2021-2022 Season

8 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

That's your choice.  I'm sitting here at my desk in a mask because the only people more frustrating than your ilk are the power-mad cowards in power forcing me to wear this pretty much useless thing.  

the same power mad cowards that want everyone to get the jab without looking at alternatives while pfizer makes billions. imo the vax is relatively untested and i want to see some longer term data

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

the same power mad cowards that want everyone to get the jab without looking at alternatives while pfizer makes billions. imo the vax is relatively untested and i want to see some longer term data

Power mad cowards? Covid is THE event of your lifetime. The vaccine is your ability to fight against it. This is your D-Day. The day your grandchildren would ask about. Did you join in the fight? Nope. Instead, you are sitting around thumbing your nose at authority like a beatnik, or, more likely, a coward. 

32 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

While I would not care to have the government remedy this, you and others like you, are the problem.  The answer is to watch you suffer the ravages of covid and not force me to mask due to your vaccine hesitancy.  Again a you problem not a me problem.............

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Power mad cowards? Covid is THE event of your lifetime. The vaccine is your ability to fight against it. This is your D-Day. The day your grandchildren would ask about. Did you join in the fight? Nope. Instead, you are sitting around thumbing your nose at authority like a beatnik, or, more likely, a coward. 

that is a lot of assumptions and name calling. Do say these things to peoples faces or are you a message board coward? lets meet before a billiken game and i will give you an opportunity to say those things directly. lets see how that works out

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

that is a lot of assumptions and name calling. Do say these things to peoples faces or are you a message board coward? lets meet before a billiken game and i will give you an opportunity to say those things directly. lets see how that works out

Hi Dennis_w, my words really weren’t meant directly for you. They were more a general feeling I have about this whole situation. I hope I did not offend you too terribly. Some people have a legitimate reason to avoid a vaccine, others, a deep spiritual reason. I respect those decisions. I just am troubled by some of the other reasons. Once again, I hope this does not cause you too much unnecessary pain or grief.

19 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Perkins is obviously far and away the best player on the team...but I've heard from someone who was at workouts that Nessbit's player growth has been astronomical.  By conference play he could be the best player on the team, running the point, scoring, defending 4 positions at a high level and rebounding.  He's getting pushed having to guard Perkins everyday and is attacking him right back.  He starts and stars from the first game on.

Here’s 10 minutes full of reasons why Nesbitt will be starting from day 1. We have guys that can do 1 or 2 things as well as Jordan Nesbitt does it, but I’m not sure we have anyone who can do EVERYTHING as well as Jordan Nesbitt does them. Will there be a learning curve stepping up to D1 competition? Of course. But his talent is undeniable. He’s going to terrorize the A10.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Hi Dennis_w, my words really weren’t meant directly for you. They were more a general feeling I have about this whole situation. I hope I did not offend you too terribly. Some people have a legitimate reason to avoid a vaccine, others, a deep spiritual reason. I respect those decisions. I just am troubled by some of the other reasons. Once again, I hope this does not cause you too much unnecessary pain or grief.

i have tried to have civil discussions with a number of posters, many have resorted to name calling and insults. to my recollection i have never done anything but be civil, if i have done otherwise my apologies. i have not suffered pain or grief but disappointment at the unwillingness of posters to have discussions in a civil matter. quite frankly i got pissed off. most here are highly educated but are inflexible in their mindsets and intolerant of others views. i visit this site because i am a many decades old billiken fan. only a narrow viewpoint is accepted in this forum.  i will vist here less often in the future

Dennis, there is one good way to handle your situation, use the ignore function. If anyone says anything you find offensive, just ignore them and stop responding to them. They should do the same with you. This will make things a lot easier, believe me.

11 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Here’s 10 minutes full of reasons why Nesbitt will be starting from day 1. We have guys that can do 1 or 2 things as well as Jordan Nesbitt does it, but I’m not sure we have anyone who can do EVERYTHING as well as Jordan Nesbitt does them. Will there be a learning curve stepping up to D1 competition? Of course. But his talent is undeniable. He’s going to terrorize the A10.

I'd imagine Nesbitt coming in as a freshman will be quite a bit like Carte'Are Gordon (hopefully minus all the baggage).  Gordon started basically from day 1 (1st 2 games of season, 9 of 13 games overall) despite having more experienced bigs around him (French & Foreman).  We played 2 bigs a lot during that stretch despite Ford's regular lineups most of the rest of his SLU tenure having only 1 true big.

Nesbitt like Gordon is talented enough that he should be starting right away even if there are some growing pains along the way.  He's talented enough to force his way into the lineup regardless of the preferred configuration.

SLU_Nick likes this

25 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'd imagine Nesbitt coming in as a freshman will be quite a bit like Carte'Are Gordon (hopefully minus all the baggage).  Gordon started basically from day 1 (1st 2 games of season, 9 of 13 games overall) despite having more experienced bigs around him (French & Foreman).  We played 2 bigs a lot during that stretch despite Ford's regular lineups most of the rest of his SLU tenure having only 1 true big.

