Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Still only showing 11 teams. Are they really going to be able to get to 16? Would be TITTS if we can grab games against LSU, Northern Iowa, and Western KY (probably asking too much).

Obviously not an ideal non-conference schedule, but given what we've lost this year (Memphis, SDSU, possibly Zags/MSU) it could be a lot worse! If the Elevate Hoops MTE can snag a couple more top 75 teams, increasing our chances of landing reasonable opponents (Hoosierpal - do you know what teams are still looking for tournaments?) then our non-conference schedule is somewhat salvageable. 

MSU -_> LSU

Memphis --> Northern Iowa (work with me, folks)

SDSU --> Western KY (could be worse)

Minnesota --> Minnesota

Watch us end up with Nebraska, Cleveland State, and Illinois State....

 

 

I have no idea what P6 teams are still looking.  My assumption is that P6's already have a landing spot, or they have elected to not go to a MTE.  Butler is in that category.  So you are looking at Mid to Low Mids to fill out the Nebraska field, if in fact they can get 16.  You left off Oklahoma State, which will have perhaps the freshman of the year, and who knows, the player of the year in Cade Cunningham.

While criticizing some of the MTE fields, keep in mind that for some of the invited schools, this will help salvage their athletic department.  The low mids aren't paying an entry fee and some will be taking home a buy game check from the MTE.  At KY, Calipari has stated that he wants to help the Detroit program survive. (His son plays there.)  The Coach K Invite is centered around social justice and racial equality. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

It's probably just me but some of those campus events are pure hogwash, with no real competition for the P6 team hosting it.  Looks like a thinly-veiled attempt to just get games in.  Cases in point:

Kentucky hosting Detroit, Morehead State and Richmond (now minus Sherrod)

Illinois hosting NC A&T, Ohio and Wright State.

Iowa hosting Southern and NC Central.

K State hosting SD State, Colorado (exception) and Drake.

Ole Miss hosting Arkansas State, Central Arkansas and Jackson State.

Washington hosting Portland State and Cal State - Fullerton.

Xavier hosting Bradley, Toldeo and Oakland.

Rutgers hosting Fairleigh Dickinson and Rider.

And my personal favorite.....

Duke hosting Elon, Howard and Bellarmine.

Unless they moved up this year Bellarmine is D2. I believe the play Elon every year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Billikenswin said:

I know this might sound implausible but I have had the good fortune to attend some practices and I think one of our break out players will be Jordan Goodwin. He is playing so much better than he did as an arriving freshman and even better than last season—it is amazing that his shooting thus far this season is much much better than earlier in his career. His defense and rebounding are still excellent although I think he is now a better on ball man to man defender, and his leadership is truly something special to watch. Many other players are playing well— Yuri with much more confidence and he seems to have a much better mid range game.  TJ is much more at ease and confident than he was  last year and with his improved defense and shooting he will be a factor. Gibson is hustling all over the court and when he is hot he is an incredible shooter. Frankly, all of the returning players look as good or better than last year and the frosh are impressive as first year players and they have huge potential for the future. If we ever go cold we can rely on our defense but it wont be a pretty way to win. If we are hot—look out!—We could play with anyone.

While we know a lot about 9 of the returning scholarship players, we lack much first hand knowledge of our 3 newcomers, Strickland, Lorentsson and Linssen.  If you have seen them a few times, what's your take?  My pure guess is that MS is much like TJ, although possibly more advanced at this stage due to prior coaching; AL projects as a taller GJ type, who might even be a better shooter; and ML as a solid #5 position, 15-18 minute back up for JB Jr.  Am I way off base on any of the above?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I predict no individual breakout performances due to increased depth.  The breakout I expect is in overall team scoring, since we'll have 10 guys contributing instead of 8.

I think it will be interesting to see whether the distribution of our shots changes at all. Yuri, Hasahn and JGood were statistically our least efficient scorers. Will those guys step up their efficiency? If not, will some of their shots shift to better shooters like JP, Jimerson, Jacobs or others? I think it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Compton said:

Mizzou apparently drew TCU in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge and will host them later this year. 

