused by the lack of substitutions by SLU.  Everyone prior to the game was talking about how the Bonnies only sub one or two guys, which proved to be true last night.  Three of their players played all 40 minutes, and because of foul trouble, Osunniyi and Couliblay split their 40 minutes 26 to 14.  Adaway came out for three minutes early in the first half, but then never came out again.  I truly thought Ford would empty the bench to run the Bonnies out of the gym.  That never happened.  Jones never got in (I don't know if there was a health issue), Williams was wasted in his five minutes, and that was it.  Now, SLU has to play at St. Bonaventure with players that are not rested.  I know the Bonnies went into a zone, but SLU, well Collins, just stood and dribbled, rarely kicking it out.  To me, SLU wasted a chance to show they are an elite team in the A-10.

24 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No doubt Perkins was missed last night. We had no one who could hit critical shots that could have prevented us from falling off the cliff. But overall we were not creating many open shots for anyone. A guy like Perkins can create his own opening. I really thought Nesbitt might be a Perkolator in training, but he’s largely disappeared from the offense. Wonder why? 

Nesbitt is going through a challenge that a lot of talented freshman face - his go to moves that worked in high school are neutralized by good defense in college. 

The young fella has virtually no mid-range game.  It's either get to the basket or shoot the three.  A good defensive team just waits by the basket to take the charge or contest the shot with a rim protector.  If he's not hitting threes you get a game like last night.  You're going to see a lot of up and down performances from Nesbitt until he develops a counter.  I'm not sure that's something he can accomplish in the short time we have left this season.

38 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

So you had a losing record with a future College basketball player and a future NFL player on your roster?

And nothing else. Those two and 10 kids who could barely walk and chew gum at the same time. The kid who went to the NFL was a 9th grader at the time and we moved him up to the varsity. It was after that that he filled out and became the athlete that he did. The first time I saw him jump I said we’ve got to have him.

We let the PG, who was quick on quick, cheat into the passing lanes and he had steal after steal, and the whole offense was high pick and roll and let him create something. We had an under the goal out of bounds play which got us a lot of cheap baskets and no one caught on to what we were doing.

What was great was how upset the other team’s parents would get about it. They couldn’t figure out why what looked like should be blowout games would be so tight late.

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

And nothing else. Those two and 10 kids who could barely walk and chew gum at the same time. The kid who went to the NFL was a 9th grader at the time and we moved him up to the varsity. It was after that that he filled out and became the athlete that he did. The first time I saw him jump I said we’ve got to have him.

We let the PG, who was quick on quick, cheat into the passing lanes and he had steal after steal, and the whole offense was high pick and roll and let him create something. We had an under the goal out of bounds play which got us a lot of cheap baskets and no one caught on to what we were doing.

What was great was how upset the other team’s parents would get about it. They couldn’t figure out why what looked like should be blowout games would be so tight late.

I'm shocked you haven't been offered a big time college gig. You need me to call some people? 

cgeldmacher likes this

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I don't know that Joe is a troll, not for me to say.  But some of the points shoudl be noted and well taken.  We looked like we had never seen a zone before EVER.  We had no clue how to attack it.  And it was special.  Not so much a standard 1-2-2 or a 2-3, but a 1-1-3 matchup zone.  Now that's rare.  But Ford seeme3d totally unprepared and blitzed bu it.  The zone also protected Osunniyi after he got his second foul.  He just stood in the restricted arc and bided his time.  Not once did Ford call atimneout to address the attack.  No tonce did he pull Collinbs and give him some former top PG advice (Collins played 40 minutes).  We scored our 25th point at the start of the de facto second quarter .... and scored five the rest of it!  From the (;48 mark, we combined to put up 14 shots and turnovers, with the last five points in the half coming on a Gibby three and Collins buzzer beater at half.  Right there, the game was lost.  And you can't learn on the fly so that tells me the coaching staff did NOT prepare our guyas for any of it.  

On the flip side, Schmidt and company made it tough on Collins to drive, they played slow ball as best they could, they protected Osunniyi and just b*tch slapped the pretenders from St. Louis.  We looked dazed and confused.  And to me that's on the coach.

Or maybe Ford did prepare them and our guys didn't perform well.

CBFan likes this

Ford has a much deeper bench than the Bonnies and he gave up that advantage and wore out his starter so they couldn’t perform in crunch time because their legs were shot from our aggressive man to man for 40 minutes. Ford is afraid to use his bench to make his starters more effective. He’ll do the exact same thing on Monday, with the same result.

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

No. Ford, Jimerson, and the refs. Nobody else has been at fault other than those 3 when we lose this season according to this board 

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Yuri also. 

The thought that without Perkins, this is who we are doesn't seem to be a possible answer. If the guys play well, we can win tough games. but when we have a game that not 1 player played above their norm and a few played worse, we will lose. 

When Perkins went down, I doubt anyone would have had us making the tourney. Heck before he went down very few thought we were a tourney lock. Without him we are a 50-60 ranked team. Capable of beating most teams, but like all teams everyone doesn't play great every game. When numerous players don't we lose. 

15 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Yuri also. 

The thought that without Perkins, this is who we are doesn't seem to be a possible answer. If the guys play well, we can win tough games. but when we have a game that not 1 player played above their norm and a few played worse, we will lose. 

When Perkins went down, I doubt anyone would have had us making the tourney. Heck before he went down very few thought we were a tourney lock. Without him we are a 50-60 ranked team. Capable of beating most teams, but like all teams everyone doesn't play great every game. When numerous players don't we lose. 

I'm still trying to understand how expanding the rotation to Rashad Williams, DeAndre Jones and Markhi Strickland would result in us running opponents out of the building.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm still trying to understand how expanding the rotation to Rashad Williams, DeAndre Jones and Markhi Strickland would result in us running opponents out of the building.

& right into a freedom caravan blockade on Compton!

Stupid has never been more vocal & militant. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I'm shocked you haven't been offered a big time college gig. You need me to call some people? 

Na, getting ready to retire. Thanks for the thought though.