Nesbitt like Gordon is talented enough that he should be starting right away even if there are some growing pains along the way.  He's talented enough to force his way into the lineup regardless of the preferred configuration.

I hate to say it, but I feel like his start at Memphis and transfer might affect that sort of approach. Might not. But I agree with the approach that I do not expect anything from him till we see him out there.

5 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I hate to say it, but I feel like his start at Memphis and transfer might affect that sort of approach. Might not. But I agree with the approach that I do not expect anything from him till we see him out there.

I think the start at Memphis and transfer are for sure impacting how others / media types are viewing him.  However, if he's been as good as @thetorch's source says during summer workouts (and I think you can see some of that in the video clips they've released) the coaching staff isn't going to worry about his time at Memphis.

I'm always a proponent of tempering expectations a bit.  I think we naturally tend to overrate our own players a bit / underrate opponents players (see any of @Taj79's posts about A10 opponents).  I think Nesbitt is a rate case where our view of him is closer to accurate because of his funky path to get to SLU.  I certainly hope so because we'll likely need him to be very good if we want to have a shot at the NCAAs.  

12 hours ago, thetorch said:

Perkins is obviously far and away the best player on the team...but I've heard from someone who was at workouts that Nessbit's player growth has been astronomical.  By conference play he could be the best player on the team, running the point, scoring, defending 4 positions at a high level and rebounding.  He's getting pushed having to guard Perkins everyday and is attacking him right back.  He starts and stars from the first game on.

I've had that same tingly feeling about Nesbitt. He's going to be dominating those A10 turkeys come January. 

Box and Won likes this

4 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I've had that same tingly feeling about Nesbitt. He's going to be dominating those A10 turkeys come January. 

Nesbitt has the highest 1st-year upside of any player we have had since Larry Legend. There is a scenario where he develops quickly and is a one-and-done player. IMO, the biggest question marks are what position he plays and how his shot transitions to the college game. Based upon @thetorch's intel, those questions may already be resolved, and if so, watch out.

wow catching up on what i missed. This turned into a dumpster fire...

To get us back on topic... Javonte Perkins is going to be an all american. Nesbitt a freshman all american. And we're gonna shock the world making the elite eight or further. I can think these things for the next three months, so don't try to stop me.

16 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Nesbitt has the highest 1st-year upside of any player we have had since Larry Legend. There is a scenario where he develops quickly and is a one-and-done player. IMO, the biggest question marks are what position he plays and how his shot transitions to the college game. Based upon @thetorch's intel, those question may already be resolved, and if so, watch out.

I agree with you about Nesbitt's potential impact this year.  I just hope he starts to hold down the 'woffin' after every good play.  As much as Goodwin contributed to the team, I could have done w/o his flexing after some good plays.  I can't stand the 'look at me' stuff.  I much prefer the way Javonte acts after his good plays---like he expects that of himself and that he has been there before.  Team first!

Don't misunderstand, I like the players to show emotion on the court, just not the 'look at me' kind.

Adman, Bills71 and billiken_roy like this

25 minutes ago, bauman said:

I agree with you about Nesbitt's potential impact this year.  I just hope he starts to hold down the 'woffin' after every good play.  As much as Goodwin contributed to the team, I could have done w/o his flexing after some good plays.  I can't stand the 'look at me' stuff.  I much prefer the way Javonte acts after his good plays---like he expects that of himself and that he has been there before.  Team first!

Don't misunderstand, I like the players to show emotion on the court, just not the 'look at me' kind.

No, give me all of it. Flex every good play. Carry yourself with some swagger

NoCoBillsFan likes this

42 minutes ago, bauman said:

If you looked closely, its more of a team blue toughness thing then a Goodwin thing. HAS and TJH did it almost every time too, Yuri and Fred did it a decent amount of times.  

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

If you looked closely, its more of a team blue toughness thing then a Goodwin thing. HAS and TJH did it almost every time too, Yuri and Fred did it a decent amount of times.  

I'm good with guys letting their personality show.  J-Good, TJH, etc. have that type of personality whereas Perkins doesn't.  I don't want all the guys to be robots out there not showing any emotion.

The only caveat is that if a guy is flexing / "woffin" after a good play and fails to get back on defense, then coach should tear into him and he should probably avoid that type of thing in the future until he understands when he can / can't get away with it.  I can't recall many (any?) situations where "woffin" caused Goodwin to be late / out of position on the next play.

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm good with guys letting their personality show.  J-Good, TJH, etc. have that type of personality whereas Perkins doesn't.  I don't want all the guys to be robots out there not showing any emotion.

The only caveat is that if a guy is flexing / "woffin" after a good play and fails to get back on defense, then coach should tear into him and he should probably avoid that type of thing in the future until he understands when he can / can't get away with it.  I can't recall many (any?) situations where "woffin" caused Goodwin to be late / out of position on the next play.

Seems like I noticed it most when there was a timeout after the play.....

RUBillsFan and SLU_Lax like this