Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

8 minutes ago, kshoe said:

So drinking and having consensual sex means automatically kicked off campus if caught?

Seems like the punishment doesn't fit the crime, hence my speeding analogy. Especially considering EVERY other student at SLU is doing the same.

If I am recalling correctly..been some years... 3 infractions = kicked off campus.  Believe me... I had to go through the conduct process.... it was absurd. 

1st infraction was substance abuse classes.

2nd infraction was write a letter / community service type of punishment

3rd infraction was off campus and possible probation. 

All of this can change based on seriousness of the infraction, but this is what i recall. Now that I am recalling it, all of my infractions I was not even drinking! 

I agree punishment does not fit the crime... but you will be punished is what I am saying. They mentioned to me many times in my meetings about "Zero Tolerance" 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You can shove your “liberal “ values. Maybe if some of the players and girls,involved in this fiasco,had some of those “archaic” values, they would have been a lot better off. I’m no defender of the SLU Administration, but there certainly is responsibility that needs to be shared by those involved. 

Really? So you're blaming the players for not taking a conservative Christian approach to sexuality? Might as well kick the whole student body off campus then...Even the students at Liberty University aren't that prude....

34 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

No.

Really?

That would be my take. I don't think they will be cleared by Saturday but I'm guessing they are with the team just in case. 

28 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I haven't  read SLU's handbook completely.  I'm pretty sure banging is discouraged in there somewhere, regardless of sexual orientation or use of contraception.  

Banging is probably frowned upon but I bet making sweet sweet love is OK.

I am a former high school/college Catholic youth minister.  A little Christian morality that night would have saved a lot of pain.  People are obviously free to ignore our call to love one another and follow the teachings of Jesus.  When we embrace the theology of the German Shepherd - (I want what I want when I want it AND If it feels good do it),  people get hurt.  In this situation a very large number of people have been hurt.

Assuming our understanding of the events is reasonably accurate, the girls at the very least were not happy with what happened shortly after the fact.  Clearly our young men didn't care about the girls, let alone love them.  By love I don't mean a stars in their eyes, I mean putting the interest of another person ahead of our own.  I am not excusing the responsibility of the girls either, it would not have taken much thought or courage to change the events of that night.  It really would be nice if we all looked out for one another instead of looking to take advantage of each other. Our young men did not stop to think of the potential consequences that their actions might have on the girls, the team, the school, the fans, the basketball program, coach Ford, their season and their future.  These young men and women put the school in a very tough place. 

Yes I know they are young and beautiful girls are tempting.  Sadly when all of the young people involved look back on their college years this will be an unavoidable memory.   

On the bright side, another big part of Catholic teaching is forgiveness.  My hope is all of the young people involved and the school keep that in mind.  I know attorneys restrict dialog, but it would be nice if the players could genuinely apologize for their actions and the damage that has resulted from those actions.

Some of you may think it is superstitious or a wast of time, but I have been praying for these young men and women.  It is my hope that they have learned a life lesson and take a higher road next time. 

Tonka, Billikid and moytoy12 like this

11 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I am a former high school/college Catholic youth minister.  A little Christian morality that night would have saved a lot of pain.  People are obviously free to ignore our call to love one another and follow the teachings of Jesus.  When we embrace the theology of the German Shepherd - (I want what I want when I want it AND If it feels good do it),  people get hurt.  In this situation a very large number of people have been hurt.

Assuming our understanding of the events is reasonably accurate, the girls at the very least were not happy with what happened shortly after the fact.  Clearly our young men didn't care about the girls, let alone love them.  By love I don't mean a stars in their eyes, I mean putting the interest of another person ahead of our own.  I am not excusing the responsibility of the girls either, it would not have taken much thought or courage to change the events of that night.  It really would be nice if we all looked out for one another instead of looking to take advantage of each other. Our young men did not stop to think of the potential consequences that their actions might have on the girls, the team, the school, the fans, the basketball program, coach Ford, their season and their future.  These young men and women put the school in a very tough place. 

Yes I know they are young and beautiful girls are tempting.  Sadly when all of the young people involved look back on their college years this will be an unavoidable memory.   

On the bright side, another big part of Catholic teaching is forgiveness.  My hope is all of the young people involved and the school keep that in mind.  I know attorneys restrict dialog, but it would be nice if the players could genuinely apologize for their actions and the damage that has resulted from those actions.

