GDT: Boise State

Bills By 40

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, NH said:

Teams have been guarding Yuri differently the past couple of games and he has yet to adjust. More blitzing off screens, sometimes double teamed or trapped. This is why I think coach has been playing Jones alongside him more, to give a little bit of a pressure valve for Yuri. For how well Gibson has played, his inability to handle the ball adds an extra burden on the other guys in the backcourt. I am confident that Yuri will adjust, and there is no doubting we need him to manage the ball better especially early in games. 

Deandre Jones was such a good pickup by the staff this summer. I did not give them enough credit for that foresight at the time.

At the time there was no reason to believe he'd be the immediate difference maker that he is. Not a failure on your part just a happy surprise, similar to Linssen last year. 

Something I thought I noticed on the broadcast was reflected in a quote from Ford in today's P-D story: "We weathered it and stayed a little calm amid a lot of craziness going on." It seems like in the past in a game like this Ford would be much more wound up, emotional, anxious, whatever. One of Majerus's strengths, as I recall, was to keep calm and unemotional in the huddle, use it as a teaching opportunity, and help the team stay focused and in control. Maybe we're beginning to see more of that with Ford.

Billikenbooster likes this

3 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

Something I thought I noticed on the broadcast was reflected in a quote from Ford in today's P-D story: "We weathered it and stayed a little calm amid a lot of craziness going on." It seems like in the past in a game like this Ford would be much more wound up, emotional, anxious, whatever. One of Majerus's strengths, as I recall, was to keep calm and unemotional in the huddle, use it as a teaching opportunity, and help the team stay focused and in control. Maybe we're beginning to see more of that with Ford.

Majerus had way more experience coming into his role at SLU, like you said maybe Ford is catching up. Hard for anyone to fill the shoes that Majerus left and sometimes I still wonder where we'd be if we still had him at the helm. 

Ford gets a lot of shiot but he's a good egg and if nothing else boy can he recruit. 

8 minutes ago, SShoe said:

The refs were terrible, but if it weren't for many of the ridiculous charge calls, I'd say they helped us since Boise couldn't hit a free throw. 

Haha! Jimerson’s charge call at the end. They were knocking him to the floor off the ball every time down the court, no call. Then he gets the ball and he barely bumps the guy, charge.

12 minutes ago, CBFan said:

The last 3 games with Yuri is concerning, this has become a pattern now.

Williams had a 3 but also had 2 dreadful turnovers with one resulting in points.  Williams has not shown anything and I will be looking forward to when Williams can contribute for a win.

Nesbitt struggled offensively but Jordan brings so much more than offense to a game.  Rebounding, defending, bring the ball up to the front court, finding a way to be a solid contributor for every game, the offense will come.

I like Fred Thatch's game pattern lately of solid offensive and defensive contributions coming off the bench.

Last night was a team win, it took all hands on deck to finish the job.

A 13-1 record will have the Billiken's ranked in the top 25.

williams also had two defensive instances where he left his man to double on a pass to the inside.   as soon as he left his man, the big threw out to williams man and in both instances the man hit the three.   now i am sure the billikens were somewhat surprised by the broncos three point shooting last night as we were all led to believe they were not that good shooting from the outside, but even then, i'm ok doubling outfront far from the basket, but that result is almost to be expected.   gotta choose your oppotunities.  

20 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I don't think I was the only one worried about it, but because of some cool insider opportunities to see the boys play before most people I was the one to light the fire that others threw wood on. I'm very optimistic about the development we'll see from him in the next couple of months. 

Just say it.... @Littlebill was right. as he always is when we disagree

Just now, AnkielBreakers said:

Haha! Jimerson’s charge call at the end. They were knocking him to the floor off the ball every time down the court, no call. Then he gets the ball and he barely bumps the guy, charge.

i thought that was a good call.   he hit him solid in the chest.   dont know how the ref could ignore that.  

the bad calls in the game was the fake flop called on nesbitt and the obvious double dribble by jimmmmerson that was ignored.  

Matty Light likes this

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

MISTke on my part.   i will try not to let it happen again

...as I would expect---just pulling your chain in good fun.  BTW, your Caps Lock key was depressed for your first four letters.😁

39 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Thru 8 games we've had 4 different leading scorers and 4 different leading rebounders

I call that making up Perkins points by committee.

almaman likes this

36 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i thought that was a good call.   he hit him solid in the chest.   dont know how the ref could ignore that.  

the bad calls in the game was the fake flop called on nesbitt and the obvious double dribble by jimmmmerson that was ignored.  

It didn't get talked about on the broadcast, but I believe the initial flop warning was issued against DeAndre Jones.  That was a bad call as well.  The guy made some contact with Jones & he fell.  I think it was a good no-call in terms of not calling a charge because the contact pretty light, but I also think Jones falling wasn't egregious enough to issue a flop warning on.

There was a charge call on Jimerson earlier in the game that was really bad too, IMO.  Jimerson was going up for kind of a floater in the lane.  Had clearly gone up with the ball before the defender was in position.

Generally refs seem lost as ever on charges, flops, and blocking fouls.

I can't recall any other calls that were terrible, but the refs were pretty inconsistent with calls.

CB, drinking a lot of that Blue CoolAid, eh?  One of the tough 6 stretch down and 5 to go.  4 at home and Drake at Vegas.  Of the remaining 5, I would be happy with 3-2 (L to either UAB or Belmont, and Auburn) and excited about 4-1 ( L to Aub.)  I really can't envision 5-0 so I will just call it a dream.

In that DREAM, YC needs to get back to a 5-1 A to TO ratio, GJ needs to hit45%+ from 3, JN needs to finds his Off and hit 12-14 pts per, ML/FO need to continue as they are with a few less fouls per game, TJ needs to take a few more shots per game. FT Jr needs to continue his play w/o any physical issues and the DJ/Williams combo need to contribute 10-12 per game.  Finally the team nee, ds to continue to hit Wiz's slash, especially the 3 pt and FT%'s

After Johnny Orr retired, the Iowa State Cyclones hired Tim Floyd (yes, that guy whom replaced Phil Jackson in Chicago). One of Floyd's goals each game was to make more FTs than the other team attempts. He believed this one area to be all the difference in tight ball games and when achieved usually leads to victory.

This is the first Billikens team since the Jett days that can actually achieve this kind of advantage. It definitely makes me feel more confident down the stretch of a game instead of the feelings that came during trips to the stripe the last several seasons.

Adman and bauman like this