2021-2022 Season

@NH- @3star_recruitbasically covered what I would say in my reply.

Cleveland is an underrated city. I kinda like it better than Cincy but my wife's family is here and Cincy is also closer to STL, making weekend trips easier. Congrats, @Quality Is Job 1.

@cgeldmacher, the Duquesne thing has also driven me nuts. I'm four hours from Duquesne and we've played there on a weeknight every season. We were a home-and-home partner for DU most seasons, too. It's gotta happen sooner or later. I'd love to get up there and catch a game in that newly renovated gym.

Also, if we want a normal basketball season, we need to get vaccinated. Do your part, everybody.

cgeldmacher and RUBillsFan like this

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Some folks here already question Coach Ford's coaching ability.  Could you imagine the roasting he would get if he was bringing in top 15 classes every year only to top out at the NIT?

Well it is a SLU message board, so I would expect the reception to be different for the SLU coach than the Memphis coach. Penny has brought in one top 15 class during his 3 seasons so far. He has gone 63-32 in those seasons. I think they've underachieved a little, but it's not that dramatic.  

Both Ford and Penny Hardaway have a reputation as underachieving despite talent. I think both of those reputations are somewhat reasonable but also somewhat unfair. I am happy with having Travis Ford as SLU's head coach and think he has the program heading in the right direction. I think Memphis fans generally feel the same way about Penny Hardaway. Both programs are in a better spot than when those coaches took over. 

Just to update the non-conference slate - noticed my previous post is now slightly outdated:

11/9 vs. UCA
11/20 vs. Mercer
11/23 vs. Illinois State in Cancun
11/24 vs. Buffalo/SFA in Cancun
11/30 at Boise State
12/4 vs. UAB
12/18 vs. Auburn
12/22 vs. Drake in Las Vegas
TBA vs. Belmont
TBA vs. Boston College
TBA @ Memphis

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

So Roy, not to pick on you, because others have commented similarly, but I had to throw in on this.  My mother worked in the vaccine research center at SLU for many years.  At one point, that department was responsible for something like 60% of the research grant money coming into SLU.  She knows exactly what goes into vaccines.  There are no chemicals or other potentially harmful agents.  It's all pretty much organic ingredients.  Almost all vaccines are 98% the same stuff.  So, yes, it has been tested and tested and tested for decades.  The ingredients that are different are not harmful either.  These are just antigens which make the vaccine effective for the disease you are trying to prevent.  People who are worried about a vaccine harming them in some way should be much more concerned about food that they put into their bodies without knowing exactly what's in it rather than being worried about a vaccine.  The biggest danger with vaccines comes to those who have egg allergies.  Everyone else should be perfectly fine.

Your mom was almost single handedly responsible for my beer money in college thru those vaccines! One of my favorite college stories was doing a smallpox study.  I got the shot and eventually it turned into a scab.  They paid me $75 twice a week to take a picture of the scab and change the dressing.  They had a rough estimate as to how long the scab would remain before it fell off, but until it did the $150/week for a picture and new bandaid remained. Made an extra $450. Good times for a college kid. 

37 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I'm sure.  But I haven't heard of any Guardians.

Update:  So, I guess the powers that be, who've been throwing around changing the name of Cleveland's MLB team for a while, are considering "Guardians."

To respond to Rich, I haven't really followed any MLB team for several years; to the extent that I would, I'm still a Cardinals fan.  I haven't adopted any Cleveland team other than the Cavaliers, which has been the team I've liked the most for decades (because of my ties to Cleveland), because St. Louis never had an NBA team during the years I lived there.

@Pistol and @billiken_roy: Thanks!

37 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

So Roy, not to pick on you, because others have commented similarly, but I had to throw in on this.  My mother worked in the vaccine research center at SLU for many years.  At one point, that department was responsible for something like 60% of the research grant money coming into SLU.  She knows exactly what goes into vaccines.  There are no chemicals or other potentially harmful agents.  It's all pretty much organic ingredients.  Almost all vaccines are 98% the same stuff.  So, yes, it has been tested and tested and tested for decades.  The ingredients that are different are not harmful either.  These are just antigens which make the vaccine effective for the disease you are trying to prevent.  People who are worried about a vaccine harming them in some way should be much more concerned about food that they put into their bodies without knowing exactly what's in it rather than being worried about a vaccine.  The biggest danger with vaccines comes to those who have egg allergies.  Everyone else should be perfectly fine.

but no efforts to speak of are being made to insure the general public that their fears are unfounded.   instead of calling the unvaccinated stupid or exagerating the crisis in an effort to force vaccine requests, why not spend the time addressing why people wont get it.  

