GDT: Bonnies on Senior Night

Pistol

44 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Yeah, next year won’t be like the Spoonball squads. We’ll have a couple of top 100 recruits and, like,   half a dozen guys who are 6-8.

I meant along the lines of having perimeter shooting as a primary offensive weapon.

Overall, next year's Billikens Team Blue could be better than the Spoonball teams.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Just a few minutes after Ford delivers a great speech about Roby, you make this sh!t post? 

Actually this is a pretty interesting bit of trivia and timely as Roby acquired the record tonight, plus I'm pretty sure Roby knows he lost all these games.

Roby has 78 losses, Darryll Anderson has 77 losses, and the next two appear to be Dick Missavage and Bob Mueller with 70 losses.

Roby will end with 79 losses.  That record will be his for a very long time.  I blame Pestello.  Sit 2 gets taken care of Roby probably ends up with 70 or so.

Pistol likes this

I was there with my wife. I thought the refs were particularly bad this time around, particularly one that appeared to constantly screw us up. Anyway we lost. Still it was a hard fought game and we did reasonably well and shut down Adams most of the game but we lost.

As far as the senior night goes, it was very nice. Roby was definitely emotional, I am not sure if there were tears in his face when he was speaking or not. Really enjoyed the senior night part of the program. One item that both the players and Ford mentioned repeatedly was the concept of BLUE. BLUE being the team, with its coaches and managers, the people in Chaifetz (including fans) and the Athletic Dept. I fully believe our guys have bought into the concept of BLUE and that it is important for them. I just hope this feeling of union among the team is maintained in the coming years. 

Now, like Ford said, we go to DC to see how many more wins we can get. 

I honestly feel we are heading for the Dance, not this year, but soon. Ford and the kids are doing a great job, and the returning players will be strengthened by a year of adversity and constatnt LONG times of play per game. I think our returning kids may have learned something invaluable facing the odds they have faced this year. Next year will be a lot better.

It was a very nice night despite the loss. To all of you that were there and stayed for Senior night, thank you, the kids deserved it.

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

Actually this is a pretty interesting bit of trivia and timely as Roby acquired the record tonight, plus I'm pretty sure Roby knows he lost all these games.

Roby has 78 losses, Darryll Anderson has 77 losses, and the next two appear to be Dick Missavage and Bob Mueller with 70 losses.

Roby will end with 79 losses.  That record will be his for a very long time.  I blame Pestello.  Sit 2 gets taken care of Roby probably ends up with 70 or so.

Thanks, I was curious and didn’t think asking the question was controversial.

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

The sad thing about it, (correct me if I am wrong) we have gone in less than 5 years from the winningest class to the losingest class. 

SLU_Lax and thetorch like this

11 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

That was the most horrendously refereed game I have ever personally been at. Absolutely no consistency. They get away with murder on defense and then we get called for tacky touch šhit. Unreal. 

With that said, our free throw shooting is awful. And too many stupid turnovers. With Goodwin I have no doubt we’d have secured the four seed with at least one win in the last two. 

It was very very bad. But nothing even comes close to the referees from the Houston game back in December (of course the 1 game I saw in St. Louis this year). That was the worst officiated sporting event I have ever seen.

11 hours ago, thetorch said:

Not really. It’s a stupid stat. Highmark and Claggett for example played on the team tied for most losses in a season. Also, teams tend to play more games in a season now than back in the day.

In an era, when so many kids bail at the first sign of trouble, Roby deserves credit for sticking it out and trying to make things better. Ford clearly appreciates it. 

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Not really. It’s a stupid stat. Highmark and Claggett for example played on the team tied for most losses in a season. Also, teams tend to play more games in a season now than back in the day.

In an era, when so many kids bail at the first sign of trouble, Roby deserves credit for sticking it out and trying to make things better. Ford clearly appreciates it. 

It was a question and the torch answered it. Roby deserves credit for his positive contributions but facts are facts. It's not Roby's fault he's the losingest player in SLU history. It's Crews fault 

Watching the tape, I'm not sure if slowing down the tempo helped us.  Sure, I know why Ford elected to slow the game down, but we were making St Bonnie play only 10 to 15 seconds of defense on each of our possessions. We'd walk the ball up,  8+ seconds to get it across the line, then dribble or hold the ball at the top of the key for another 4 to 5 seconds.  We wouldn't get into our offense until 15 plus or minus seconds left.  Typically after several passes, we'd revert to a one on one move by whomever had the ball.  Too many possessions ended up with a not so great shot in the final 3 to 5 seconds.

When we made our 11-0 run, Hines was pushing the tempo a little harder and we were getting some open looks.  Who knows if we had pushed somewhat harder, longer, maybe the final outcome changes.

43 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Watching the tape, I'm not sure if slowing down the tempo helped us.  Sure, I know why Ford elected to slow the game down, but we were making St Bonnie play only 10 to 15 seconds of defense on each of our possessions. We'd walk the ball up,  8+ seconds to get it across the line, then dribble or hold the ball at the top of the key for another 4 to 5 seconds.  We wouldn't get into our offense until 15 plus or minus seconds left.  Typically after several passes, we'd revert to a one on one move by whomever had the ball.  Too many possessions ended up with a not so great shot in the final 3 to 5 seconds.

When we made our 11-0 run, Hines was pushing the tempo a little harder and we were getting some open looks.  Who knows if we had pushed somewhat harder, longer, maybe the final outcome changes.

Or we could have tired faster.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

The A10 couldn’t allow the only team besides Rhode Island with a shot at an at large bid to hurt their record so we got the reffing display we did. Granted we didn’t shoot well either 

It sure doesn't seem that when the Billikens were good in 2013-14 that the conference officials did anything to help assure them of a premium Tournament résumé!

3 hours ago, ACE said:

It's not a stupid stat just because you dislike it.  Nothing about the fact that Roby was a part of 79 losses does anything to diminish his legacy as the program goes forward or disparage his tenure as a Billiken.  But the fact is a fact, and it's neither stupid nor demeaning.

4 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

It's not a stupid stat just because you dislike it.  Nothing about the fact that Roby was a part of 79 losses does anything to diminish his legacy as the program goes forward or disparage his tenure as a Billiken.  But the fact is a fact, and it's neither stupid nor demeaning.

It’s my opinion it is a stupid stat for a variety of reasons. To use at as a measure for a coach makes sense, but to apply to an individual player is goofy IMO. But IF one really wanted to delve into this, winning percentage would be a much more useful measure.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Or we could have won. 

I highly doubt it.  Ford's strategy to slow down the game was, in part, to limit the Bonnie's possessions and, thus, chances to score.  Their offensive weapons are far superior to ours right now.  As such, they would likely score more often then us if we gave them more opportunities to do so.  We have to junk up games to have a chance because of our current depleted talent level. 

By the way, do you sit in  section 210?

18 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I meant along the lines of having perimeter shooting as a primary offensive weapon.

Overall, next year's Billikens Team Blue could be better than the Spoonball teams.

Agreed, biggest question mark next year is perimeter shooting since all but J-Good will be new.