Jump to content

Recruiting - 2022


Pistol
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, brianstl said:

1 in 9 people under 18 in the US lives in Texas.

This seems important.

Also, instead of dwelling on Jolly (or other board favorite Obi), how about considering some of the other guys we've gotten from Texas? Danny Brown, Cory Remekun, David Burns, Virgel Cobbin, Larry Simmons - that's a sneaky tough lineup right there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a reminder that Brad Beal Elite (Thames and Kramer) play again today at 1:00 STL time. Stats and streaming will be in the same place as before. They play Team Takeover, which lost by 4 to ProSkills yesterday.

No SLU recruits on Team Takeover, a DC-based program. Plenty of SLU recruits in BBE's pool, though, which includes ProSkills (KyeRon Lindsay, Jalen Reed), MOKAN (Tarris Reed, Damien Mayo, Larry Hughes Jr., Rob Martin), and Albany City Rocks (Amarri Tice). The MOKAN kids and Lindsay have offers, the others just interest for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Just a reminder that Brad Beal Elite (Thames and Kramer) play again today at 1:00 STL time. Stats and streaming will be in the same place as before. They play Team Takeover, which lost by 4 to ProSkills yesterday.

No SLU recruits on Team Takeover, a DC-based program. Plenty of SLU recruits in BBE's pool, though, which includes ProSkills (KyeRon Lindsay, Jalen Reed), MOKAN (Tarris Reed, Damien Mayo, Larry Hughes Jr., Rob Martin), and Albany City Rocks (Amarri Tice). The MOKAN kids and Lindsay have offers, the others just interest for now.

Going outside of our commits on BBE, I really like Miller's game.  Outside of his 3 pt shooting he does everything really well.  Great in transition, plays outstanding defense, unselfish and really sees the court well.  Watching him shoot, I think his 3 point shooting will develop to a respectable level.

On MoKan....... Reed is who we thought he was, Reed is a werewolf.  LHJ's shooting is a really bad right now, just awful.  Rob Martin just does Rob Martin things that make his team better.  Martin's problem is at his height, you really need a skill that jumps out at you and he doesn't have that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Going outside of our commits on BBE, I really like Miller's game.  Outside of his 3 pt shooting he does everything really well.  Great in transition, plays outstanding defense, unselfish and really sees the court well.  Watching him shoot, I think his 3 point shooting will develop to a respectable level.

On MoKan....... Reed is who we thought he was, Reed is a werewolf.  LHJ's shooting is a really bad right now, just awful.  Rob Martin just does Rob Martin things that make his team better.  Martin's problem is at his height, you really need a skill that jumps out at you and he doesn't have that.

Miller is excellent. Smith has been their best player, but both of them have looked like 5-star caliber players for most of the EYBL/Peach Jam so far.

Watching Miller and Smith with Fears, I wonder if BBE would've been better off letting Fears go play for Mac Irvin or MeanStreets. There were a few times yesterday when Miller had a rebound and could have and/or should have given it to Fears to start the offense but either dribbled past him, threw it cross court to Smith, or otherwise ignored him. Once I noticed the top two guys sort of ignoring Fears, I kept noticing it. They were never like that with Martin. Fears is younger and less experienced and has played less with them, plus we've already talked about his poor decision making at times. I think BBE would be even better with him still there, even if Fears is the bigger talent (and physically bigger).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This seems important.

Also, instead of dwelling on Jolly (or other board favorite Obi), how about considering some of the other guys we've gotten from Texas? Danny Brown, Cory Remekun, David Burns, Virgel Cobbin, Larry Simmons - that's a sneaky tough lineup right there.

Let's be honest.  Three of those guys are Valley-level recruits.  Hard workers and good teammates but their numbers speak for themselves.

To land Texas players a notch above that, we would have to beat out mid-level Big 12 programs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had look it up , Floyd McClain from Houston,  in Chris Sloan class.. Thinking we had a Malik , can't think of his last name, maybe late 90's was also from Houston?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Great info here on Williams’ recruitment from @Midtown Madness. I’m surprised WIlliams is still a priority with SLU already having commitments from Thames and Kramer, but I know it’s hard to pass on a top 150 talent if you have a chance to get him.

 

Williams is a priority because he is a Southern Assualt kid, could be a guy you run the offense through and he has a lot of Jordan Goodwin in him.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

Had look it up , Floyd McClain from Houston,  in Chris Sloan class.. Thinking we had a Malik , can't think of his last name, maybe late 90's was also from Houston?

Rasheed Malik.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Williams is a priority because he is a Southern Assualt kid, could be a guy you run the offense through and he has a lot of Jordan Goodwin in him.  

He has a lot of Goodwin grit in him and maybe more athleticism... Kid's got bounce. I would love a southern assault pipeline to go with BBE... That would bring us top tier talent every single year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

This list should begin AND end with the 1 and only Sekeue Barentine!

 

-1995 President of the Sekeue Barentine Fan Club 

Wasn’t Sekeue the Texas Juco intermediate hurdles champ or something like that?  I remember Spoon highlighting his track career at a Billiken Club meeting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Wasn’t Sekeue the Texas Juco intermediate hurdles champ or something like that?  I remember Spoon highlighting his track career at a Billiken Club meeting. 

