Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

OK, so now we have a mystey angel who is paying the high priced attorneys to represent our players, not the University. This gets interesting. Also the Rogers who is representing only one of the 4 players said the investigation is not criminal, and this may indeed be the case for his client (the cameraman?). Rosenbloom has not said the investigation is non criminal and he is defending the other three players. It is important to know who the mystery party is that is paying for these attorneys. Is this really a trick to steal these players from us, all the way from the girls involved?

Kshoe it all smoke and mirrors, if it is really not a big thing why do they need the big high priced attorneys?

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, bonwich said:

"The U," no. But I seriously doubt any of those guys would have known to hire Rosenblum, and I also seriously doubt the "pro bono" narrative. I have my own theory as to who brought Rosenblum in, but I don't know enough about NCAA regs on something like this to know if my theory is plausible. 

FWIW Rosenblum also recently represented 2 Lindenwood basketball players accused of rape.  I'm not sure anyone would accuse Lindenwood of paying for an athlete's legal representation.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/no-rape-charge-for-two-former-lindenwood-university-basketball-players/article_3ddfd713-676d-5dbe-b5e5-1fdd28b02001.html

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

OK, so now we have a mystey angel who is paying the high priced attorneys to represent our players, not the University. This gets interesting. Also the Rogers who is representing only one of the 4 players said the investigation is not criminal, and this may indeed be the case for his client (the cameraman?). Rosenbloom has not said the investigation is non criminal and he is defending the other three players. It is important to know who the mystery party is that is paying for these attorneys. Is this really a trick to steal these players from us, all the way from the girls involved?

Kshoe it all smoke and mirrors, if it is really not a big thing why do they need the big high priced attorneys?

Old Guy, you need to get back to your suspense novels

2 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Are we sure none of the families involved are well to do?  No because we don't know who the players are.   Lets not jump to conclusions here.  (Unless it's Bonwich then it's ok)

So no one knows who the players are?

It is absolutely not out of the realm of possibility that an attorney such as Rosenblum or Rogers might take this case pro bono.  It is a relatively high profile case - they've already gotten their names in the paper over it (free advertising).  Further, all it takes is one of these guys to make it to the NBA for it to pay off for them down the road.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

It is absolutely not out of the realm of possibility that an attorney such as Rosenblum or Rogers might take this case pro bono.  It is a relatively high profile case - they've already gotten their names in the paper over it (free advertising).  Further, all it takes is one of these guys to make it to the NBA for it to pay off for them down the road.

The fact he did a similar case for Lindenwood players within the last year should ease some of the concerns about how he is getting paid. And this won't even be a criminal case like that one was.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

It could, also, be that they are tired of seeing kids get screwed by the kangaroo court process that occurs at universities in many of these types of cases. 

TheChosenOne likes this

I'm not sure the point of the Lindenwood reference in regard to Rosenblum's fees. I do know that he's had other high profile cases for which he was most certainly paid. If anyone knows for a fact or at least has strong evidence that he (or Rogers) has done work for free or for only a nominal service charge, please say so. 

7 minutes ago, NH said:

Didn't Rogers represent the four SLU students in 2010?

Either he or someone else who was a partner of Rosenblum. The difference here may be that in 2010, the attorney may have just represented them when criminal charges were possible. The P-D article suggests that Rogers and Rosenblum may be involved in the Title IX investigation.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Rogers was Mitchell's attorney on the criminal side.  

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Either he or someone else who was a partner of Rosenblum. The difference here may be that in 2010, the attorney may have just represented them when criminal charges were possible. The P-D article suggests that Rogers and Rosenblum may be involved in the Title IX investigation.

Got it, thanks.

Just now, bonwich said:

I'm not sure the point of the Lindenwood reference in regard to Rosenblum's fees. I do know that he's had other high profile cases for which he was most certainly paid. If anyone knows for a fact or at least has strong evidence that he (or Rogers) has done work for free or for only a nominal service charge, please say so. 

The point from my perspective is that people have insinuated that our players couldn't possibly afford him so where did the funds come from? The obvious implication being that SLU somehow gave them cash for this or has already paid the players cash.

The comparison of him representing Lindenwood players is that nobody in their right mind would suggest Lindenwood players were paid under the table by LU. So either those players found the money themselves, he isn't as expensive as people assume, or he does some work pro bono or at a significant discount. Either way, it wasn't players being paid cash to then pay their legal fees.

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

The point from my perspective is that people have insinuated that our players couldn't possibly afford him so where did the funds come from? The obvious implication being that SLU somehow gave them cash for this or has already paid the players cash.

The comparison of him representing Lindenwood players is that nobody in their right mind would suggest Lindenwood players were paid under the table by LU. So either those players found the money themselves, he isn't as expensive as people assume, or he does some work pro bono or at a significant discount. Either way, it wasn't players being paid cash to then pay their legal fees.

SLU can pay for their defense from what I was told. A booster can not 

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Fair enough, but hence my initial comment about NCAA regs. Is it possible in either case that someone else (not the schools) pays the legal fees? It seems to me that even in the case of the attorney working pro bono that it's the equivalent of someone else paying the legal fees.