Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

Just now, DeSmetBilliken said:

I reached out to her on Twitter. According to her, the only way they could obtain the Title IX report is if they are given it by the players' attorneys. FOIA request can't obtain it due to federal student privacy laws.

Not to confirm what Jost said, but I've had my doubts about the viability of FOIA requests for reports done by SLU (or by SLU's 3rd party investigators). 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been doing my best to follow the thread this morning and I appreciate all of the comments/discussion points....but what I keep coming back to is that only one of the original penalties was reduced.  Seems strangely odd.  If what we all believe/know is true it just seems to me that at least one of the other accused would have had a good enough case for a reduced sentence as well.

That said, I did hear that JG was never mentioned by the accusers in any of the reports.  As a result, it's possible that during the investigation he was truthful and admitted being there, but since he wasn't identified as being involved he had a stronger case for a suspension reduction.  This might also explain why he was allowed to play.

The result is that Freddy and crew really sucked on this and the two female students walk, 3 kids lose a SLU education and the other gets cheated from completing his freshman year  which I am sure many of the alumni can think back to with great fondness.

JGood's memory of his freshman year will be a witch hunt investigations that got him thrown out, the gold standard.

I hope many will remain diligent about yelling fire Pestello at games and every chance they get.

I will renew my season tickets next season but I will take every opportunity to voice my disgust with Freddy and the gold standard.

LindellWest likes this

1 hour ago, SLU_Lax said:

I think (in relation for Goodwin) this is what the school handled deftly.  It was unjust, unfair, biased, and maybe even a bit racist.  No justice can be reasonably found by their actions.  It did turn out to be okay business.

They cranked up the pressure and handed Goodwin a ludicrous punishment that (at the risk of sounding like an alarmist) could have absolutely ruined his life and would have huge, long-lasting impacts to his future.  If this went to court, SLU would have been at risk of losing a couple million dollars (not a huge deal to them in the big picture).  SLU created a ton of leverage by absolutely railroading Goodwin (and at least 2 of the other 3) when the decision was handed down. 

Goodwin could try to sue the school, but he would now have a lot more to lose.  He just accepted his punishment and apologized.  The statement from Goodwin makes it hard to sue the school later.  Goodwin had too much to risk and ultimately got a reasonable settlement with the school. 

Kratky and Weathers have a Gold Standard process where they create huge leverage over young, black teens.  That leverage effectively backed Goodwin in a corner.  I am happy he returns and relieved for the future of the basketball team. 

I am ashamed at the school, but ultimately they protected their assets and keep the player that would make them the most money.  They sacrificed the other three assets that had less value (and may lose a few million in lawsuits before it is all over), but they have the power as the judge, jury, and executioner.  They make the rules and choose how to interpret the rules.  Now that this is over, they can return to business as usual.

If there is anything to be learned from this for the players, it is that life is not fair (even at a Jesuit institution that likes to speak of seeking justice).  It is more important to be powerful than to be right.  If you find yourself in a compromising situation, then you might just end up compromised.

Well said.  

3 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Boys.... we take this as a WIN... and we move on.... renewing my Tix next year.... for my 11th year on the young alumni discount

Amen.

gather the troops, get them ready for next year.  

See you all in Minneapolis.

God bless

For the people talking about him taking an incomplete, the policy would obviously vary from school to school, but in my experience as an instructor,he'd be a candidate for completing his Spring courses as soon as he returned from suspension. If he returns before the semester ends, he could even just turn in the work at that time. Most profs would put enough info on BlackBoard for him to follow along online even if he couldn't attend lectures. That said, he could also have enough credit from Althoff if he was proactive and took 1818 or AP classes to be considered on track for graduation. In the end, I highly doubt the AD will cast him adrift and just cross their fingers that he'll be in good academic standing by the time classes start back up in Fall.

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

There's a reason you're, pound for pound, the best poster here. http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?/topmembers/ . Another great post.

just keeping it real.... trying my best, let God do the rest. Go Bills. 

7 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Boys.... we take this as a WIN... and we move on.... renewing my Tix next year.... for my 11th year on the young alumni discount

Completely agree with this. 

In a perfect world you MAY get justice, in the world we live in you get what you can get. As it is, keeping Goodwin in the team for next year is a huge win for us. I'd bet Ford and even perhaps May pushed like hell for this kind of outcome. Whatever. Now let's hope Bishop also gets some kind of a more lenient sentence and we should be very happy.

10 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

While I'm very glad it isn't worse, this is over when Pestello pays the piper. This was horribly managed, and the only saving grace was they only effed 75% of the decisions. Not good enough 

JMM28 likes this

1 minute ago, LindellWest said:

While I'm very glad it isn't worse, this is over when Pestello pays the piper. This was horribly managed, and the only saving grace was they only effed 75% of the decisions. Not good enough 

I like this take. I honestly don't want to see the school take the hit. I want to see Pestello, Kratky and Weathers take this hit personally.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Completely agree with this. 

In a perfect world you MAY get justice, in the world we live in you get what you can get. As it is, keeping Goodwin in the team for next year is a huge win for us. I'd bet Ford and even perhaps May pushed like hell for this kind of outcome. Whatever. Now let's hope Bishop also gets some kind of a more lenient sentence and we should be very happy.

Justice?-- You get justice in the next world.

Ford press conference now...

Worry about things in his control. Trying to figure out what to do going forward. 

Had a convo with his parents and him, private convo. 

"Does this give you any closure" - Stutter, stammer, wanting to say no it doesn't but says he is just trying to focus on today and practice. Trying not to get caught up. 

"Are you confident Jordan handled this in the best manner possible" = Yes

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I like this take. I honestly don't want to see the school take the hit. I want to see Pestello, Kratky and Weathers take this hit personally.

I agree, but if that happens, SLU will take a hit on it. 

I really would like to see this "gold standard" thoroughly analyzed. Explain how evidence is treated, or is the important thing how someone feels.