2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think we saw this with Ford's first few years when we had little / no depth, but overperformed expectations.  It is a lot easier to get 5 guys on the same page / playing quality team defense than a rotation of 8-9 guys.  Everyone within that 5 learns what they're supposed to do & how to cover for the others weaknesses.  They can overperform their talent deficiencies by playing more cohesive  basketball on both ends, but especially on defense.  The pitfalls are that you are susceptible to injuries, foul trouble, & fatigue.

i wish we played 8-9 guys.   jones is our 8th man and plays 14 minutes a game.   no one else is over 10 minutes a game.   if i had my wish at least 2 more guys would be over 10 mpg.  and jones would add a few more minutes per game as well.   i just dont get not using the athletic talent we now has as opposed to billiken teams of the past.   

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enclose pre game TR stats for the 1st St. Bona game, then tell me what you see. I can say that whatever is going on, it has affected their performance, iron men or not. Even better if you check the TR stats comparison for the recent ST. Bona vs both Richmond and Davidson, you will find that St. Bona had better defensive stats that both of those two other teams and still lost to Richmond by 10, and to Davidson by 5. Agree something is going on.

Offensive Stat Comparison

Stat SBON SLU
Points/Game 70.7 77.2
Avg Score Margin +3.0 +9.5
Assists/Game 13.2 14.4
Total Rebounds/Gm 35.9 39.4
Effective FG % 49.6% 50.1%
Off Rebound % 28.5% 33.6%
FTA/FGA 0.293 0.351
Turnover % 14.3% 15.5%

Defensive Stat Comparison

Stat SBON SLU
Opp Points/Game 67.7 67.7
Opp Effective FG % 50.0% 46.8%
Off Rebounds/Gm 8.9 10.7
Def Rebounds/Gm 23.7 25.1
Blocks/Game 4.8 3.5
Steals/Game 5.4 7.0
Personal Fouls/Gm 13.9 18.5

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i wish we played 8-9 guys.   jones is our 8th man and plays 14 minutes a game.   no one else is over 10 minutes a game.   if i had my wish at least 2 more guys would be over 10 mpg.  and jones would add a few more minutes per game as well.   i just dont get not using the athletic talent we now has as opposed to billiken teams of the past.   

Take a look at the Bonnies minutes.  All 5 starters are over 30 minutes per with all except Osun over 36 minutes per.  Their 6th man plays less minutes per than Jones.

I'm fine with the Bills playing the best players / best unit more often as long as fatigue isn't an issue.  I think Ford mismanaged that earlier in the year, but has been better with it recently.

oh there is nothing good about the way schmitt uses his players imo.   no way there isnt a couple of guys on the bench that warrant more mpg.   one of the few things i dont like about schmitt as a coach is this habit.

For the best 1-1 comparison of benches. Bona's bench made up 9.5% of total minutes during their home game against Fordham yesterday. When we played Fordham at home, our bench made up 25.5% of minutes (no Linssen, btw). Obviously, only thing that matters is winning, but I find bench minutes/depth interesting.

Jay Bilas' Top 68 rankings.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/33281961/jay-bilas-unveils-1-68-men-college-basketball-rankings-version-20

Davidson at 50, SLU at 62, Dayton at 65. 

image.thumb.png.d608917c0ff975b71be51ebf236700c7.png

SLU opponents: 

Auburn (2), UAB (33), Boise St (37), Belmont (42), Memphis (45), Iona (63). 

Memphis has aged so poorly. 

16 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Memphis has aged so poorly. 

Memphis is actually starting to play a lot better recently.  They just won at Houston and at Cincinnati.  They're back up to #36 in KenPom after bottoming out at #66 following losses @UCF, @East Carolina, vs SMU & then a very narrow road W @ Tulsa.

It's been a rollercoaster season, so you wouldn't be shocked if they flew off the rails again & dropped back out of the tournament picture.  That being said, they still have all that talent & they could just as easily run the table, win the AAC tournament, & make a deep NCAA run.

On 2/9/2022 at 12:06 PM, billiken_roy said:

oh there is nothing good about the way schmitt uses his players imo.   no way there isnt a couple of guys on the bench that warrant more mpg.   one of the few things i dont like about schmitt as a coach is this habit.

Linton Brown was in the initial 8 man Bonnie rotation. He is reportedly suffering long term Covid issues and is out for the year.  He had been averaging 13 mpg.

45 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Bills now have only one guy under 35% from 3 (of those who shoot them). We have EIGHT over that mark. Six being rotation guys. Notables: Nesbitt up to 36%, Thatch up to 36.7%, TJ back above 35%

And yet we're in the bottom 10% in the country in terms of the # of our FG attempts that are from behind the arc.

1 minute ago, DOC said:

And yet we’re in the top 10% in scoring. 

For those curious, the (statistical) reasons were so high in scoring:

-We shoot a lot of free throws (75th in free throw rate) and make them at an extremely high clip (26th in FT%)
-As others have mentioned, when we do shoot threes we make them at an elite percentage

-When we do miss shots, were pretty good at getting the rebound; we get offensive rebounds on 35% of our misses, which is good for 12th in the nation

-We are playing at the fastest clip of the Travis Ford era, with an average possession length of 17 seconds

DOC likes this

Per KenPom our offense is 46th. That's very good. The shooting has been excellent, as has the offensive rebounding. The problem is the turnovers. We're 175th in protecting the ball. 

On defense we're very good at forcing bad shots but we're mediocre at defensive rebounding rate (120th) and forcing TOs (180th). 

At this point in the season, it appears SLU will finish fourth or fifth in the A10...and with a 1-3 record vs. top teams Dayton, St. B and Davidson, should go down after a game or two in the A10 tourney.

Reminder, the 2018-19 team that won the A10 tourney finished sixth in the regular season and had a 1-3 regular season record vs. tourney opponents Richmond, Dayton, Davidson and St. B.

This doesn't necessarily mean they will win this year's tourney, but it can happen. 

On 2/17/2022 at 1:02 PM, wgstl said:

I figured out the losing.

We've yet to lose a game where we have less than 14 TO's AND more than 31 rebounds. Its simple.

6 hours ago, juniorbill76 said:

Saturday was 10 TOs and 34 rebounds. Back to the drawing board. 🤔

***We've yet to lose a game where we have less than 14 TO's AND more than 31 rebounds AND our opponent shoots less than 58% from 3 on a 24 shot sample size.

3 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

***We've yet to lose a game where we have less than 14 TO's AND more than 31 rebounds AND our opponent shoots less than 58% from 3 on a 24 shot sample size.

This is getting confusing. 

We have yet to lose a game where we scored more points than our opponent. 

billiCAN and Bills By 40 like this

6 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

Hargrove's dad liked a tweet about Ford not knowing how to coach. I wonder if TJ will transfer, I hope not but someone definitely will. 

the family attends all the home games and they have some physical issues that hampers traveling.  I am not sure where he could go that is this easy for his family - SIU-E?

51 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

Hargrove's dad liked a tweet about Ford not knowing how to coach. I wonder if TJ will transfer, I hope not but someone definitely will. 

Please no. TJ is such a great, positive spark off the bench. In person and online he's such a humble, kind young fella. Hopefully it's just his family and not TJ that has any issues.

SLU_Lax and AlumniFan like this