Like i said, i got the shots as soon as i was eligible.   so dont count me in this.   i know that they never would have put it out there.   the odds have to be so so long.   (just like the odds are so so long of death by this new variant if you've already had the shots, yet they continue to inject fear into america with threats and insinuations in an effort to get the unvaccinated to step up)

but spend the effort into addressing the safety of the vaccine to the nth degree.   not trying to force people.   it's no wonder americans dont trust the media and the government any more the way they communicate.

HenryB likes this

6 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Update:  So, I guess the powers that be, who've been throwing around changing the name of Cleveland's MLB team for a while, are considering "Guardians."

To respond to Rich, I haven't really followed any MLB team for several years; to the extent that I would, I'm still a Cardinals fan.  I haven't adopted any Cleveland team other than the Cavaliers, which has been the team I've liked the most for decades (because of my ties to Cleveland), because St. Louis never had an NBA team during the years I lived there.

@Pistol and @billiken_roy: Thanks!

Enjoy Cleveland!  Just watch out for the midges.  Lol.

Even though you aren't a baseball fan, you probably remember Joba Chamberlain (Yankees pitcher) getting covered in midges during a playoff game and blowing a lead which led to a W for the Indians (ahem Guardians).

My story about Cleveland midges is that they were swarming the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame when we visited.  Couldn't stay outside for very long without being covered so we ran inside as fast as we could.  The R&R HOF was set up for some kind of reception outside though.  They had a bunch of chairs set up and there was a sheet cake on a table that had been coved with white icing, but had so many midges stuck in the icing that it appeared almost black.  Totally gross.  When we left, we got stuck in traffic and I had to use the windshield wipers to keep them from blocking my vision.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

Just now, RUBillsFan said:

Even though you aren't a baseball fan, you probably remember Joba Chamberlain (Yankees pitcher) getting covered in midges during a playoff game and blowing a lead which led to a W for the Indians (ahem Guardians).

My story about Cleveland midges is that they were swarming the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame when we visited.  Couldn't stay outside for very long without being covered so we ran inside as fast as we could.  The R&R HOF was set up for some kind of reception outside though.  They had a bunch of chairs set up and there was a sheet cake on a table that had been coved with white icing, but had so many midges stuck in the icing that it appeared almost black.  Totally gross.  When we left, we got stuck in traffic and I had to use the windshield wipers to keep them from blocking my vision.

what a story!   and quite the mental pictures you just painted for all!

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

In the 2.5 years+ that I've lived in Cleveland, I haven't been swarmed by anything — though the mosquitos can be pretty bad.  Maybe it's kind of like the predicted swarm of 13-year cicadas (or something like that) that was supposed to descend upon St. Louis in 2010 or '11.  (I did see some.)

RUBillsFan likes this

1 hour ago, crymdg2 said:

Your mom was almost single handedly responsible for my beer money in college thru those vaccines! One of my favorite college stories was doing a smallpox study.  I got the shot and eventually it turned into a scab.  They paid me $75 twice a week to take a picture of the scab and change the dressing.  They had a rough estimate as to how long the scab would remain before it fell off, but until it did the $150/week for a picture and new bandaid remained. Made an extra $450. Good times for a college kid. 

That's where my beer money came from too.  Get a shot, come back every two weeks to let them draw blood, cash multiple $50 and $75 checks. Head to Humphreys. Repeat.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

but no efforts to speak of are being made to insure the general public that their fears are unfounded.   instead of calling the unvaccinated stupid or exagerating the crisis in an effort to force vaccine requests, why not spend the time addressing why people wont get it.  

Like i said, i got the shots as soon as i was eligible.   so dont count me in this.   i know that they never would have put it out there.   the odds have to be so so long.   (just like the odds are so so long of death by this new variant if you've already had the shots, yet they continue to inject fear into america with threats and insinuations in an effort to get the unvaccinated to step up)

but spend the effort into addressing the safety of the vaccine to the nth degree.   not trying to force people.   it's no wonder americans dont trust the media and the government any more the way they communicate.

I get what you are saying, but one of the hardest things to do is to prove a negative.  I think that the science is out there and public officials are saying as strongly as possible that its safe, but if someone doesn't want to believe the science, they, obviously, aren't going to.  I also believe that not getting vaccinated is not a political issues, as I see just as many people who are not vaccinated from both sides of the aisle.

