2020-21 Season

1 hour ago, bauman said:

I'm not sure if we just have a semantics issue here about "last resort", but here's the way I view our NCAA chances this year:

Win the A-10            -         100%

Not winning the A-10          -          50-75 %       

This less than 100% option means we lost our last game before the Sel. Comt. (SC) meets, and just taking your regular season guesstimate of 22-5  and then tacking on losing our last game (in the A-10 tournament) would mean, an overall record of 24-6 , at best, or 23-6 or 22-6.

I know we are dealing with a different number of game this year, but we need to keep in mind that we won 23 regular season games last year, were on a roll at the end of the year, yet according to ESPN/Lunardi were NOT even considered a bubble team!  I think that was a crock of sht, but that's shows the hurdle we need to overcome when we leave our destiny up to a biased SC which is more inclined to include sub-.500 P6 teams than 2nd or 3rd place A-10 teams.

I'm not sure what's wrong with my "line of thinking", when I prefer a 100% chance of making the NCAA as opposed to a less than 100% chance.  To use your words, I don't want to be "very surprised" at not being selected-I want the SC to have no chance to screw us over. 

I think you are picking a nit.  We both want the same thing-the Bills in the NCAA, and I go along with you in thinking we will be good enough this year to be an at-large selection.  My preference, however, is to win the A-10,  What's wrong with that?

A record of 23-6, percentagewise, is equivalent to a 25-7 record in a regular year.  The number of A-10 teams who have been denied an NCAA bid with that high a winning percentage is zero.  That's as close to an 100% chance as there can be as an at-large.

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take this for what it's worth, since I am usually the over expectation police on this board, but the more I think about it, the more I am believing that we are one break out performance away from being very special.  Here is what I mean.

Barring injury, we pretty much know what French, Goodwin, Perkins, and Yuri can give us.  We had those four basically all of last season.  I expect Yuri to improve with a season of experience under his belt, but for now, let's just assume he gives us what he gave last year.  The other three as well.

Now, add to that group, either as a fifth man or as a sub getting a good amount of minutes, one of our other players that has a break out season.  The candidates are: Jimerson, Thatch, Lorentsson, Hargrove, and Strickland (although probably less likely than the other four listed).  In fact, with those five possibilities, I would say that it would be unusual for one of them, just being a numbers game, to not have a breakout season.

If we get the performance from our team from last year, plus one breakout performer.  Watch out.  Two break out performers may not be out of the question.  Thinking about this gets me even more excited.

Some of you may take issue with the players that I didn't include in the possible break out performers.  I think Bell will be solid, but I don't think the improvement in his game will reach the level of what would be considered a drastic difference this year.  I think Jacobs has shown us his abilities, and I don't expect him to be the breakout guy this year.  Linsen just is who he is, a solid back up big man.

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I need a damn shamwow

If that video doesn't get your juices flowing, you need to check your pulse to see if you are still alive!

It moves pretty fast but I think I saw Linssen block a couple of shots down low, maybe even one from Hasahn.

Earning playing time is going to be brutal this year.  Good luck Travis in picking a rotation.

56 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Take this for what it's worth, since I am usually the over expectation police on this board, but the more I think about it, the more I am believing that we are one break out performance away from being very special.  Here is what I mean.

Barring injury, we pretty much know what French, Goodwin, Perkins, and Yuri can give us.  We had those four basically all of last season.  I expect Yuri to improve with a season of experience under his belt, but for now, let's just assume he gives us what he gave last year.  The other three as well.

Now, add to that group, either as a fifth man or as a sub getting a good amount of minutes, one of our other players that has a break out season.  The candidates are: Jimerson, Thatch, Lorentsson, Hargrove, and Strickland (although probably less likely than the other four listed).  In fact, with those five possibilities, I would say that it would be unusual for one of them, just being a numbers game, to not have a breakout season.

If we get the performance from our team from last year, plus one breakout performer.  Watch out.  Two break out performers may not be out of the question.  Thinking about this gets me even more excited.