STLPD Article: https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/mizzou-draws-tcu-in-sec-big-12-challenge/article_863434e6-1737-5414-b135-59ff740f25f9.html

Guessing most on this board will be heading to Columbia to watch Mickey Pearson play. 

That will be a tough ticket.  I wonder if his Grandma will be in attendance?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my starters: YC, JP, JG, HF. (I corrected, I meant Perkins).

Right now, it is good to assume that J. Bell will start as well, but I would not be surprised if Linssen ends up eating into his minutes because of consistency on offense. 

Gibson and TJ will give the best points/minute off of the bench, based on last year. I expect a lot from them.

DJ and Thatch are big X factors. Both have shown that they can contribute on a high level. DJ was not consistent last year on offense. FT is just kind of an unknown with a high ceiling. Either could break through. Great defenders.

I doubt that the other 3 will break onto the court much at all this year. That is a bummer for them. Anything could happen, but that is my expectation.

That said, P. Russell Gets an all conference Vote from me. Really like the local star who takes a walk-on. I hope he gets a couple backup minutes and gets hot in at least one game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Here are my starters: YC, JB, JG, HF.

Right now, it is good to assume that J. Bell will start as well, but I would not be surprised if Linssen ends up eating into his minutes because of consistency on offense. 

Gibson and TJ will give the best points/minute off of the bench, based on last year. I expect a lot from them.

DJ and Thatch are big X factors. Both have shown that they can contribute on a high level. DJ was not consistent last year on offense. FT is just kind of an unknown with a high ceiling. Either could break through. Great defenders.

I doubt that the other 3 will break onto the court much at all this year. That is a bummer for them. Anything could happen, but that is my expectation.

That said, P. Russell Gets an all conference Vote from me. Really like the local star who takes a walk-on. I hope he gets a couple backup minutes and gets hot in at least one game.

I'm more interested in who you think will play the most minutes.  What's your top 8, in order by minutes? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I have no idea what P6 teams are still looking.  My assumption is that P6's already have a landing spot, or they have elected to not go to a MTE.  Butler is in that category.  So you are looking at Mid to Low Mids to fill out the Nebraska field, if in fact they can get 16.  You left off Oklahoma State, which will have perhaps the freshman of the year, and who knows, the player of the year in Cade Cunningham.

While criticizing some of the MTE fields, keep in mind that for some of the invited schools, this will help salvage their athletic department.  The low mids aren't paying an entry fee and some will be taking home a buy game check from the MTE.  At KY, Calipari has stated that he wants to help the Detroit program survive. (His son plays there.)  The Coach K Invite is centered around social justice and racial equality. 

While a game against OSU would certainly generate a few intriguing storylines (Travis versus his old team, OSU's talented young guns versus SLU's veterans and tough and gritty defense), it looks like their front court has been depleted after losing their top scorer in McGriff and top defender/center to transfer on a team picked to finish towards the bottom of the B12. Of course games aren't won and lost on paper but wouldn't you rather SLU play teams that, at this point in time, appear to be stronger non-conference opponents? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm more interested in who you think will play the most minutes.  What's your top 8, in order by minutes? 

Starters play a lot >30 min. After that, In order: GJ, TJ, ML, JBell, FT, DJ.

I don’t know how FT or DJ beat out GJ for minutes now. Based on how good he was last year. Who knows, X factors.

If you think about our team early last year, we would take off against our opponents the moment Perkins and Gibson came in. I have to think the coaches noticed it, and will try to get them on the court a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Starters play a lot >30 min. After that, In order: GJ, TJ, ML, JBell, FT, DJ.

I don’t know how FT or DJ beat out GJ for minutes now. Based on how good he was last year. Who knows, X factors.

If you think about our team early last year, we would take off against our opponents the moment Perkins and Gibson came in. I have to think the coaches noticed it, and will try to get them on the court a lot.

I agree with this.  JGood, Thatch, Jacobs, HF and Loco play the hardest 6 mins they can.  Then Perk and Jimerson come in for Thatch and jacobs and go on an immediate 9-0 run to bury the other team.  