I believe so. I swear he'd trip over those invisible hurdles on the court, too. I lost track of how many times he'd just fall down in the middle of a game for no good reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, NH said:

Thinking about some of these Texas kids has had me wondering, how many top ~150ish recruits have we gotten from outside of the St. Louis area and/or how many non-local players with more than 2-3 offers from top 100 programs have come to SLU. I can only really think of a couple: Hasahn French and Kwamain Mitchell (HM to Davell Roby, Marcus Bartley and Demarius Jacobs who were all top ~300ish players). And then Cody Ellis and Rob Loe were both highly-touted as well. 

If Forte is able to land some of those type of kids from Texas, it will be very impressive. It is very difficult for schools at SLU's level to win out-of-state recruiting battles for highly ranked players. Honestly I don't think I appreciated enough how significant landing Hasahn French was at the time.

I agree. Macon got both French and Foreman (who was Top 150 out of high school) early on. In some ways, getting a player like French was more impressive than getting players with local ties who wanted to stay close to home.

 Ford stated early on that from his time at UMass, the A-10 is an East Coast league and that will be a recruiting area. It seems most teams in the A-10 that have had success recruit the big cities in the East. 

I have no doubt we'll get players out of Texas - it's a huge state - the question will be are they going to be any good. There are a bunch of big name programs recruiting the top recruits down there. I also wonder how appealing the A-10 will be for a kid from Texas. I get that this strategy is as much about Forte and where his connections are at, but I hope we don't forget the East Coast. Ford said from his time at UMass he learned that there are some big city kids who are more comfortable going to an urban school as opposed to a big state school in a small town. Those are the kind of kids SLU would appeal to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Let's be honest.  Three of those guys are Valley-level recruits.  Hard workers and good teammates but their numbers speak for themselves.

To land Texas players a notch above that, we would have to beat out mid-level Big 12 programs.

Old enough to remember when Texas had a Valley team… you may know it as West Texas A&M… we remember it as West Texas State and Mo Cheeks…and Billiken connection Ron Ekker, who guided the basketball Buffs from 73-77 before arriving in Midtown. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

but sekeue was fast.   just fell a lot. 

now there is a great "where is he now?" 

My wife and I have stayed in touch with Rasheed Malik. Rasheed has stayed in touch with Larry Simmons and Sekeue. I believe they are all in the Houston area. Rasheed who lost his senior year to a heart condition is a school teacher. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Just a reminder that Brad Beal Elite (Thames and Kramer) play again today at 1:00 STL time. Stats and streaming will be in the same place as before. They play Team Takeover, which lost by 4 to ProSkills yesterday.

No SLU recruits on Team Takeover, a DC-based program. Plenty of SLU recruits in BBE's pool, though, which includes ProSkills (KyeRon Lindsay, Jalen Reed), MOKAN (Tarris Reed, Damien Mayo, Larry Hughes Jr., Rob Martin), and Albany City Rocks (Amarri Tice). The MOKAN kids and Lindsay have offers, the others just interest for now.

Check this game out if you're not watching already. Kramer just hit a really nice 3 to end the first quarter. Lost his mane with a shot fake. Somebody from the other team drilled a three-quarter-court bomb after that but it was after the buzzer.

Thames is now 0-3, couldn't convert on two nice moves to the rim and just missed a 3 from the corner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ACE said:

I agree. Macon got both French and Foreman (who was Top 150 out of high school) early on. In some ways, getting a player like French was more impressive than getting players with local ties who wanted to stay close to home.

 Ford stated early on that from his time at UMass, the A-10 is an East Coast league and that will be a recruiting area. It seems most teams in the A-10 that have had success recruit the big cities in the East. 

I have no doubt we'll get players out of Texas - it's a huge state - the question will be are they going to be any good. There are a bunch of big name programs recruiting the top recruits down there. I also wonder how appealing the A-10 will be for a kid from Texas. I get that this strategy is as much about Forte and where his connections are at, but I hope we don't forget the East Coast. Ford said from his time at UMass he learned that there are some big city kids who are more comfortable going to an urban school as opposed to a big state school in a small town. Those are the kind of kids SLU would appeal to.

Part of me wonders if the administration no longer thinks the A10 is the best option both for athletics and for recruiting students overall. The school has to find a way to attract kids from the south going forward.  Not only do more kids live in the south than the northeast, more Catholic kids live in the south now  than the northeast now.  
 

If the American would take us, it makes a lot more sense now than it did in the past.  I still think the Big East would be the best option, because the overall exposure the conference gives members, but I don’t think that is happening anytime in short or medium term.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, willie said:

My wife and I have stayed in touch with Rasheed Malik. Rasheed has stayed in touch with Larry Simmons and Sekeue. I believe they are all in the Houston area. Rasheed who lost his senior year to a heart condition is a school teacher. 

A google search shows Sekeue in Lanaster TX, co-founder of YES, Youth Empowerment Society.  He is also listed as  a Teacher and Coach in the Dallas ISD.  BS from SLU in Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...