Some of you may think it is superstitious or a wast of time, but I have been praying for these young men and women.  It is my hope that they have learned a life lesson and take a higher road next time. 

Great post.

18 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

If I am recalling correctly..been some years... 3 infractions = kicked off campus.  Believe me... I had to go through the conduct process.... it was absurd. 

1st infraction was substance abuse classes.

2nd infraction was write a letter / community service type of punishment

3rd infraction was off campus and possible probation. 

All of this can change based on seriousness of the infraction, but this is what i recall. Now that I am recalling it, all of my infractions I was not even drinking! 

I agree punishment does not fit the crime... but you will be punished is what I am saying. They mentioned to me many times in my meetings about "Zero Tolerance" 

Sounds like three separate infractions. Not 3 infractions that all occurred on the same time.

And if all you are saying is they can't live in the dorms, then who cares. It's kicked out of school thatbis the real problem.

1 hour ago, TheOne said:

If AD is traveling, do we take this as Ford intentionally having him alongside the team in case the ruling comes in before game time tomorrow? At which point he could theoretically suit up and play if I’m not mistaken?

How about he's there to serve as a practice player. I know that's why they were in NY.

32 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Really?

That would be my take. I don't think they will be cleared by Saturday but I'm guessing they are with the team just in case. 

Had he not gone to NYC, I would probably be excited about hearing that he made the trip.

19 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Sounds like three separate infractions. Not 3 infractions that all occurred on the same time.

And if all you are saying is they can't live in the dorms, then who cares. It's kicked out of school thatbis the real problem.

I am saying... if an average student had the same allegations as these men, they would have been suspended.  

4 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Had he not gone to NYC, I would probably be excited about hearing that he made the trip.

That's true. 

I don't think they will be cleared I'm just hoping that's  why they are there.

Who knows. 

In the words of Old Guy

"We will find out when they make an announcement."

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

That's true. 

I don't think they will be cleared I'm just hoping that's  why they are there.

Who knows. 

In the words of Old Guy

"We will find out when they make an announcement."

I definitely hope I'm wrong, but SLU has extinguished any shred of optimism I had left.

21 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Lots of bad posts. I need more reactions. Thanks to kshoe for being one of the only reasonable posters on here in the past 2 hours 

There are too many posts to choose from. If everyone deserves a bad post, no one gets a bad post.

I just got back from lunch and thought, "Well, let's see if there have been any developments since mid-morning..." and then:

oOXDJDU.jpg

CBFan likes this

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There are too many posts to choose from. If everyone deserves a bad post, no one gets a bad post.

I just got back from lunch and thought, "Well, let's see if there have been any developments since mid-morning..." and then:

oOXDJDU.jpg

Did you not get the memo?  Cheerleader Friday has been replaced.  It's now Sanctimonious Friday here at Billikens.com.  

brianstl, moytoy12 and kappy96 like this

23 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

I am saying... if an average student had the same allegations as these men, they would have been suspended.  

Well, at this point the suspension has been for the entire first semester of basketball games.

5 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Well, at this point the suspension has been for the entire first semester of basketball games.

I am not disagreeing.  The entire process has always been ridiculous.. this event is no different.  This is a part of the problem that almost all schools have taken with zero tolerance stance. Even with no charges, I fully expected them to be out a few weeks to an entire semester.   

20 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Did you not get the memo?  Cheerleader Friday has been replaced.  It's now Sanctimonious Friday here at Billikens.com.  

New Schedule:

Sanctimonious Sunday

Malcontent Monday

Triangle-and-Toosday

Waste of Time Wednesday

Thoughtless Thursday

Foo-Foo Friday

Speculation Saturday

JMM28 and Box and Won like this

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

So drinking and having consensual sex means automatically kicked off campus if caught?

Seems like the punishment doesn't fit the crime, hence my speeding analogy. Especially considering EVERY other student at SLU is doing the same.

Yes.  That's part of going to a catholic institution.  I don't necessarily agree that it should happen this way, but that is exactly how it was enforced when I was at SLU and how, I assume, it is enforced now.

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Suspended from what though? 

Suspended from activities.  If that averages student is in a fraternity or sorority, they cannot participate in the fraternity or sorority functions during the suspension.  If the student is in student government, they cannot participate in student government during the suspension.  If the student is the a play, or a choir, or a speech planning committee, they cannot participate during their suspension.  Seems logical that a sports team is the same.