That said, I think Perk ends up starting.  He is too good offensively and will be our antidote to prevent cold starts.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I agree with this.  JGood, Thatch, Jacobs, HF and Loco play the hardest 6 mins they can.  Then Perk and Jimerson come in for Thatch and jacobs and go on an immediate 9-0 run to bury the other team.  

That said, I think Perk ends up starting.  He is too good offensively and will be our antidote to prevent cold starts.  

 

Hasnt TF already said Perkins was starting? 
mhg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Billikenbooster said:

Hasnt TF already said Perkins was starting? 
mhg

I completely forgot about Yuri...he starts over jacobs.  I genuinely have no idea of line ups.  Can't wait to see em though

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

I know this might sound implausible but I have had the good fortune to attend some practices and I think one of our break out players will be Jordan Goodwin. He is playing so much better than he did as an arriving freshman and even better than last season—it is amazing that his shooting thus far this season is much much better than earlier in his career. His defense and rebounding are still excellent although I think he is now a better on ball man to man defender, and his leadership is truly something special to watch. Many other players are playing well— Yuri with much more confidence and he seems to have a much better mid range game.  TJ is much more at ease and confident than he was  last year and with his improved defense and shooting he will be a factor. Gibson is hustling all over the court and when he is hot he is an incredible shooter. Frankly, all of the returning players look as good or better than last year and the frosh are impressive as first year players and they have huge potential for the future. If we ever go cold we can rely on our defense but it wont be a pretty way to win. If we are hot—look out!—We could play with anyone.

Thanks for the offer insight! Out of curiosity, how does Markhi Strickland look? I know he’s a freak athlete who can jump through the roof, but how does his overall game look? He’s 1 of those guys that I think a lot of us forget about sometimes, where I don’t really know what to expect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Also, David Duke at Providence still goes by David Duke? Like he doesn't go by Dave? Or like DJ or something?

-he only wears their white jerseys

56 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Here are my starters: YC, JB, JG, HF.

Right now, it is good to assume that J. Bell will start as well, but I would not be surprised if Linssen ends up eating into his minutes because of consistency on offense. 

Gibson and TJ will give the best points/minute off of the bench, based on last year. I expect a lot from them.

DJ and Thatch are big X factors. Both have shown that they can contribute on a high level. DJ was not consistent last year on offense. FT is just kind of an unknown with a high ceiling. Either could break through. Great defenders.

I doubt that the other 3 will break onto the court much at all this year. That is a bummer for them. Anything could happen, but that is my expectation.

That said, P. Russell Gets an all conference Vote from me. Really like the local star who takes a walk-on. I hope he gets a couple backup minutes and gets hot in at least one game.

-look at this, and I agree, we are so damn good that we only need to start four and will still whoop 'em

-LET'S GO BILLS!!!!!:DunkingBilliken:

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

While a game against OSU would certainly generate a few intriguing storylines (Travis versus his old team, OSU's talented young guns versus SLU's veterans and tough and gritty defense), it looks like their front court has been depleted after losing their top scorer in McGriff and top defender/center to transfer on a team picked to finish towards the bottom of the B12. Of course games aren't won and lost on paper but wouldn't you rather SLU play teams that, at this point in time, appear to be stronger non-conference opponents? 

I have no idea how good OSU will be, either at the start or the end of the year.  I looked at one benchmark, Top 144, and they are placed at #32, three places behind of the Bills.  Their write-up pretty much says Cade Cunningham will have to carry this team.  I don't know, but #32 coming out of the box is okay for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Starters play a lot >30 min. After that, In order: GJ, TJ, ML, JBell, FT, DJ.

I don’t know how FT or DJ beat out GJ for minutes now. Based on how good he was last year. Who knows, X factors.

If you think about our team early last year, we would take off against our opponents the moment Perkins and Gibson came in. I have to think the coaches noticed it, and will try to get them on the court a lot.

Interesting, you think our second big off the bench (whoever that turns out to be) will play more than our second guard off the bench.  I guess we'll see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Thatch and/or Jacobs will get more minutes than people are expecting. Coaches value defense. I'm sure Jimerson will play a ton, but he has to prove he can guard at this level. Until that time, there will be plenty of matchups where Thatch and/or Jacobs make more sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...