57 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

In the 2.5 years+ that I've lived in Cleveland, I haven't been swarmed by anything — though the mosquitos can be pretty bad.  Maybe it's kind of like the predicted swarm of 13-year cicadas (or something like that) that was supposed to descend upon St. Louis in 2010 or '11.  (I did see some.)

Mosquitoes, that may depend upon how close you live to water (pond, park, lake, river). Mosquitoes do not travel huge distances just to bite you, their biting is somewhat local. Some species can fly for a distance but generally they are local.

I wouldn't be shocked if we end up looking for a replacement for the cancun tournament... Gonna be tough going to mexico if there's another wave around that time and it's a small tournament so i bet they cut losses rather than trying to find a new location... could be a blessing in disguise and have the second annual billiken tournament with some bigger names.

stmdragons likes this

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

my thoughts on nesbit is that if he was all that many of you are making him to be right now then why did penny waste him last year?   yes they have lots of talent, but our talent is not that much below memphis.   it seems to me, particularly with a free year with the virus and all, penny would have utilized him more than he did.   

not saying he isnt good now and will be even better now, but i am reluctant to make him a major player yet when we havent seen him at the collegiate level yet.   i expect he will play.  but i will be surprised if he will be larry hughes from day one. 

A kid who had been living in a cheap Phoenix hotel room with his high school team for the two months before he showed up on campus wasn’t going to be ready to play.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

A kid who had been living in a cheap Phoenix hotel room with his high school team for the two months before he showed up on campus wasn’t going to be ready to play.

Huh?

On 8/3/2021 at 3:46 PM, brianstl said:

Thatch is starting.  He was the best player on the team after they returned from COVID.  

I expect a starting line-up of Collins, Nesbitt, Thatch, Perkins and Okoro.  

Jimerson and Linssen the first two off the bench.  Hargrove and the transfers round out the rotation.

I appreciate Thatch’s defense, but I’m still trying to wrap my mind around someone thinking he was our best player last season. He averaged 6 PPG post-Covid

5 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I appreciate Thatch’s defense, but I’m still trying to wrap my mind around someone thinking he was our best player last season. He averaged 6 PPG post-Covid

Kook at his numbers and advanced numbers on sports reference for the conference season.  He was the best player on the team in the conference season.  

56 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I get what you are saying, but one of the hardest things to do is to prove a negative.  I think that the science is out there and public officials are saying as strongly as possible that its safe, but if someone doesn't want to believe the science, they, obviously, aren't going to.  I also believe that not getting vaccinated is not a political issues, as I see just as many people who are not vaccinated from both sides of the aisle.

No one is making the effort to prove to the general public the fears are unfounded.   All i hear are the scare tactics

dennis_w likes this

12 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

He was highest non-Perkins returning starter.

Say what 

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Kook at his numbers and advanced numbers on sports reference for the conference season.  He was the best player on the team in the conference season.  

Say what, again. He was very up-and-down. No shot he was the "best player" compared to Perkins or Goodwin. I'll take Perkin's offense over Thatch's defense 7 days a week -- assuming that is what props up Thatch's advanced numbers? I can't imagine anyone who watched us last season would have this takeaway. 

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

No one is making the effort to prove to the general public the fears are unfounded.   All i hear are the scare tactics

There are doctors and medical officials all over the media talking about how the vaccines are safe and effective. I guess they are not being put on the media outlets you are watching.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Thatch had good shooting stats post COVID .468/.417/.815, but it was a really small sample size as he only averaged 19 mins / game and wasn't a focal point of our offense.  Those splits are on 62 total FGs, 12 3 pt FGs, and 27 FTs.

I like Fred.  He has an incredible story and has pushed through an incredible amount of adversity, but I need to see more before anointing him a surefire starter.  Assuming Yuri and Okoro take up 2 starting spots, I want to see the other 3 filled with guys who've shown more shooting prowess than Thatch over a longer period of time or with Nesbitt who has a much higher overall ceiling.  Obviously one of those is Perkins and I'd stuck with Jimerson unless his shooting funk from last season carries over.

His rebounding is a definite plus, so if we struggle in that area I could definitely see him getting more PT.  I could see lineups without Okoro struggling in that regard, so it would be nice to have Thatch out there for those.

He really needs to work on not fouling.  He had the higher rate of committing fouls on the team after Linssen.  It has been a problem throughout his career.  It hurts his overall defense if he's constantly putting guys on the line and also limits his playing time if he's in foul trouble.