Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

I wasn't aware the police conducted non criminal investigations. Why would the police investigate any matter unless there was some suspicion of a crime having been committed?

During the invesigation of the allegations, it was determined to be non criminal. They aren't investigating it currently.

Just now, kmbilliken said:

I wasn't aware the police conducted non criminal investigations. Why would the police investigate any matter unless there was some suspicion of a crime having been committed?

Perhaps for the fact that the girls were crying wolf and filing false charges? 

16 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Perhaps for the fact that the girls were crying wolf and filing false charges? 

Don't be hasty. As much as I'm happy to see the lawyers proclaim innocence in the PD article, that's the lawyers' job. The "inconsistency" in the stories could be something incredibly minor and largely irrelevant to the actual case, which the lawyers are taking advantage of to cast doubt on their story to the public.

21 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

I took that to mean that the attorneys believe that no criminal charges will be filed and thus the only action that could be taken is a civil lawsuit brought by the accusers.

1 minute ago, GBL_Bills said:

Don't be hasty. As much as I'm happy to see the lawyers proclaim innocence in the PD article, that's the lawyers' job. The "inconsistency" in the stories could be something incredibly minor and largely irrelevant to the actual case, which the lawyers are taking advantage of to cast doubt on their story to the public.

It's a lawyers job to cast those inconsistencies from minor players into the spotlight. Inconsistencies are wet dreams to defense lawyers. 

Just now, GBL_Bills said:

Understood. However, that doesn't mean we should jump to "the girls are crying wolf"

Agree. I still think there's a good chance of some type of wrongdoing here. I just think that with no legal charges and these lawyers at the defense, it's going to be difficult for the university to do anything too severe. That's why I posted the article about Dez Wells and Xavier. There is a precedent at a similar school for the school to have to pay out a settlement for dismissing an athlete who had no criminal charges. 

My guess is that discipline is handled internally by the staff. I still think multiple game suspension, but based on what we know (which could be a lot, could be minimal), it's hard to imagine a scenario where the players face expulsion like they did in 2010.

5 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

Understood. However, that doesn't mean we should jump to "the girls are crying wolf"

Didn't mention the wolf crying, just meant to say that if they are on record with one thing and there's a gap or question, a good defense attorney will be over that like a pack of dogs on a three-legged cat. 

Tonka likes this

3 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Didn't mention the wolf crying, just meant to say that if they are on record with one thing and there's a gap or question, a good defense attorney will be over that like a pack of dogs on a three-legged cat. 

No, I know you didn't. mrjoelabs did though and I was just saying we shouldn't start assuming the girls are making up anything or crying wolf or anything just because the defense attorney is doing his job

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Agree. I still think there's a good chance of some type of wrongdoing here. I just think that with no legal charges and these lawyers at the defense, it's going to be difficult for the university to do anything too severe. That's why I posted the article about Dez Wells and Xavier. There is a precedent at a similar school for the school to have to pay out a settlement for dismissing an athlete who had no criminal charges. 

My guess is that discipline is handled internally by the staff. I still think multiple game suspension, but based on what we know (which could be a lot, could be minimal), it's hard to imagine a scenario where the players face expulsion like they did in 2010.

The Dez Wells case is incredibly applicable here. The University felt that they had to act on moral high ground, for whatever reason, and it hurt them severely. 

I truly hope, that if no true wrongdoing occurred, the University doesn't hand down a punishment just to hand down a punishment. 

The only real and true fact coming out as of now is that 3 of the players are represented by a lawyer, and the other one by a different lawyer. They are both making statements, as expected, about the innocence of their clients and about how shocked they would be if their clients are charged with anything. I also assume the girls have attorneys by now, likely provided by their own families, even though we do not know who these attorneys may be, their statements are probably going to be the opposite of the players attorneys. Par for the course so far. At least the issue of representation is taken care of.

These are just the preliminaries for the whole thing, I think it is safe to assume nothing has been solved so far. The players have not been set free with a no charges are necessary determination, not yet anyways. It is important, for the safety from civil legal action, that the girls be provided with equally adequate legal representation if they do not have it already, and this includes the un named one that did not go to the hospital. 

Brianstl the lawyers will not go to war with the University if the University was the one that retained them. If they retained their attorneys on their own then the attorneys will be free to go after the University. The more complex the mess gets the lower the likelihood of a happy ending.

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The only real and true fact coming out as of now is that 3 of the players are represented by a lawyer, and the other one by a different lawyer. They are both making statements, as expected, about the innocence of their clients and about how shocked they would be if their clients are charged with anything. I also assume the girls have attorneys by now, likely provided by their own families, even though we do not know who these attorneys may be, their statements are probably going to be the opposite of the players attorneys. Par for the course so far. At least the issue of representation is taken care of.

These are just the preliminaries for the whole thing, I think it is safe to assume nothing has been solved so far. The players have not been set free with a no charges are necessary determination, not yet anyways. It is important, for the safety from civil legal action, that the girls be provided with equally adequate legal representation if they do not have it already, and this includes the un named one that did not go to the hospital. 

Brianstl the lawyers will not go to war with the University if the University was the one that retained them. If they retained their attorneys on their own then the attorneys will be free to go after the University. The more complex the mess gets the lower the likelihood of a happy ending.

No way the U is paying these attorneys 

8 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

No way the U is paying these attorneys 

"The U," no. But I seriously doubt any of those guys would have known to hire Rosenblum, and I also seriously doubt the "pro bono" narrative. I have my own theory as to who brought Rosenblum in, but I don't know enough about NCAA regs on something like this to know if my theory is plausible. 

willie likes this

16 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I have no idea how someone can read the news of the past 24 hours and think that the likelihood of a happy ending (if happy ending is defined as basketball players being able to play) is getting lower.

Don't forget, less than 24 hours ago people thought there were gong to be criminal charges and if not that the players would surely be looking at 1 year suspensions. Today, a 1 yr suspension seems quite extreme and the possibility exists that it's far less than that.