Some of you may take issue with the players that I didn't include in the possible break out performers.  I think Bell will be solid, but I don't think the improvement in his game will reach the level of what would be considered a drastic difference this year.  I think Jacobs has shown us his abilities, and I don't expect him to be the breakout guy this year.  Linsen just is who he is, a solid back up big man.

imo the possible breakout guy you are sleeping on that would be the put us over the top guy is jimmy bell.  if he becomes the inmoveable inside guy getting us a double double every night.   look out.   we saw glimpses.  

dennis_w and BIG BILL FAN like this

32 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

imo the possible breakout guy you are sleeping on that would be the put us over the top guy is jimmy bell.  if he becomes the inmoveable inside guy getting us a double double every night.   look out.   we saw glimpses.  

Indeed. Take some foul trouble away from Has too.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

If that video doesn't get your juices flowing, you need to check your pulse to see if you are still alive!

It moves pretty fast but I think I saw Linssen block a couple of shots down low, maybe even one from Hasahn.

Earning playing time is going to be brutal this year.  Good luck Travis in picking a rotation.

Linssen does look pretty good in the video, but he definitely did NOT block Hasahn. In fact, Hasahn looks like he is honing his style against him (I toned this down a lot for Linssen’s sake).

57 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I was just going to say it, B’roy. Locomotive is my Yurimania pick this year. Locomania maybe! The train is boarding. Locomania is pulling it, and Yurimania’s driving it! All aboard for a fun ride. 

dennis_w likes this

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'll go with 2 breakout performers.  First in my mind is a no-brainer;  Gibson.  The only thing that will prevent him from being a 15 pt per game guy will be the depth on this team which can limit minutes.  The second is tougher to pick so I'll take the cowards way out and declare it a tie; Fred and TJ.  Both should have outstanding years and obviously, with regard to all three of them, it assumes good health and an injury free season.

Someone wrote in this thread that this is a team built for 35 games.  Agreed and we can get there with 27 regular season games, 3 in the A-10 tournament and 6 in the NCAA for 36 all together.  Let's do it!!!

3 hours ago, bauman said:

I'll go with 2 breakout performers.  First in my mind is a no-brainer;  Gibson.  The only thing that will prevent him from being a 15 pt per game guy will be the depth on this team which can limit minutes.  The second is tougher to pick so I'll take the cowards way out and declare it a tie; Fred and TJ.  Both should have outstanding years and obviously, with regard to all three of them, it assumes good health and an injury free season.

Someone wrote in this thread that this is a team built for 35 games.  Agreed and we can get there with 27 regular season games, 3 in the A-10 tournament and 6 in the NCAA for 36 all together.  Let's do it!!!

I love this post! I honestly believe, assuming health, Gibby will be an all-conference player this year. Defenses have to worry about so much on the inside with Yuri driving along with JGood, Has, and Perk (I know Perk is pretty damn good from the perimeter too, but from inside about 17 feet, he’s automatic!) Jimmmmmmerson is gonna get so many good looks, every 3-point sniper in the country is gonna be envious! I also love the pick of TJ breaking out this year. I really believe so much of his performance last year was due to being so far behind understanding offensive and defensive schemes due to circumstances that were really beyond his control with his coaching in High School. He’s an great kid with an incredible attitude and work ethic and it’s only a matter of time before he becomes a star! I also am on board with Locomania! I’m not sure Jimmy will truly breakout until after Has leaves, but he’s another guy with, obviously, an incredible work ethic, who will become a steady contributor this season.

We know we're rumored to play in the Nebraska MTE per Rothstein and Coach Ford saying it was almost so during his radio show Sunday night. I'm not sure if this was previously posted, but in case not, the following is a link to a post at BloggingTheBracket dot com which keeps track of all current early season tournaments. We're shown as a team in the Elevate Hoops MTE (Nebraska) with confirmed teams and ones, like SLU, which are apparently nearly so.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/21505871/2020-21-college-basketball-early-season-events-mte-thanksgiving-holiday-tournaments-covid-updates

This is of course not official. Plus I'm not sure the info is 100% up-to-date... it is updated as new info obtained. But I really like it, not just for the teams in each tournament, but for the name of each team's previously confirmed tournament. Apologies if previously posted.

7 hours ago, Adman said:

We know we're rumored to play in the Nebraska MTE per Rothstein and Coach Ford saying it was almost so during his radio show Sunday night. I'm not sure if this was previously posted, but in case not, the following is a link to a post at BloggingTheBracket dot com which keeps track of all current early season tournaments. We're shown as a team in the Elevate Hoops MTE (Nebraska) with confirmed teams and ones, like SLU, which are apparently nearly so.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/21505871/2020-21-college-basketball-early-season-events-mte-thanksgiving-holiday-tournaments-covid-updates

This is of course not official. Plus I'm not sure the info is 100% up-to-date... it is updated as new info obtained. But I really like it, not just for the teams in each tournament, but for the name of each team's previously confirmed tournament. Apologies if previously posted.

No TV listed. One would hope FSMW will cover. ESPN all over the Orlando set up. 

It's probably just me but some of those campus events are pure hogwash, with no real competition for the P6 team hosting it.  Looks like a thinly-veiled attempt to just get games in.  Cases in point:

Kentucky hosting Detroit, Morehead State and Richmond (now minus Sherrod)

Illinois hosting NC A&T, Ohio and Wright State.

Iowa hosting Southern and NC Central.

K State hosting SD State, Colorado (exception) and Drake.

Ole Miss hosting Arkansas State, Central Arkansas and Jackson State.

Washington hosting Portland State and Cal State - Fullerton.

Xavier hosting Bradley, Toldeo and Oakland.

Rutgers hosting Fairleigh Dickinson and Rider.

And my personal favorite.....

Duke hosting Elon, Howard and Bellarmine.

brianstl likes this

11 hours ago, Adman said:

Still only showing 11 teams. Are they really going to be able to get to 16? Would be TITTS if we can grab games against LSU, Northern Iowa, and Western KY (probably asking too much).

Obviously not an ideal non-conference schedule, but given what we've lost this year (Memphis, SDSU, possibly Zags/MSU) it could be a lot worse! If the Elevate Hoops MTE can snag a couple more top 75 teams, increasing our chances of landing reasonable opponents (Hoosierpal - do you know what teams are still looking for tournaments?) then our non-conference schedule is somewhat salvageable. 

MSU -_> LSU

Memphis --> Northern Iowa (work with me, folks)

SDSU --> Western KY (could be worse)

Minnesota --> Minnesota

Watch us end up with Nebraska, Cleveland State, and Illinois State....

Given the massive need for sports programming (only the NFL is running in competition) I think almost every game will have TV coverage from somewhere.  That's why I intend to up my sports package in the winter and include ESPN+ in the buy alogn with ESPNU, ESPNews, CBS Sports, and anything else I can get my hands on.  I already have Stadium.  Facebook could even be more options.  

9 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Given the massive need for sports programming (only the NFL is running in competition) I think almost every game will have TV coverage from somewhere.  That's why I intend to up my sports package in the winter and include ESPN+ in the buy alogn with ESPNU, ESPNews, CBS Sports, and anything else I can get my hands on.  I already have Stadium.  Facebook could even be more options.  

Yeah, way to early for people to be worrying about tv options. They don't even know who is in the tournament(s). The TV will get figured out.

Remember, there are no other major sports being played on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday nights from Thanksgiving Eve till New Years. College basketball will be everywhere.

31 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

It's probably just me but some of those campus events are pure hogwash, with no real competition for the P6 team hosting it.  Looks like a thinly-veiled attempt to just get games in.  Cases in point:

Ummmm...... @Taj79 I think we can all agree that, if Covid hadn’t ruined everything, we all would have had Duke, Elon, Howard, and Bellarmine in our Final Four last year. I agree with the lack of competition in the other on campus tournaments, but give credit where credit is due. That Duke tournament is STACKED!

59 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

As @HoosierPal has stated, if you're a decent P6 team why pad your non-conference schedule when your tourney chances rest on conference play? Although not sure how good Washington and Ole Miss are supposed to be this year. K State sucks.

Luckily there are still some good P6 teams willing to play quality non-conference opponents.

35 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

You gotta find and get FSMW. Uverse offers it. Don’t think Comcast does.